Reload this Page >

US Car Insurance and buying cars as an expat

US Car Insurance and buying cars as an expat

Old Dec 2nd 2016, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

RichJMiles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Car Insurance and buying cars as an expat

Hi all

My wife and I (and two children) will be moving over to California early next year and we will be needing to get two cars, one for my work and one for my wife. I've looked at various forums / suggestions and a v popular one seems to go through a company like International Auto Source to get one car as it helps build up your credit and they say they will get you a good deal. I will then just buy a cheaper car outright. However, insuring these seems to be an issue. I can get insurance for the new one via Int Auto Source but was wondering who the best company to use would be to avoid high costs. We would be looking at something like a 2008 audi A4 or GMC Terrain Truck? Both no more than $11k.

People seem to say AIG and Geico are good - any ideas? We both have over 10 years no claims in the UK and no points??

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 3:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Car Insurance and buying cars as an expat

Hi Rich and welcome to BE

This is the welcome inn where we ask you to tell us a little about yourself and you have done that.

For answers to your auto rental/purchase and car insurance questions I suggest that you take that up in the our US Forum USA - British Expats

This comes up almost weekly as each new immigrant has the same questions. Please feel free to do a search of the US forum using the search function. I have moved this to the appropriate forum for your. Insurance is not really a problem obtaining. It is if you want or feel that you should be able to use your good driving record from the UK. Most companies will not allow you to use this. There are one or two that will. So have a go at the forum and good luck with your move.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 3:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichJMiles
I can get insurance for the new one via Int Auto Source but was wondering who the best company to use would be to avoid high costs. We would be looking at something like a 2008 audi A4 or GMC Terrain Truck? Both no more than $11k.
Adding the second car to the insurance you will already have could be the cheapest option. Most insurance companies give a discount if you insure more than one vehicle with them. Likewise if you subsequently need house insurance.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

RichJMiles is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Lansbury and apologies Rete - i'll repost there but thanks again for all the inf from both.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 4:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And you receive a further discount if you use the same insurance company for your house or rental insurance. Also the area you live in and the make and model and year of the car and who holds driver's licenses in your household all figure in to the cost of the insurance premium.

I had GEICO for over 40 years. Started when you had to be a government employee to qualify to use them. Today anyone can be insured by them. They are not cheapest out there but their service is excellent. They were prompt and fair on any claims I had over my 40 years with them.

You will find that used cars are almost as expensive as buying them new off the lot. You might want to look for one privately (but only if you have a trusty mechanic to go over it).
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

As for insurance, I've used liberty mutual as they took my UK experience into account.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 7:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichJMiles
..... We would be looking at something like a 2008 audi A4 or GMC Terrain Truck? Both no more than $11k. .....
Be prepared to see some truely stratospheric mileages on vehicles of that age and in that price range. It isn't uncommon to see 8-9 year old vehicles with 150,000+ miles on the clock. Our Accord took eight years to reach 200,000 miles, and is currently pushing 320,000 miles, and aside from replacing the engine at 296,000 miles, most of the mechanical parts, including steering, suspension, transmission, axles and bearings are original! ..... Even the clutch is original, which we discussed replacing when the engine was out, but the mechanic reported that the clutch was in good shape and contrary to expectation and customary practice, he said he was comfortable with the decision to leave the original clutch in.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 11:07 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

There are so many variables it's hard to provide precise recommendations. However, based on my experience moving to California...

I suggest you call around and try to find someone who will take your UK driving record into account. I brought nice letters from my UK employer and UK insurance agent with me which helped quite a bit. The best deal I found at that time was from Farmers.

I later moved to Amica and have been very happy with them for many years. Rates have been highly competitive (I solicit other quotes every year or two) and service has been exceptional, even when dealing with a claim.