British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-bit-trigger-happy-fiance-visa-how-do-i-628765/)

jeffreyhy Sep 2nd 2009 4:28 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...
 
ps,

There are a few million long-term unemployed people here in the USA who might disagree with that. A number of them have started threads here bemoaning the fact.

Regards, JEff



Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 7896976)
Getting a job is the easy part.


bohemianprincess Sep 2nd 2009 5:21 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...
 

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy (Post 7897367)
ps,

There are a few million long-term unemployed people here in the USA who might disagree with that. A number of them have started threads here bemoaning the fact.

Regards, JEff

You're right. I think my immediate knee-jerk reaction was "OMG I have to get married in 90 days!", not realizing the entire process before getting to that point. LOL

michigan_jim Sep 2nd 2009 6:37 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...
 

Originally Posted by bohemianprincess (Post 7897030)
Thanks for your messages. Yes, you're right, I'm totally frustrated. I thought the US was all about bending the rules. Hard to swallow that aliens that cross the borders illegally have more rights and benefits than actual life-long citizens. But what can you do? Nada...

"aliens that cross the borders illegally" technically don't have rights... we just don't have the political will to properly enforce the laws.
EDIT: I stand corrected; they do have certain basic human rights, as they should. However, they do NOT have the right to remain in the U.S.

I'd recommend that you read the horror stories on this board, and I believe that you will want to do it the "right" way. "Bending the rules" is about as advisable as Russian roulette -- works out for some, REALLY goes bad for others. (And if you really want to see how much they DON'T bend the rules, please see my recent thread whose subject line begins with "$585".)

Best wishes!

-- Jim

ian-mstm Sep 2nd 2009 8:06 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...
 

Originally Posted by michigan_jim (Post 7897736)
"aliens that cross the borders illegally" technically don't have rights... we just don't have the political will to properly enforce the laws.

With all due respect, everyone on US soil is protected by the US Constitution, the Amendments thereto, and the entire body of law that flows from it.



However, they do NOT have the right to remain in the U.S.
They are, as part of those rights that they do have, entitled to "due process".




And if you really want to see how much they DON'T bend the rules, please see my recent thread whose subject line begins with "$585".
That's a non sequitur if I ever saw one. You, and you alone, caused the issue that you now face. They caught *your* mistake the first time and gave you a chance to fix it... you didn't. They were flexible... you were the rigid one.

Ian

michigan_jim Sep 2nd 2009 8:14 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...
 

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 7897967)
That's a non sequitur if I ever saw one. You, and you alone, caused the issue that you now face. They caught *your* mistake the first time and gave you a chance to fix it... you didn't. They were flexible... you were the rigid one.

My opinions on that topic are posted in *that* thread, so no need to re-hash them here... suffice it to say that I respectfully disagree with the "you alone" portion of your post.

fatbrit Sep 2nd 2009 8:14 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...
 
Just a small note for the new Midwest posters here who've never left the town they were born in: this site is full of bloody immigrants.

michigan_jim Sep 2nd 2009 8:17 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...
 

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7897991)
Just a small note for the new Midwest posters here who've never left the town they were born in: this site is full of bloody immigrants.

I am all for immigrants who come here legally, which I would imagine includes most, if not all, who are on this site. In fact, oddly enough, I am madly in love with a *certain* prospective immigrant. :)

fatbrit Sep 2nd 2009 8:20 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...
 

Originally Posted by michigan_jim (Post 7898000)
I am all for immigrants who come here legally, which I would imagine includes most, if not all, who are on this site. In fact, oddly enough, I am madly in love with a *certain* prospective immigrant. :)

It may cause you to rethink some of your stereotypes. Let's face it: everyone knows at least one good immigrant.

michigan_jim Sep 2nd 2009 8:27 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...
 

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7898006)
It may cause you to rethink some of your stereotypes. Let's face it: everyone knows at least one good immigrant.

Well, with one Mexican aunt and one German aunt, I know at least two... when you mix in co-workers, that adds at least another half-dozen or so.

And though I don't know them personally, everyone here seems to be of decent character, so they'd also be on that list.

:thumbup:

fatbrit Sep 2nd 2009 8:30 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...
 

Originally Posted by michigan_jim (Post 7898027)
Well, with one Mexican aunt and one German aunt, I know at least two... when you mix in co-workers, that adds at least another half-dozen or so.

And though I don't know them personally, everyone here seems to be of decent character, so they'd also be on that list.

:thumbup:

Wow! An international man of mystery, no less. So with all these great influences, where did it all go wrong?

michigan_jim Sep 2nd 2009 8:34 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...
 

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 7898036)
Wow! An international man of mystery, no less. So with all these great influences, where did it all go wrong?

I'm hurt... what makes you think it "went wrong"?

:ohmy:

Boiler Sep 2nd 2009 8:38 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...
 

Originally Posted by TracyTN (Post 7897171)
I guess I was thinking mainly of Oklahoma - know they are not so immigrant friendly anymore. And I did think several more states had made it harder for kids to get into schools w/out proper documentation.

I do believe hospitals won't turn anyone away though - don't think they can. So that part is true enough.

No rant from me - I'm zen, remember? :D

It is a federal mandate, so they can not. Even in OK.

TracyTN Sep 2nd 2009 8:44 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...
 
Yep - that's what I thought I'd said (re: health care).

ian-mstm Sep 2nd 2009 9:00 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...
 

Originally Posted by michigan_jim (Post 7897990)
My opinions on that topic are posted in *that* thread, so no need to re-hash them here...

My comment wasn't about you... it was intended to demonstrate to bohemianprincess that your comment had no bearing whatsoever on her questions (read = non sequitur). She suggested that the US was "all about bending the rules", you responded that they "don't bend the rules"... so I clarified for her that your response wasn't actually related to the US not bending the rules.

Ian

michigan_jim Sep 2nd 2009 9:07 pm

Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...
 

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 7898125)
My comment wasn't about you... it was intended to demonstrate to bohemianprincess that your comment had no bearing whatsoever on her questions (read = non sequitur). She suggested that the US was "all about bending the rules", you responded that they "don't bend the rules"... so I clarified for her that your response wasn't actually related to the US not bending the rules.

That is your opinion, and I respect it, although I disagree with it.


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:03 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.