British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-bit-trigger-happy-fiance-visa-how-do-i-628765/)

ian-mstm Sep 2nd 2009 8:13 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...

Originally Posted by michigan_jim (Post 7898146)
That is your opinion, and I respect it, although I disagree with it.

I respect your right to disagree with me! :) It's the American way!

Ian

caleyjag Sep 2nd 2009 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by bohemianprincess (Post 7897006)
Thanks for all your time and advice Penguinsix :) I think I am starting to get it now. And I thought the US was laid back. Not so much. Okay so he visits, goes home, we apply for fiance visa from there. So not fun.

Correct.

Since he can't work during the 90days window, I guess that leaves more time for entertaining one another and how well you really do click.

So probably quite a lot of fun, actually! :lol:

bohemianprincess Sep 2nd 2009 10:00 pm

omg I LOVE this site! You people are a fiery, quick-witted, interesting bunch of cool peeps. I'm thankful to have stumbled upon y'all :D

I've gotta think of more questions for so we can hang. I'll be back.

bohemianprincess Sep 2nd 2009 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by caleyjag (Post 7898417)
Correct.

Since he can't work during the 90days window, I guess that leaves more time for entertaining one another and how well you really do click.

So probably quite a lot of fun, actually! :lol:

Nice "glass half full" thinking. LOL :ohmy:

penguinsix Sep 3rd 2009 10:49 am

Originally Posted by bohemianprincess (Post 7898448)
omg I LOVE this site! You people are a fiery, quick-witted, interesting bunch of cool peeps. I'm thankful to have stumbled upon y'all :D

I've gotta think of more questions for so we can hang. I'll be back.

You should have posted "I visited Disneyland and now me and the misses want to move to Florida. Where should I buy a house? I'm on the dole and the wife is a certified street sweeper." That would have been even more fun (and yes, we get one of those a week or so...)

Bob Sep 3rd 2009 2:29 pm

Errr....if the bloke has a stack of money from his own business, perhaps look into buying into a business over in the US, talking a lot of cash here to do that, but it's a potential option.

Also, you've got 6 months in the UK without needing a visa so if you can afford to take that much time off, it would give you guys more time together than just trying to concentrate on the US alone, which realistically isn't a goer for him unless you get married.

candyfloss Sep 3rd 2009 4:07 pm

Hi

just thought I wouldtell my story , I met my US husband on line nearly 4 years back ( Im a Brit ) , we corresponded for a year then I took a 2 week holiday in US I guess to confirm what we felt face to face ,person to person, then he took a 2 week holiday with me in Cyprus ( where I was living ) after that we went right ahead and decided I would move to be with him in US so we did it by the way of a fiancee visa , this has worked out the best and easiest , I arrived in December 08 , we had to marry within 90 days or loose the visa , then you follow on and do the procedures to become permanent resident, all in all its taken us around 15 months from first submitting the finacee visa forms so I think thats not so long to wait and of course 8 of those months I was in US with my man, I got the Green card last week and have permission to work , great ,things can only get better now :thumbsup:

Ray Sep 3rd 2009 4:18 pm

Stick with Social security ..far more reliable than the scotch

bohemianprincess Sep 4th 2009 9:35 pm

[QUOTE=Bob;7900670]Errr....if the bloke has a stack of money from his own business, perhaps look into buying into a business over in the US, talking a lot of cash here to do that, but it's a potential option.

Nope no stacks, at least not any that are "cash" in nature.

Jan Alaska Sep 6th 2009 12:00 pm

I hate to do this but .... first of all you state [I am currently receive Social Security monies from the US gov] then in a later post you say [Well here in Texas illegally entering adults can enroll their children in our public schools, which btw, we taxpayers provide the funding for]. Unless this Social Security money is supplemental to your regular income then you are not a tax payer either.

Onto the main topic, yes he can come and visit on the VWP for up to 90 days, make sure he has enough money or can show access to enough money for that length of stay or immigration will question him. At least that will give you time to decide if you want to be with him or not.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 6th 2009 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by jan_michigan (Post 7908694)
I hate to do this but .... first of all you state [I am currently receive Social Security monies from the US gov] then in a later post you say [Well here in Texas illegally entering adults can enroll their children in our public schools, which btw, we taxpayers provide the funding for]. Unless this Social Security money is supplemental to your regular income then you are not a tax payer either.

Onto the main topic, yes he can come and visit on the VWP for up to 90 days, make sure he has enough money or can show access to enough money for that length of stay or immigration will question him. At least that will give you time to decide if you want to be with him or not.

That's funny.

I had a lady around the other day canvassing for an increase in Sales Tax to fund a large School Bond.

meauxna Sep 6th 2009 5:30 pm

Before this turns into an ugly 'no I'm not!' thing, there is a survivor's benefit under SS when a parent dies. The money she's receiving is for her child; if she remarries she no longer gets the supplemental. Now, I could have the details wrong, but bottom line is that usually the surviving parent also has to work since it's not a ton of $$ we're talking about.
More disturbing to think a person would move a stranger into their home with a child. I know *she* doesn't think he's a stranger but if they haven't met in person, that is the definition I'm sticking to.

bohemianprincess Sep 6th 2009 10:01 pm

It's okay lol. Actually I own a home and pay property taxes out the ying. And up until my daughter was born, I was employed and paying income taxes. I receive social security because my husband died and I am raising our daughter alone, and because he was finacially savvy, he contributed the max to the SS fund, and now it's coming back to me. Plus OMG sales tax is 8.25% here! Anyway hope that satisfied. :)

bohemianprincess Sep 6th 2009 10:06 pm

BTW, can anyone tell me how to do the multi-quote thing? I don't know what do after I click on it. Thanks.

Rete Sep 6th 2009 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by bohemianprincess (Post 7909647)
BTW, can anyone tell me how to do the multi-quote thing? I don't know what do after I click on it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by bohemianprincess (Post 7909641)
It's okay lol. Actually I own a home and pay property taxes out the ying. And up until my daughter was born, I was employed and paying income taxes. I receive social security because my husband died and I am raising our daughter alone, and because he was finacially savvy, he contributed the max to the SS fund, and now it's coming back to me. Plus OMG sales tax is 8.25% here! Anyway hope that satisfied. :)

I believe our sales tax is now 8.75% ... isn't it loverly?

The multi-quote works like this

On the bottom right of the posts you want to quote clink on the third box (the one just to the right of the return arrow box). Once all of them are clicked, press quote and there you go.