Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US bank account.

Wikiposts

US bank account.

Old Aug 14th 2012, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default US bank account.

My USC husband shut his bank account when he came to the UK, as he thought that was it and we thought that we weren't going to move anymore. But we're moving back to the US, and he has no idea how he would go about opening a US bank account from here so that he can prove intent to domicile. He has tried opening one online but no success. How did you do it?
Old Aug 15th 2012, 12:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US bank account.

As your question is not visa related...I have moved your thread into the main US Forum. If you click on the Search This Forum tab...located in the blue bar above...go to Advance Search and search the US Forums for US Bank Account...you should be able to pull up previous threads on this subject. There have been many.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:51 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
My USC husband shut his bank account when he came to the UK, as he thought that was it and we thought that we weren't going to move anymore. But we're moving back to the US, and he has no idea how he would go about opening a US bank account from here so that he can prove intent to domicile. He has tried opening one online but no success. How did you do it?
Without a US address you can't open an account in the US. Your husband could try using his parent's address.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 5:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

A US bank account is not the only thing needed to prove "intent to domicile". He does not need to open a US bank account right now. Just use other proof instead.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

xathras is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know if this helps you, but i had look with Chase opening an account without any formal US state ID other than my Password, VISA, UK drivers license.

I had proof that i had a US job and the fact I wanted to direct deposit to them.

I opened the account with $100, but there was a $1 minimum.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xathras
I dont know if this helps you, but i had look with Chase opening an account without any formal US state ID other than my Password, VISA, UK drivers license.

I had proof that i had a US job and the fact I wanted to direct deposit to them.

We opened an account with Chase without a US address...but it was 16 years ago. My husband transferred to the US with a large multinational company...they wrote a letter of recommendation to Chase.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As your question is not visa related...I have moved your thread into the main US Forum. If you click on the Search This Forum tab...located in the blue bar above...go to Advance Search and search the US Forums for US Bank Account...you should be able to pull up previous threads on this subject. There have been many.
oops! Yeah thanks. It's habit, posting on the marriage forum lol
Old Aug 15th 2012, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nun
Without a US address you can't open an account in the US. Your husband could try using his parent's address.
He was going to, but they said that he needs to go into a branch and deal with it in there, as they can't open an account for him without him being there.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
A US bank account is not the only thing needed to prove "intent to domicile". He does not need to open a US bank account right now. Just use other proof instead.

Rene
We have quotes from shippers, proof that he has been looking and applying for work in the US, a copy of my resignation letter from work, proof of us having shut two of our bank accounts in the UK, and a letter from his parents stating that we are to live with them for as long as we like when we get to the US. Is that enough or should we have something more?

Originally Posted by xathras

He tried with his old bank, Wells Fargo. Perhaps he should try with another bank, just to get his foot in the door with a bank account again.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We opened an account with Chase without a US address...but it was 16 years ago. My husband transferred to the US with a large multinational company...they wrote a letter of recommendation to Chase.
Hmmm. Yes I think I'll mention it to him about Chase, and see what they can do for him.
Thanks!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 7:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

This exact question was asked a couple weeks back, have a search a couple pages back and you should find the few bank examples that people provided.

HSBC/Capital/BoA type options.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Without a US address you can't open an account in the US.
Wrong.

With the correct ID you can open US-based bank accounts at the London main branches of Wells Fargo and Wachovia.

It's been done by several on this forum.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:53 am
Just Joined

COB76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just as an FYI for other people viewing this thread, my OH (USC) and I just opened a joint account with Wells Fargo. Slightly different as she has a US address but I am not a PR neither do I have an SSN or US driving licence. They accepted my passport and UK driving licence. WF seem to be the lesser of the evils that are allowing this kind of account.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COB76
Just as an FYI for other people viewing this thread, my OH (USC) and I just opened a joint account with Wells Fargo. Slightly different as she has a US address but I am not a PR neither do I have an SSN or US driving licence. They accepted my passport and UK driving licence. WF seem to be the lesser of the evils that are allowing this kind of account.
None of the banks require a US ID, they just require ID, so any and all of them should be fine with a passport.

You usually have to ask a supervisor though as often it has to be manually entered as the tellers front end just isn't set up for taking a none SSN as ID and the teller draws a blank.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 6:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

We have quotes from shippers, proof that he has been looking and applying for work in the US, a copy of my resignation letter from work, proof of us having shut two of our bank accounts in the UK, and a letter from his parents stating that we are to live with them for as long as we like when we get to the US. Is that enough or should we have something more?
I believe that is enough.

For what it's worth, I suggest keeping a UK bank account open.

Rene
Old Aug 17th 2012, 8:37 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Wrong.

With the correct ID you can open US-based bank accounts at the London main branches of Wells Fargo and Wachovia.

It's been done by several on this forum.
That is good to know, I assume you can do something similar at other US banks with London branches. Are the accounts based somewhere like NY?
Old Aug 17th 2012, 9:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by nun
That is good to know, I assume you can do something similar at other US banks with London branches. Are the accounts based somewhere like NY?
Yes you can.