Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which US bank do you use?

Wikiposts

Which US bank do you use?

Old Sep 6th 2007, 3:13 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which US bank do you use?

Originally Posted by Ray
Wachovia has 36 branches in CA...
So that's one for every 4388 square miles. I live in the most populous city ( LA) and have no idea where my closest Wachovia is. Most popular banks are probably

B of A
Well's Fargo
Washington Mutual

Here's a link.
http://california.uscity.net/bin/usc...an%20Francisco

I use a smaller California bank as it's only a block away and we have a safety deposit box there too, though I have online accounts with HSBC ( both UK and US) and ING direct.
If you do go with a smaller bank just make sure they are FDIC insured.

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Sep 6th 2007 at 4:14 am.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:12 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot to be said for Credit Unions (a bit closer to the Co-Op vibe) so long as they've got some sort of arrangement for ATMs.

I'm with Citibank. They're crap, as they all are. I ranted about this elsewhere on here.

"Use a bank? I'd rather die".
Old Sep 6th 2007, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Or one of the ones that guarantee free use of other banks ATMs - In our area Compass are currently advertising "no atm fees, anywhere, ever" apparently they also refund any fees that other bansk charge....not sure if its as good in practise as it sounds, cos I dont know anyone with Compass bank....
A friend of mine banks with Compass and they do indeed refund the ATM fees. However they also charged a $50 fine for going slightly into the red by a few $. So it's swings and roundabouts. Compass will also, according to the TV ads, give you a nice credit card with a photo of your nearest and dearest as the background, and you can pick from a variety of designs for cheques (common with all banks). You can't do simple electronic account transfers without incurring a wire fee, but hey at least your cheques look nice... be prepared to become irritated by US banks and their archaic practices.

I use Chase and they have branches in most places. One way of avoiding ATM fees which hasn't yet been mentioned is to use your debit card when you buy something in a supermarket and then you usually have the option to request cashback. Useful if you're visiting somewhere and can't find a branch of your bank.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

TD Bank North....they aren't great, but they aren't crap either, and they were the only bank anywhere near by when I first moved to the states...and they were the only one's that were covering the New England area.

BoA are the devil, but they have good cover across the country.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:30 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

BoA are the devil, but they have good cover across the country.
Why do you say that, Bob? I'd be interested to know! I use BoA, never had problems - except their interest rates are not the most competitive - but for me, they make up for that by widespread locations.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

I use Wells-Fargo and Washington Mutual here in San Fransisco, never had any problems with either, I also have a legacy Credit Union account from from my cubicle dwelling days.
A lot of Supermarkets here have a Wells-Fargo branch inside, which is convenient. Another way to get some quick cash is at the Supermarket check out, using your debit card.

Here's a site to give an overview of SF. http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/
Old Sep 6th 2007, 6:38 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Compass will also, according to the TV ads, give you a nice credit card with a photo of your nearest and dearest as the background, and you can pick from a variety of designs for cheques (common with all banks).

Ah,but we get a stagecoach and horses and cowboys on ours!

Sad but true - that was a major factor affecting our decision as to which bank to go with.....thats what you get when you take the kids bank "shopping"...............
Old Sep 6th 2007, 8:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbark
Why do you say that, Bob? I'd be interested to know! I use BoA, never had problems - except their interest rates are not the most competitive - but for me, they make up for that by widespread locations.
work practices put them on par with walmart, they are a bit of a sweat shop, and they screw so many people so hard....that and call centres are out sourced to india and they were downsizing chunks in the US, which was something they said they weren't going to do when they merged with MBNA.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 10:34 am
Just Joined

UKJeeper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
work practices put them on par with walmart, they are a bit of a sweat shop, and they screw so many people so hard....that and call centres are out sourced to india and they were downsizing chunks in the US, which was something they said they weren't going to do when they merged with MBNA.
We used Washington Mutual (www.wamu.com) when we lived there (So Cal), and i still use it for my US paypal account. They were always good for us.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:24 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Bank of America - outstanding customer service and mucho branches
Old Sep 7th 2007, 2:04 am
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

ING Direct, for both checking and savings (when we have some!)
Old Sep 7th 2007, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
Bank of America - outstanding customer service and mucho branches
That's the first time I've heard anyone say that about BoA!

I could have sworn I saw an email yesterday saying HSBC were offering 2.5% on their online checking accounts, which would be nice if I had one near me. For now I'll stick with Washington Mutual.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 2:53 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found Bank of America to be the most incompetent bunch of assholes I ever encountered. More cock-ups than a 2 cent lot-lizard . . .

After enduring them for 2 years I just closed my BoA account and opened a WaMu account - so far it has been a very pleasant experience.

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
That's the first time I've heard anyone say that about BoA!
Old Sep 7th 2007, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
I have found Bank of America to be the most incompetent bunch of assholes I ever encountered. More cock-ups than a 2 cent lot-lizard . . .

After enduring them for 2 years I just closed my BoA account and opened a WaMu account - so far it has been a very pleasant experience.
BoA managed to activate my debit/credit card before I'd received it...
Old Sep 7th 2007, 3:54 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
More cock-ups than a 2 cent lot-lizard . . .
A what??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.