Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Born Child of English Born Mother...AAARRGGHH!

US Born Child of English Born Mother...AAARRGGHH!

Old Mar 12th 2009, 3:52 am
Just Joined

catinhat95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Born Child of English Born Mother...AAARRGGHH!

I was born in the US in 1981. My mother was born in England in 1953 and came to america when she was a baby with my grandparents. My grandmother was born in England and became a naturalized US citizen in the 1960s. My mother was allowed to become naturalized at the age of 16 or 17, even though she was under age. I want to apply for English citizenship by descent. Is my mother still considered an English citizen and how do I prove this? Will I have a problem getting English citizenship?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 4:54 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Born Child of English Born Mother...AAARRGGHH!

There is no such thing as English citizenship - what you are seeking is British citizenship. Your mother is a British citizen and her birth certificate proves it. You can apply to register as a British citizen. Read the following for more details:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...britishmother/

Originally Posted by catinhat95
I was born in the US in 1981. My mother was born in England in 1953 and came to america when she was a baby with my grandparents. My grandmother was born in England and became a naturalized US citizen in the 1960s. My mother was allowed to become naturalized at the age of 16 or 17, even though she was under age. I want to apply for English citizenship by descent. Is my mother still considered an English citizen and how do I prove this? Will I have a problem getting English citizenship?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

catinhat95 is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, thanks and sorry for the incorrect wording. I am confused because on the ship's passenger list when my mother came to this country as a baby it says she is "stateless" -- her father was from the ukraine. all she has is a birth certificate. Do you think this will be a problem? Approximately how long does this process take and will I have to hand over my passport for the process? I need it for upcoming travel to NZ. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catinhat95
Okay, thanks and sorry for the incorrect wording. I am confused because on the ship's passenger list when my mother came to this country as a baby it says she is "stateless" -- her father was from the ukraine. all she has is a birth certificate.
If she was born in Britain before 1983, she's British! The fact that someone working for a ship company decades ago wrote down something different is irrelevant.

Do you think this will be a problem? Approximately how long does this process take and will I have to hand over my passport for the process? I need it for upcoming travel to NZ. Thanks in advance for all your help.
The application for registration as a British citizen takes a few months. Although it is sent to the Home Office in Britain for processing, it should be lodged at the British Embassy.

You will also need to attend a citizenship ceremony, at a British consular office in the United States.

I see no reason why you should have to hand over your American passport. You would be eligible for registration even if you had no passport. Also, the registration is a statutory entitlement and cannot be refused if the requirements are met.

(it would be nice if there was something similar governing the issue of British passports).

If you want to ask further about registration as a British citizen, try http://www.immigrationboards.com