Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Annual Travel Insurance

US Annual Travel Insurance

Old Jun 29th 2023, 3:10 pm
LT1
Forum Regular

LT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Annual Travel Insurance

Hello! Does anybody have any recommended (or ones to avoid!) companies for an annual travel insurance policy? I'm considering TravelGuard, but keen for any personal recommendations! Thanks.

(Edit: to be clear, I'm looking for a policy from within the USA to cover domestic US and foreign holidays).
Old Jun 29th 2023, 3:18 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Annual Travel Insurance

Originally Posted by LT1
Hello! Does anybody have any recommended (or ones to avoid!) companies for an annual travel insurance policy? I'm considering TravelGuard, but keen for any personal recommendations! Thanks.

(Edit: to be clear, I'm looking for a policy from within the USA to cover domestic US and foreign holidays).
I just have the CSR card. Has travel insurance including primary car rental insurance. Have never needed to claim on it.
Old Jun 29th 2023, 3:21 pm
LT1
Forum Regular

LT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've only been here six months and still working on building up my credit score, so a tad nervous to apply for the CSR just yet. Agree though that it seems perfect really.
Old Jun 29th 2023, 7:15 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

For foreign trips I use I use TravelSafe with $0 coverage in conjunction with the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. $0 coverage is very inexpensive, and while it provides almost zero trip cancellation or interruption coverage it does provide excellent medical coverage and good trip delay and lost/delayed baggage benefits at a price that cannot be beaten. As soon as you add on $ for trip cancellation or interruption the price skyrockets. For all trips I pay for my travel using the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card which provides trip cancellation and interruption coverage in the event of death or illness of you, a traveling companion or a close relative, up to $20K; and decent trip delay and lost/delayed baggage coverage, but no real medical coverage. They complement each other well and collectively provide comprehensive insurance at minimal cost.

I have claimed on my credit card, and travel insurance several times with no issues at all. Both paid claims in full without having to submit any additional information beyond the first submission. I did however make sure that they had all the requisite information with the initial claim. Most of the main travel insurance companies are all the same. If they can wiggle out of a claim they will, the key is to think through how they will try to deny it and close that door before they even open it. Notify them immediately there is a problem. Keep all receipts (take a photo), get the reason for any delays documented by the airline when it happens, and all other supporting information. Most of all read the fine print, it matters.

Although death and illnesses happen, unless you are concerned about an elderly relative, the biggest risk and the biggest potential cost is usually medical. The next biggest risk is trip delay and delayed baggage all of which will be covered by almost all insurance companies inexpensively with $0 trip cost insured. So if you are willing to roll the dice on death and illness and suck up the non refundable costs in the event it occurs, travel insurance with $0 cost can be a great way to cover the most likely and most expensive risks very inexpensively.

Many credit cards provide travel benefits for cancellation and interruption but the Chase Sapphire cards provide far better coverage than most, although American Express are pretty good as well. Squaremouth.com is a good source to compare travel insurance companies.

Last edited by Glasgow Girl; Jun 29th 2023 at 7:18 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2023, 7:26 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LT1
I've only been here six months and still working on building up my credit score, so a tad nervous to apply for the CSR just yet. Agree though that it seems perfect really.
Separate to the insurance, make sure to pay active attention to building your credit.

I started with an Amex (based on UK Amex) and HSBC credit card (based on Premier opening US account). The HSBC card was terrible but both helped me build credit, I also financed a cell phone to get an installment loan on my record. It only took me about 12 months to build my credit to the point where I could get a mortgage for my first property here (was also an LPR by then).

I use avail.co to collect rent and on a property and my tennant can have their on time rent payments recorded, they charge a small fee for this, but if it was me I would pay this to help build credit. I think other providers like Chime also do similar for things like Netflix payments.
Old Jun 29th 2023, 8:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Between the insurance provided by credit cards (which I have never needed to claim on) and the private insurance model of US Healthcare, which means that I can walk, or be carried, into any US hospital and have my treatment paid for, (even if not at the most competitive price), which I did take advantage of a few years ago while on holiday in Maine, I would only consider an annual travel policy if I was traveling internationally frequently.
Old Jun 29th 2023, 10:54 pm
LT1
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
For foreign trips I use I use TravelSafe with $0 coverage in conjunction with the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. $0 coverage is very inexpensive, and while it provides almost zero trip cancellation or interruption coverage it does provide excellent medical coverage and good trip delay and lost/delayed baggage benefits at a price that cannot be beaten. As soon as you add on $ for trip cancellation or interruption the price skyrockets. For all trips I pay for my travel using the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card which provides trip cancellation and interruption coverage in the event of death or illness of you, a traveling companion or a close relative, up to $20K; and decent trip delay and lost/delayed baggage coverage, but no real medical coverage. They complement each other well and collectively provide comprehensive insurance at minimal cost.

