Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Based Marketing Comapanies

US Based Marketing Comapanies

Old Apr 1st 2013, 2:09 pm
Banned

Lynx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Based Marketing Comapanies

I will soon be graduating from the University of Sheffield after completing my masters degree in Marketing Management, and I'm currently looking into job options. In the future, I'd love to live in the US, but I know it's going to be a long road to get there, so anything I can do to increase my chances always helps.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any US marketing companies that transfer employees, that I could possibly look into for getting my first job after graduating? This would hopefully allow me to move my way up over the next 5 - 10 years in the hope of a company transfer.

Thanks
Old Apr 1st 2013, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Based Marketing Comapanies

Originally Posted by Lynx
I will soon be graduating from the University of Sheffield after completing my masters degree in Marketing Management, and I'm currently looking into job options. In the future, I'd love to live in the US, but I know it's going to be a long road to get there, so anything I can do to increase my chances always helps.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any US marketing companies that transfer employees, that I could possibly look into for getting my first job after graduating? This would hopefully allow me to move my way up over the next 5 - 10 years in the hope of a company transfer.

Thanks
I think most large size US companies transfers marketing personal. The last high tech company I worked for transferred a Frenchman to our San Jose office who eventually became the US and international marketing manager. However when the General manager position opened and he didn't get the job, he left the company and returned to France.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

There's no simple answer to your question. However your best strategy right now is to get work experience in the UK. Become very good at your job, make contacts, work your way up, and the opportunities will follow.

You'll need to be one of the best or at least have specialty knowledge for good chance at a transfer...so get cracking!

(When you say you're looking into job options....do you actually have any offers?)

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 2nd 2013 at 1:27 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 1:41 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I think most large size US companies transfers marketing personal. The last high tech company I worked for transferred a Frenchman to our San Jose office who eventually became the US and international marketing manager. However when the General manager position opened and he didn't get the job, he left the company and returned to France.
I am fairly sure most large companies can and do transfer personnel wherever they require them to be. The trick is to become one of the people they need in any given location.

My read is, from this site at least, most expats in US on work visas got to US because that is where they were needed, not because that is where they wanted to be...
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
I am fairly sure most large companies can and do transfer personnel wherever they require them to be. The trick is to become one of the people they need in any given location.

My read is, from this site at least, most expats in US on work visas got to US because that is where they were needed, not because that is where they wanted to be...
I don't believe that I said it would be easy and neither did I say that they will transfer employees with full expatriate benefits. But if a person is fairly valuable, single, and is willing to take a job in the US to get the adventure and experience with the company not paying for anything more than the visa and maybe the plane ticket, quite a few Silicon Valley companies would likely authorize the transfer if they have a need for a marketing person.

Now if the person is married with a couple of kids and wants all the expatriate benefits and doesn't have exceptional skills that would make it worth while for the company to transfer an employee, then it is going to be very difficult to find a company that will do that.

When I was transferred to Europe and Kwajalein in the 1960's and 1970's as an engineer, it was a piece of cake. I was very good in my field and had a good relationship with my boss and each time I went to him and asked if there were jobs available at those places, he called corporate headquarters and I had an answer by that afternoon asking when can I leave with full expatriate benefits. Since the 1980's, it has become much difficult for American engineers to transfer to foreign countries then engineers to transfer to the Silicon Valley since the need for engineers is much greater in the Silicon Valley than elsewhere.

However if the economy recovers over the next 5 years and the person has a good relationship with their boss and wants a transfer to the Silicon Valley without demanding expatriate benefits (probably has to be single), Silicon Valley companies seem to be willing to accommodate them. I'm not sure if that is true with non Silicon Valley companies.

Now if a person wants all the expatriate benefits, he better be exceptional and there needs to be a position that is difficult to fill by a US employee before the company would likely consider a transfer.

Since the OP only asked if about a company transfer to the US and not the conditions, I stated that most large companies transfer marketing personal. So there is generally an easy way and a hard way.