Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US boarding schools - sport

US boarding schools - sport

Old Oct 15th 2018, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US boarding schools - sport

Some students benefit from spending their gap year on an exchange at a US boarding school. Maybe the OP did this, and she doesn't say why she doesn't do the same for her son, which makes more sense than what she is proposing.
Old Oct 15th 2018, 12:13 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The best US youth soccer is NOT done in the schools.

US Soccer runs what are known as the "Development Academy" program. They are tied to the MLS clubs, USL clubs and to private youth soccer clubs that meet certain standards of coaching, pitch quality, etc. Kids who are selected for development academy football specifically CANNOT play high school level soccer, which leads to the top players forgoing their school-based programs. With a few exceptions (i.e. IMG) you are not going to see the best quality football being played in high schools.

This is a huge debate in the US Soccer community that goes on and on.

https://www.socceramerica.com/public...flaws-the.html
https://www.soccertoday.com/high-sch...pment-academy/
https://www.socceramerica.com/public...clubs-and.html

Also note if you send your kid to the USA the years before university it may affect their residency for the purpose of tuition fees in the UK.
Old Oct 16th 2018, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

maemaesmummy is an unknown quantity at this point

My kid is in the USSDA program...I can say that the coaching is abysmal even at that level compared to the UK. He was in the Manchester City FC academy in the UK from age 5 .

There are a couple of soccer schools where they utilize the virtual school and do soccer in the morning with academics in the pm
Old Oct 16th 2018, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maemaesmummy
My kid is in the USSDA program...I can say that the coaching is abysmal even at that level compared to the UK. He was in the Manchester City FC academy in the UK from age 5 .

There are a couple of soccer schools where they utilize the virtual school and do soccer in the morning with academics in the pm
My husband would agree and he coaches a U17 team in the USSDA along with his private stuff. (He's a fantastic coach of course - played for Man City once upon a time!).

He actually has two 16 year old private students who are doing the fall semester at Spanish soccer schools as the coaching is pretty highly rated there.