British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Born Child of UK Parents... Process? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-born-child-uk-parents-process-242972/)

superpat Jul 19th 2004 4:07 am

US Born Child of UK Parents... Process?

Hi All,

I've searched the forum and looked at the British Embassy/Consulate web page, so I understand the basics, but....

Our second child is due to be born by scheduled c-section tomorrow in San Jose, CA. We plan to visit the UK in October or so for a short trip - 2-3 weeks.

It looks like we
  • Get a US birth certificate and SSN from the hospital
  • Apply for US passport in normal way - 5-6 week wait unless we pay extra
  • Register birth with UK embassy in Washington DC
  • Apply for UK passport from UK embassy in Washington, DC
Now, in terms of timing, I guess we can get the US passport by October, easy peasy. We can travel to the UK and back with baby using his US passport.

Any advice or pointers? Should we really try and get the UK passport as well, before we travel?

And... Given that we are here on L1/L2s, which lane do we go in at the airport when we come back? US Citizens? Visitors???

Cheers,

Pat

Ash UK/US Jul 19th 2004 6:02 pm

Re: US Born Child of UK Parents... Process?

Originally posted by superpat
Hi All,

I've searched the forum and looked at the British Embassy/Consulate web page, so I understand the basics, but....

Our second child is due to be born by scheduled c-section tomorrow in San Jose, CA. We plan to visit the UK in October or so for a short trip - 2-3 weeks.

It looks like we
  • Get a US birth certificate and SSN from the hospital
  • Apply for US passport in normal way - 5-6 week wait unless we pay extra
  • Register birth with UK embassy in Washington DC
  • Apply for UK passport from UK embassy in Washington, DC
Now, in terms of timing, I guess we can get the US passport by October, easy peasy. We can travel to the UK and back with baby using his US passport.

Any advice or pointers? Should we really try and get the UK passport as well, before we travel?

And... Given that we are here on L1/L2s, which lane do we go in at the airport when we come back? US Citizens? Visitors???

Cheers,

Pat
Our daughter was born late last Dec we wanted to take her to England the following Feb.

Get a US birth certificate and SSN from the hospital
That is not true... at least not in Michigan. When our daughter was born a woman came to register the birth in the hospital. You will get a hospital birth record certificate before you leave the hospital but the actual birth cert takes upto 3 weeks to be mailed to you... I explained to the woman that I needed the proper birth cert sooner and she called the details over (rather than mail them) to the office and my husband was allowed to pick up the cert a couple of days later. Also we applied for her SSN at the hospital that did come about 3 weeks later in the mail... we didn't need that to apply for her passport. If I remember correctly you just enter '0' in each box of the SSN section.

Apply for US passport in normal way - 5-6 week wait unless we pay extra
Put your application in at the Post Office.. it costs a little extra but they check to make sure it is all correct. We got the passport back in less than 2 weeks.

Like I said tho... that was in Michigan it may be different in CA

Ash :)

Ash UK/US Jul 19th 2004 6:08 pm

Re: US Born Child of UK Parents... Process?

Originally posted by superpat
Hi All,

I think it is only permanant residents that go through with the US citizens.

Ash :)

ScousePete Jul 19th 2004 6:20 pm

Here's a thought:

Can a baby USC petition its parents for residency? Could the parent complete I-130 for the baby?

Ash UK/US Jul 19th 2004 6:21 pm

Originally posted by ScousePete
Can a baby USC petition its parents for residency? Could the parent complete I-130 for the baby?
No :p

marlborobell Jul 19th 2004 6:27 pm

Originally posted by ScousePete
Here's a thought:

Not until the baby turns 21.

Sorry.

Alistair (H-1B with a US-born baby too!)

ScousePete Jul 19th 2004 6:38 pm

Originally posted by marlborobell
Not until the baby turns 21.

Sorry.

Alistair (H-1B with a US-born baby too!)
gotcha, thanks.