British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Car Insurance - HELP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-car-insurance-help-674051/)

Penny H Jun 25th 2010 11:05 pm

US Car Insurance - HELP

Hello
I have been in North Carolina for a week, my husband has been posted here on an army exchange.
We need to get car insurance but are getting quotes for over $4000 a year!!
It seems we count as new drivers with no experience.
Could anyone recommend a car insurance company that takes the UK driving experience in to consideration or any insurance company that seems to give reasonable rates?
Thanks

lisag8070 Jun 25th 2010 11:09 pm

Re: US Car Insurance - HELP

Originally Posted by Penny H (Post 8657737)
Hello
I have been in North Carolina for a week, my husband has been posted here on an army exchange.
Could anyone recommend a car insurance company that takes the UK driving experience in to consideration or any insurance company that seems to give reasonable rates?
Thanks

we used Geico whilst we were in NC, they accepted a letter from our UK Insurers (AA) stating how long we had been driving and that we had 10 years with no claims made.

AA were really great, they e-mailed me the letter and I sent it to Geico and all was OK.

Also try progressive and state farm...Good Luck

dbj1000 Jun 26th 2010 12:02 am

I think we paid ~$1800 for the first 6 months with Progressive. Next six months were ~$900 with AAA. The following year we were down to "normal" rates.

cranston Jun 26th 2010 12:30 am

We use Geico, found them to be really good. Worth a call.:thumbsup:

Desinflorida Jun 26th 2010 4:49 am

Hi, I have posted a few times on AIG/ Chartis who provide a service for people relocating to the states. It costs $400 to join but others have used the for car insurance saying they save more than the joining fee in 1 years car insurance alone and they provide all kinds of other services. I have used them for renters insurance and have found them very competitive with excellent customer service. The quotes I got for a 2 yr old Volvo XC90 were not as frightening as I had expected with a decent level of cover and I will almost certainly use them when I arrive in Florida in a week's time. Worth checking out my previous threads for details using the search function.
http://www.aig.com/inbound-united-st..._20_15807.html

good luck.

Lazzza Jun 26th 2010 2:56 pm

We went with AIG. In the UK OH has 3 points on licence and I have 6. All speeding. We both have max years of no claims. We are both 38. I drive a Pathfinder V6 and OH drives a Camaro. Both new cars. We pay $900 every 6months. That is for both not each. We were advised to go to AIG by HSBC, where we have our bank accounts. I have also read on other posts the State Farm are good but my OH tried them and they were much more expensive.

By the way, neither one of us yet has our Texas licence.

taffie77 Jun 27th 2010 1:07 am

We're with Progressive too, and currently pay $170 a month, based on my husband's UK licence. Now that he has received his Mn licence, they will drop the price. We're waiting for me to receive my licence before adding my name on the insurance.

MsElui Jun 27th 2010 1:29 am

we have 2 cars with AIG too (policy now administered by a company called 21st century) and it has cost us about $450 per 6 months since we have been here. Thats for a used dodge ram truck and a new ford explorer.

Steve_I Jun 28th 2010 12:47 am

We're still on UK licences in SC. $1500 for the first six months with Omni insurance through a local broker. :eek: Not a lot of companies will provide cover until you get a local licence. Until then, I think it's a case of biting the bullet!

EricK Jun 28th 2010 4:20 pm

I got my cover through AIG travel assist. They placed me with 21st Century. $420 for 6 months full cover, BMW 335i, I'm 37yrs old and had been here for 1 month when I took out the policy. Live in Stamford CT.

Duncan Roberts Jun 28th 2010 4:59 pm

I had good luck with State Farm, helps if you can get an agent who know the underwriting process and can fit you in with the most discounts.

fatbrit Jun 28th 2010 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Penny H (Post 8657737)
Hello
Thanks

You don't say what you're driving.

Look at cutting out collision if the car's not worth too much, also at knocking out medical if you and your likely passengers are already covered under other policies.

Shop, shop and shop around.

Bob Jun 28th 2010 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 8663240)
You don't say what you're driving.

Look at cutting out collision if the car's not worth too much, also at knocking out medical if you and your likely passengers are already covered under other policies.

Shop, shop and shop around.

And whack up the deductibles.

Plenty of threads on the subject though....and you'll not really find anyone taking your UK history into account and anyone that say they do are selling you a line.

Tonyuk Jun 30th 2010 10:11 pm

I bought a Ford F350 Truck and i couldnt use my no claims from england, but i went with thegeneral.com $133 a month, which i find reasonable, and check your states required minimum insurance policy if you want them to be low as possible and think about a higher deductible.

HarryTheSpider Jul 15th 2010 9:38 pm

Hi

Does the insurance normally have to be paid in lumps of 6 months, up front?

Does it work on a person by person basis, or is it on a car by car basis or what - just trying to do some cash flow planning before the move!

Cheers

Harry