Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

urghh taxes.

urghh taxes.

Old Nov 17th 2014, 7:29 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default urghh taxes.

so our acct finally got round to doing an estimate for our tax bill this year. We sold our UK house in January and knew we would get hit up for capital gains on it as we have been here more than 5 years etc. The bloody estimate is bigger than the savings we had put aside. Its not horrifically over -but its a pain - and if the estimate is low.......

It seems beyond crazy that they can make us pay on a gain that predates our even living in the country. I get that we should pay a gain since the day we lived here (2007) - that is fair, but when we brought that house in 2001 we had no idea we would be moving to the states etc -and that they can hit us up for gains made in that time just seems plain wrong.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 7:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: urghh taxes.

Agreed, and that is why we consistently advise people to sell within three years of arriving here (thereby being exempt from taxation on the gain, unless it is greater than $500,000, for a married couple) unless they are certain they will leave the US before they want/need to sell.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

So, just to be clear...the exemption doesn't apply to non US property? Or is it only for your main residence perhaps?
Old Nov 17th 2014, 9:32 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
so our acct finally got round to doing an estimate for our tax bill this year. We sold our UK house in January and knew we would get hit up for capital gains on it as we have been here more than 5 years etc. The bloody estimate is bigger than the savings we had put aside. Its not horrifically over -but its a pain - and if the estimate is low.......

It seems beyond crazy that they can make us pay on a gain that predates our even living in the country. I get that we should pay a gain since the day we lived here (2007) - that is fair, but when we brought that house in 2001 we had no idea we would be moving to the states etc -and that they can hit us up for gains made in that time just seems plain wrong.
I take it you've applied any losses made in previous years, against the gain?
Old Nov 17th 2014, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
So, just to be clear...the exemption doesn't apply to non US property? Or is it only for your main residence perhaps?
The exclusion applies only to your primary residence anywhere in the world. A primary residence refers to a property that was your primary residence during 2 of the past 5 years.

The $250,000/$500,000 Home Sale Tax Exclusion | Nolo.com
Old Nov 17th 2014, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know...thanks.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

You could try the Boris Johnson approach, although I wouldn't recommend it.

13 November 2014

A transcript excerpt of Boris Johnson's NPR interview is below on the Diana Rehm programme. His appearance was in conjunction with the launch of his book on Churchill.

(Page is Susan Page of USA Today, who was sitting in for Diana Rehm):
  • PAGE: We have a couple questions relating to you. Here's Peter in Columbia, Md., who sends us an email, he writes, "It's very hard to renounce US citizenship. Has your guest done so or is he a dual citizen, having been born in New York?"
  • JOHNSON: Peter, I have to confess to you, that you're right, it is a very, it is very hard but I will say this, the great United States of America does have some pretty tough rules, you know. You may not believe this but if you're an American citizen, America exercises this incredible doctrine of global taxation, so that even though tax rates in the U.K. are far higher and I'm Mayor of London, I pay all my tax in the U.K. and so I pay a much higher proportion of my income in tax then I would if I lived in America.
  • JOHNSON: The United States comes after me, would you believe it, for the, for capital gains tax on the sale of your first residence which is not taxable in Britain, but they're trying to hit me with some bill, can you believe it? Anyway, I just wanted to point that out to you...
  • PAGE: Are you paying, are you gonna pay the bill?
  • JOHNSON: I think it's outrageous. I think it's outrageous. It's un...
  • PAGE: Well, saying it's outrageous doesn't respond to whether you're going to pay the bill or not. Outrageous or not, will you pay this tax bill?
  • JOHNSON: Well, I'm, no, is the answer. I think it's absolutely outrageous. Why should I? I think, you know, I'm not a, I, you know, I haven't lived in the United States for, you know, well, since I was five years old.
  • PAGE: You know, we have a lot of deficit problems here and you could help.
  • JOHNSON: I could but I pay, I pay the lion's share of my tax, I pay my taxes to the full in the United Kingdom where I live and work.
  • PAGE: Now, I've read in a story that you carry both a British passport and an American passport, is that true?
  • JOHNSON: That...
  • PAGE: And why do you continue to carry an American passport?
  • JOHNSON: Because as your caller, Peter, rightly points out, it's very difficult to give it up.
  • PAGE: And if you become British Prime Minister, would you have to give up your U.S. citizenship? Is there a rule?
  • JOHNSON: Well, I, you know, as we've discussed earlier on, I think the chances of that happening are vanishingly small. And, you know, that's what we call, that's called a luxury, a luxury problem to deal with. I think it unlikely to eventuate...
  • PAGE: Let's...
  • JOHNSON: I've got a long time still to go as Mayor of London.
  • The comments occur starting 36:50 and go to 39:30.
  • http://thedianerehmshow.org/audio/#/..._factor/@36:49
Old Nov 17th 2014, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

There is no gain until you sell the property and as you were living here when you sold, that is when the gain was made and why it is taxable by the US.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 11:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
There is no gain until you sell the property and as you were living here when you sold, that is when the gain was made and why it is taxable by the US.
The gain accrued over time, it not magically appear in its entirety on the day the house was sold. Apportioning the gain over time would be more equitable, though granted, the IRS doesn't give a jot about equity; nor indeed does HMC&R.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The gain accrued over time, it not magically appear in its entirety on the day the house was sold. Apportioning the gain over time would be more equitable, though granted, the IRS doesn't give a jot about equity; nor indeed does HMC&R.
The gain is realized when the house is sold. Until then, there really is no gain. The IRS, like most if not all tax authorities, taxes on realized gains. Prior to sale there is no realized gain. The house has a notional value at all points in time, but a notional value is not equivalent to a gain.

And I didn't see the OP offering to pay the UK tax on the "gain" made before she moved to the US
Old Nov 18th 2014, 12:11 am

The gain is realized when the house is sold. Until then, there really is no gain. The IRS, like most if not all tax authorities, taxes on realized gains. Prior to sale there is no realized gain. The house has a notional value at all points in time, but a notional value is not equivalent to a gain.

And I didn't see the OP offering to pay the UK tax on the "gain" made before she moved to the US.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Call it what you like, the gain still didn't magically appear on the day the house was sold.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 12:12 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

with the old UK CGT gain rules - we were allowed a certain gain each year and could backdate several years - so any gain would have been reduced. AND would not have been impacted by foreign exchange rates - which are a double whammy for us here.

if we look at the ex rate when we came over - vs the ex rate when we bought it would make a big difference and reduce the notional gain substantially.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

with the old UK CGT gain rules - we were allowed a certain gain each year and could backdate several years - so any gain would have been reduced. AND would not have been impacted by foreign exchange rates - which are a double whammy for us here.

if we look at the ex rate when we came over - vs the ex rate when we bought it would make a big difference and reduce the notional gain substantially.
Now I have some sympathy with the exchange rate part of this argument but it's not the one you posited in your original post.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Call it what you like, the gain still didn't magically appear on the day the house was sold.
The realized gain - which is the taxable event - did.
Old Nov 18th 2014, 12:28 am

The realized gain - which is the taxable event - did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.