US Banks

Old Jun 15th 2007, 4:04 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Banks

Originally Posted by rjbhutton
Is it worth having an account in each?
Depends what they are offering you. There are good and bad in each category. I have one at each - both accounts are free of monthly service charges with no min balance, the credit union gives me 6% interest on my checking account plus refunds of all ATM fees, whereas the bank gives me free wires, a token card and a whole host of other random crap.

Many banks are just shite.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 1:52 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Citibank (as others do I believe) give you EVERYTHING free except cheques if you have one thing go directly into your bank each month. I have three things and wonder somtimes when a bank opens in your neighbourhood they sometimes asks you to transfere one of your monthly things to them, you get $100 cash, should I transfere one and have a second account.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 2:45 pm
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terminal
Can anyone recommend good US banks or banks that should be avoided?

I use First Direct in the UK. I love them, really easy to use website, the internet banking rocks and they have UK call centres, oh and did I mention it's toll-free?

The staff are really friendly and will call you back if they can't sort stuff out straight away.

I'm actually sorry to be leaving them.

In contrast I've used Alliance and Leicester (yes, it's now a bank!) and Cahoot and their websites suck. Really hard to log on and navigate generally.

Also if I forget my password I have to reset it even if I can answer my secret questions - how backward is that?

Anyway, I know nothing about US banks so any info good or bad would be useful!

Thanks

I also bank with First Direct in the UK and love them. I also have an account with Barclays and am just a tad away from telling them to shove it up their pipe.

US banks vary. Although all have to be FDIC insured try and pick a bank that has more money than you do. lolol It is also worth checking about international wires. At one time the only bank near me was FAB (now Regions) that had a direct international wiring department. Other banks would have to send money via one or two other banks and thus incur costs on the way. Our personal bank accounts are with Regions and a large credit union. My husband's business account is with Wachovia and they are o.k. but sometimes there are hidden charges.

We have recently opened an account with a credit union and I am very impressed not only with their set up but with the fact that a lot of stuff you have to pay for with other banks is free. For example online banking is free and there is no monthly charge for your ATM card. The downside is that there is a fee if you use another ATM. The other thing I like with this CU is that you have one account number for all your accounts you just designate where you want it to go on one deposit slip. One of the savings accounts they have is called a "you name it" account. Our's are called "Odds and Sods" and "Lynne's Spa Money". lolol

What could be another downside with a CU is that they are not allowed by law to dabble in stocks and investments so if you need that advise they cannot help directly, but indirectly they can recommend someone to help you.

Having an account with a regular bank and a CU works for me, so far. It's early days but so far I am impressed.

Sadly, as others have said, you won't get the speedy technology here that you get with English banks.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

T D Banknorth (Evergreen) are crap ! ...... Nothing seems to conect with them, if your pay goes in at midnight (which mine does) it doesn't show with them till 5.00am eastern time. If you call the automated system, the personal customer service where you talk to a real person, go to the Banks own ATM or another company ATM the ballance is different in all cases. ..... HOW THE F**K DO THEY MESS THAT UP ?

If there was an HSBC nearer to me I would use it.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Terminal
Can anyone recommend good US banks or banks that should be avoided?

I use First Direct in the UK. I love them, really easy to use website, the internet banking rocks and they have UK call centres, oh and did I mention it's toll-free?

The staff are really friendly and will call you back if they can't sort stuff out straight away.

I'm actually sorry to be leaving them.

In contrast I've used Alliance and Leicester (yes, it's now a bank!) and Cahoot and their websites suck. Really hard to log on and navigate generally.

Also if I forget my password I have to reset it even if I can answer my secret questions - how backward is that?

Anyway, I know nothing about US banks so any info good or bad would be useful!

Thanks

U.S.Bank seems to be pretty much in a lot of the states now.Thats who I use.
can find them back east which is convenient.