Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...

US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:27 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US a bit trigger happy with the fiance visa? How do I...

Originally Posted by bohemianprincess
Hard to swallow that aliens that cross the borders illegally have more rights and benefits than actual life-long citizens.
Precisely which rights & benefits??
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:33 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your messages. Yes, you're right, I'm totally frustrated. I thought the US was all about bending the rules. Hard to swallow that aliens that cross the borders illegally have more rights and benefits than actual life-long citizens. But what can you do? Nada...
The system isn't perfect by a long shot, but at least we have one. (I'm stil trying to figure out what the UK's immigration policy actually is! LOL) Things tightened up after 9/11 especially, but I still don't see my 'rights' as a citizen being stepped on by USCIS. I consider it a privilege that my UK hubby (then fiance) was allowed to come here - the fact that it took me some time, paperwork and fees didn't upset my apple cart. It just is what it is. In fact, I've thoroughly enjoyed learning about our system.

One of the requirements of the fiance visa is that you've met in person w/in the last two years, so you can get that one under your belt soon. Beyond that, some reading which should help:

http://www.familybasedimmigration.com/forum/k1visa.php

http://www.familybasedimmigration.co...1flowchart.php
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

bohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nice

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Precisely which rights & benefits??
Well here in Texas illegally entering adults can enroll their children in our public schools, which btw, we taxpayers provide the funding for, and in addition to that, they automatically qualify for free lunches at those schools with no proof of qualifying income. Moreover, they cannot be denied healthcare at our hospitals for inability to pay.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:42 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold

Not every state is like Texas.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

bohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nicebohemianprincess is just really nice

Originally Posted by TracyTN
LOL! Thanks for your information TracyTN. You are so zen! Okay, I'm moving into acceptance and breathing deeply...
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:48 pm
Instigator of the Post

Zen - I love it!!

I am one of these sad gits who enjoys learning about and understanding the immigration process. We could seriously use to lock down our borders but beyond that, I guess I AM pretty zen with it...

I went the K1 route so I'll be glad to help if I can.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Zen - I love it!!

I am one of these sad gits who enjoys learning about and understanding the immigration process. We could seriously use to lock down our borders but beyond that, I guess I AM pretty zen with it...

I went the K1 route so I'll be glad to help if I can.
Thanks for the help you've given and are yet to give I'm sure. LOL. Yes, it's looking like the K-1 is really our only option down the road. At least I have a tiny idea of the process now. I was gonna have him just jump on a plane. Oops.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:02 pm
Instigator of the Post

Honestly, you'd be surprised at the numbers of people who think it is as simple as jumping on a plane. You're certainly not alone in having thought that...!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Honestly, you'd be surprised at the numbers of people who think it is as simple as jumping on a plane. You're certainly not alone in having thought that...!
Yes, too bad we can't just claim ignorance. I qualify for sure LOL. Oh, and BTW, I bookmarked those links you gave me, thanks.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, they all are. The same here in NYS. Any child, regardless of their immigration status in the US, has the right to an education and must be enrolled in school. As for healthcare, a hospital cannot turn them away because of lack of healthcare insurance or lack of finances to pay. Believe both these things are federal mandates and not just local ones.

And before this goes off on a rant, we are talking here about a USC's legal ways to visit with a future love interest and if a marriage is in their future, how to get him into the US legally.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:17 pm
Instigator of the Post

I guess I was thinking mainly of Oklahoma - know they are not so immigrant friendly anymore. And I did think several more states had made it harder for kids to get into schools w/out proper documentation.

I do believe hospitals won't turn anyone away though - don't think they can. So that part is true enough.

No rant from me - I'm zen, remember?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Unfortunately, they all are. The same here in NYS. Any child, regardless of their immigration status in the US, has the right to an education and must be enrolled in school. As for healthcare, a hospital cannot turn them away because of lack of healthcare insurance or lack of finances to pay. Believe both these things are federal mandates and not just local ones.

And before this goes off on a rant, we are talking here about a USC's legal ways to visit with a future love interest and if a marriage is in their future, how to get him into the US legally.
Yes sorry about the rant. I get side-tracked easily.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

I guess I was thinking mainly of Oklahoma - know they are not so immigrant friendly anymore. And I did think several more states had made it harder for kids to get into schools w/out proper documentation.

I do believe hospitals won't turn anyone away though - don't think they can. So that part is true enough.

No rant from me - I'm zen, remember?
Indeed you are
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to swallow that aliens that cross the borders illegally have more rights and benefits than actual life-long citizens.
With all due respect, undocumented aliens are not responsible for your current situation. Further, all people on US soil are protected by the US Constitution whether they are here illegally or not... and, as such, they do not have "more rights".

Ian
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With all due respect, undocumented aliens are not responsible for your current situation. Further, all people on US soil are protected by the US Constitution whether they are here illegally or not... and, as such, they do not have "more rights".

Ian
Think we miscommunicated. Sorry 'bout that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.