I have claimed on my credit card, and travel insurance several times with no issues at all. Both paid claims in full without having to submit any additional information beyond the first submission. I did however make sure that they had all the requisite information with the initial claim. Most of the main travel insurance companies are all the same. If they can wiggle out of a claim they will, the key is to think through how they will try to deny it and close that door before they even open it. Notify them immediately there is a problem. Keep all receipts (take a photo), get the reason for any delays documented by the airline when it happens, and all other supporting information. Most of all read the fine print, it matters.

Although death and illnesses happen, unless you are concerned about an elderly relative, the biggest risk and the biggest potential cost is usually medical. The next biggest risk is trip delay and delayed baggage all of which will be covered by almost all insurance companies inexpensively with $0 trip cost insured. So if you are willing to roll the dice on death and illness and suck up the non refundable costs in the event it occurs, travel insurance with $0 cost can be a great way to cover the most likely and most expensive risks very inexpensively.

Many credit cards provide travel benefits for cancellation and interruption but the Chase Sapphire cards provide far better coverage than most, although American Express are pretty good as well. Squaremouth.com is a good source to compare travel insurance companies.
Thank you for this comprehensive super-helpful post!
Old Jun 29th 2023, 10:59 pm
LT1
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
Separate to the insurance, make sure to pay active attention to building your credit.

I started with an Amex (based on UK Amex) and HSBC credit card (based on Premier opening US account). The HSBC card was terrible but both helped me build credit, I also financed a cell phone to get an installment loan on my record. It only took me about 12 months to build my credit to the point where I could get a mortgage for my first property here (was also an LPR by then).

I use avail.co to collect rent and on a property and my tennant can have their on time rent payments recorded, they charge a small fee for this, but if it was me I would pay this to help build credit. I think other providers like Chime also do similar for things like Netflix payments.
Thanks tht, I'm trying hard to build the credit steadily.

-- I have the Amex Everyday, which I use day to day and pay off in full every month.
-- I have a self-secured Bank of America visa, which I use for one transaction per month, and pay off in full every month.
-- Got declined for credit for new car (had only been here two months), so had to buy it cash.
-- I recently got an interest-free $2,500 credit limit allowance for Rooms To Go furniture, which I've put $800 on and will pay off 1/12 every month. I paid for the rest of the furniture on Amex as was advised to keep the credit utilization under 30%.

I'll look into avail now! And please do share any other tips! Thanks again!
Old Jun 30th 2023, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

I thoroughly recommend Allianz travel insurance. I travel to Europe 2 or 3 times a year and have the annual policy. I am also covered by our health insurance policy and have Amex Plat so we may be over insured. However I the Allianz covers things not covered by the others (weather/strike delays was my last claim) and it has proved worthwhile for me. The claim was done online and was very quick and easy.
Old Jul 3rd 2023, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

I use World Nomads, no idea if competitive, but cheap enough for decent secondary insurance.
Old Dec 1st 2023, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Bruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - jumping into this late as I found it whilst searching for an answer to this very question! My wife (USC) and I (LPR) are traveling internationally soon and bought the travel elements on credit card (including CSR and AA for car rental and flight cover, etc) and also have private medical which I believes covers us (checking in parallel)...

What doesn't seem to have been answered is coverage for THEFT such as mugging or from hotel room/ hire car - any thoughts or am I missing the obvious???
Old Dec 1st 2023, 6:16 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Some travel policies will cover theft as an add on. Try squaremouth.com and insuremytrip.com, they are excellent tools for checking out coverage. Some home owner policies will cover theft of possessions while away from home. Most travel policies will cover you for medical expenses if you are mugged on vacation and the cost of getting back home if necessary.

Be careful of relying too much on CSR, AA and other credit cards. They have good coverage in general but make sure you understand what is not covered (i.e. read the benefits document carefully). The biggest omissions are health (which hopefully you have covered elsewhere) and the cost of getting back home if there is a medical emergency, death or any other reason that might need you to make emergency and very expensive travel arrangements. They will cover prepaid expenses but not additional expenses and those can be high. Frequent flyer miles can be a great self insurance policy for emergency travel if you have enough of them.

if you are not covered for medical while overseas, look at taking out a policy with $0 coverage. That cuts the cost significantly but still provides medical benefits, trip delay, baggage delay and loss, and a minimal amount for trip interruption.
Old Dec 1st 2023, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Bruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you!