Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US-Asia flights

US-Asia flights

Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default US-Asia flights

After (if) we emigrate to the US, specifically to the LA area, I need to take the family to the Philippines for a while. Looking at various flight options, only Philippine Airlines flies direct (and even then, with a technical stop one way). So all the other options involve changes at Narita, Hong Kong, Guam/Honolulu etc (the possibilities are endless). I know that a through-ticketed flight through HK and Singapore is a fairly quick hop from one gate to another (no security or immigration) but is the same true of Narita/Haneda and Taipei for example?

Similar question for Guam and Honolulu but in this case I don't know how the US territories and Hawaii thing works. On a connecting flight from Asia to the US, does one go through immigration at Honolulu/Guam or in the US?

I'm a loyalty club member of Continental which will be United and part of Star Alliance by then, and also BA (OneWorld) but their participating carriers don't offer great possibilities (high price, long duration, or multiple stopovers). Might have to forgo the FF miles on this one unless anyone has some bright ideas. I didn't get much help at Flyertalk with the FF issue.

Thanks.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US-Asia flights

If connecting via Hawaii you would clear immigration/customs in Hawaii before continuing on to your flight to the mainland. The Hawaii-Mainland flight would be considered a domestic flight as Hawaii is a state.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US-Asia flights

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If connecting via Hawaii you would clear immigration/customs in Hawaii before continuing on to your flight to the mainland. The Hawaii-Mainland flight would be considered a domestic flight as Hawaii is a state.
Ah, I'd better find a connection with more than 45 minutes then. Thanks.