Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US beers you recommend.

US beers you recommend.

Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice
Default Re: US beers you recommend.

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
4.2%
Oops!

Why isn't it displayed on the label?
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blargins
Oops!

Why isn't it displayed on the label?
Because it's not required to be and they are probably playing on the same misconception you had that it is low alcohol in order to sell more.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 8:51 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Because it's not required to be and they are probably playing on the same misconception you had that it is low alcohol in order to sell more.
You'll be telling me Marlboro Lights can give me cancer next...
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

paulinespens will become famous soon enoughpaulinespens will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tonrob
Excellent. They'll make a bloody fortune.
It is a real beer. Ive had it in a restaurant here.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 11:39 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulinespens
It is a real beer. Ive had it in a restaurant here.
Didn't doubt it for a second!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/683/23950
Old Apr 6th 2010, 10:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.opaopabrewing.com/

Opa Opa...they also have a couple of steakhouse restaurants...anyway, local liquor store had 6 packs for $7 so gave them a try as a "local" brewery, way out west in the state though I think....but anyway, the IPA was fantastic, quite hoppy too.

Well worth checking out for anyone in the New England area, or further out if you can find it, but probably not.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Macro beers are brewed for people who don't really like the taste of beer as far as I can see? Wet and cold is what they say!! Hmm, I would like a beer with taste please, the more taste the better. There are all kinds of beers here in the States, and as I agree some of them are a bit strong, if you are only having a couple, I personally would rather do that than drink a 24 pack of tasteless crap. Each to their own, and I have plenty of friends that drink it, and they also say "I can't stand that crap you drink" which of course they have no idea what they are missing, as they have never tasted "that crap"
At the moment, winging it's way from Cali, I have some beers I cannot buy here in Fla. I have the sublime, Russian River:Pliny the Elder IPA, The Bruery: Saison Rue, Deschutes; Hop Hinge Experimental IPA, Firestone Walker; Union Jack IPA, Alaskan: Barley Wine Ale, and a couple of Stone; Cali-Belgique just to make the order up. You may guess my favourite beer style if you know anything about beer, haha
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Floridared
Macro beers are brewed for people who don't really like the taste of beer as far as I can see? Wet and cold is what they say!! Hmm, I would like a beer with taste please, the more taste the better. There are all kinds of beers here in the States, and as I agree some of them are a bit strong, if you are only having a couple, I personally would rather do that than drink a 24 pack of tasteless crap. Each to their own, and I have plenty of friends that drink it, and they also say "I can't stand that crap you drink" which of course they have no idea what they are missing, as they have never tasted "that crap"
At the moment, winging it's way from Cali, I have some beers I cannot buy here in Fla. I have the sublime, Russian River:Pliny the Elder IPA, The Bruery: Saison Rue, Deschutes; Hop Hinge Experimental IPA, Firestone Walker; Union Jack IPA, Alaskan: Barley Wine Ale, and a couple of Stone; Cali-Belgique just to make the order up. You may guess my favourite beer style if you know anything about beer, haha
A couple of my favorite brewers. The Hop Henge is a nice IPA, I picked up a couple of bottles on sale for $4.25 a piece a few months ago and it is very drinkable, too drinkable in fact.

I agree, I would rather spend the extra $2-$3 and get the good stuff than drink some bland and gassy rubbish. If I am going to drink over-carbonated yellow water, then it is PBR on a student night-- $1 a pint is hard to pass up regardless of one's preference.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:34 am
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Bob
http://www.opaopabrewing.com/

Opa Opa...they also have a couple of steakhouse restaurants...anyway, local liquor store had 6 packs for $7 so gave them a try as a "local" brewery, way out west in the state though I think....but anyway, the IPA was fantastic, quite hoppy too.

Well worth checking out for anyone in the New England area, or further out if you can find it, but probably not.
Been to their place near Northampton. In the middle of nowhere and not tons of atmosphere but great range of beers from the Opa stable so would recommend.

There's an offy two minutes walk from my front door that sells their stuff too!
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Leyther
A couple of my favorite brewers. The Hop Henge is a nice IPA, I picked up a couple of bottles on sale for $4.25 a piece a few months ago and it is very drinkable, too drinkable in fact.

I agree, I would rather spend the extra $2-$3 and get the good stuff than drink some bland and gassy rubbish. If I am going to drink over-carbonated yellow water, then it is PBR on a student night-- $1 a pint is hard to pass up regardless of one's preference.
Of course, you only happen to live in a great city for Beer, and Mexican food!!
Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

We have a fairly new brewery in Tampa that makes a mighty fine IPA called Jai Alai, its up there at 7.2% but what a taste!! He won a gold medal at the GABF last year I believe, and in only his first year of brewing commercially.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cigar-c...ale-ale/95103/
Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Of course, you only happen to live in a great city for Beer, and Mexican food!!
That is true, this state has lots of great brewers: Avery, Great Divide (their IPA is a staple in my fridge), Left Hand, Odell, Oskar Blues and Ska Brewing, to name but a few, all have excellent offerings.

Don't get me started on the Mexican food-- nothing tastes better after hiking all day than a couple of chili rellenos and a good IPA
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Leyther
That is true, this state has lots of great brewers: Avery, Great Divide (their IPA is a staple in my fridge), Left Hand, Odell, Oskar Blues and Ska Brewing, to name but a few, all have excellent offerings.

Don't get me started on the Mexican food-- nothing tastes better after hiking all day than a couple of chili rellenos and a good IPA
Or Heuvos Rancheros with Chili Verde all over it!! I've been to Avery and the Great Divide, also Left Hand in Longmont and Oskar Glues. I'm lucky, my wife loves Colorado, and I love going to breweries!!
Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:45 am
Septic Sprout

Or Heuvos Rancheros with Chili Verde all over it!! I've been to Avery and the Great Divide, also Left Hand in Longmont and Oskar Glues. I'm lucky, my wife loves Colorado, and I love going to breweries!!
Mrs tonrob and I went to CO for the first time (well, not strictly the first as we popped there for the day eight years ago, but I digress). We did a circular from Denver to Breckenridge, Vail, Aspen, Boulder then back to Denver. Absolutely loved it and all the beery goodness along the way.

Didn't actually visit any breweries (well, apart from brewpubs) but thanks to the most excellent Beer Mapping Project along with Beer Advocate we covered a good number of pubs and sunk a generous selection of CO beers.

And ate Mexican food for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Yummy.

Old Apr 7th 2010, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tonrob
Mrs tonrob and I went to CO for the first time (well, not strictly the first as we popped there for the day eight years ago, but I digress). We did a circular from Denver to Breckenridge, Vail, Aspen, Boulder then back to Denver. Absolutely loved it and all the beery goodness along the way.

Didn't actually visit any breweries (well, apart from brewpubs) but thanks to the most excellent Beer Mapping Project along with Beer Advocate we covered a good number of pubs and sunk a generous selection of CO beers.

And ate Mexican food for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Yummy.

We did a very similar thing, my wife used to live in Colorado Springs so we visited there for a couple of days. Then drove to Vail, then onto Aspen, which apart from the scenery did not care for much, seemed a place for people to fly into from all over the place, with no real character. We cut short our visit and went back to Vail for a couple of nights. Then back to Denver, where I went to the Great Divide tasting room, the Wynkoop (great food, beer okay) and then to the famous Falling Rock which was great. Last Feb, my wife treated us to a trip to Boulder, where we went to about 10 breweries in 5 days. I love my wife, haha!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.