Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Urgent question about wife who bailed out

Urgent question about wife who bailed out

Old Sep 10th 2016, 4:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent question about wife who bailed out

If her intent is to overstay and remain illegally in the USA, she probably can do that, as many people do. They get fake social security numbers, they get a cash job, they ride the bus (can't get a driver's license to my knowledge), etc.

What she can't do is marry this guy to change her status and remain in the USA, because she's married already. If you find out she lied in order to marry this guy, definitely report that to USCIS, along with proof of your current marriage. Her marriage to this guy will be unrecognized and fraudulent.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Sep 10th 2016 at 5:21 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 4:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
.... What she can't do is marry this guy to change her status and remain in the USA, because she's married already. If you find out she lied in order to marry this guy, defidefinitely report that to USCIS, along with proof of your current marriage. Her marriage to this guy will be unrecognized and fraudulent. ....
Bigamy is a felony in most states (about 2/3rds of them) including Texas (it's a misdemeanor in the rest), so she could become a con, like her paramour.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember rightly, you can talk to HR at work about emergency family leave to give you time to arrange childcare.

I would also open a new bank account and start transferring a reasonable amount into it regularly to cover family expenses, childcare, etc. That way you can remove the money you and the kids need before she spends it all.

I would just leave her to make her own mess. She will soon be in a very shitty situation if she really does decide to move to the US illegally and live with this guy.

Sorry this is happening.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Also she will find it extremely difficult to remove the children to the US to live with an ex-prisoner. I'm doubt there is a judge in the UK who would approve that setup...
Old Sep 10th 2016, 5:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Also she will find it extremely difficult to remove the children to the US to live with an ex-prisoner. I'm doubt there is a judge in the UK who would approve that setup...
Agreed, 200%. .... Especially after she abandoned them.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 6:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Originally Posted by Pulaski
Agreed, 200%. .... Especially after she abandoned them.

Unfortunately, she might not go to a judge to get permission to remove them to the US. All she needs to do is get on a plane with them for a holiday. She can buy the tickets w/o her husband knowing, pick up the kids and run to the airport and get on the plane.

I've travelled with kids and it is extremely rare that you are asked for that all important letter regarding parental permission from the other parent.

One stumbling block would be that the kids require passports and if they don't have them now, hopefully she won't be able to get them in the future.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
Unfortunately, she might not go to a judge to get permission to remove them to the US. All she needs to do is get on a plane with them for a holiday. She can buy the tickets w/o her husband knowing, pick up the kids and run to the airport and get on the plane.

I've travelled with kids and it is extremely rare that you are asked for that all important letter regarding parental permission from the other parent.

One stumbling block would be that the kids require passports and if they don't have them now, hopefully she won't be able to get them in the future.
(i) if she abducted them the OP should be prepared to notify the police immediately she has missed a deadline, and hope he doesn't live too close to an international airport, and should be able to get them returned fairly easily, though not necessarily cheaply under the Hague convention.

(ii) perhaps (? ) if the OP obtained passports for his children, then stored them securely, e.g. with a trusted relative, or with his solicitor, it would make it harder for the mother to obtain passports.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

maritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond repute

I have the passports in a secure place at work. As soon as I read those letters the passports were found and taken from the house.

I suppose technically this isn't an immigration issue, it does appears she wants to remain illegally. Either she'll eventually be found, run out of money, end up on hospital, dead or a crystal method addict like her loverboy. So much for a better life!

I apologise for raising this as an immigration issue, was hoping there was something I could do but I'll just let it go, sure she'll probably come crawling back when she's screwed (bad choice of word lol).

I can be happy and relaxed not having to watch over my shoulder just in case immgration are watching (I'm sure that would make you a little paranoid even if they aren't bothered!), having to lie to have a life there, opening fake accounts etc. Don't think she'll have the dream life she is hoping for and her plan for the kids are busted.

I am seeing a UK solicitor during the week to see what my options are.

There in an airport at the location. She flew from Newark, on to Houston and then the end location.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by maritimesbob
There is an airport at the location. She flew from Newark, on to Houston and then the end location.
I was refering to how close you live to an airport where she could sneak your children out of the UK.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

maritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond reputemaritimesbob has a reputation beyond repute

My apologies, nearest airport that offers international flights is a good couple of hours away from here. She can't drive either.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

As well as the passports, get their birth certificates, and any other paperwork under lock and key as well. She may claim that their passports were lost or destroyed and might need their b/c's to get them replaced.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 12:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A guy I used to work with, his wife met someone playing on line games and upped and left for N Ireland, all very weird.
Old Sep 11th 2016, 7:51 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Just
Originally Posted by maritimesbob

I was tempted to contact Texas parole board as I have all his details, but I think I'll take a step back and focus on the priorities.
1. The Parole Board and Parole Officer are two different entities, normally the Parole reports to the Governor of the state, and the parole officer to the state's department of corrections.

2. It is not unusual for male inmate to form pen-pals with females with females on the outside and when they get out to use that person until they are no longer of any value to them and then move on. Therefore I would suggest protecting any assets that could be siphoned off by this person as once the money has gone he will probably move on.

Just to give you and idea of how inmates target people here is training given to prison staff. Downing A Duck (An Inmate's Version)
Old Sep 11th 2016, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AZ_Alba
Just

1. The Parole Board and Parole Officer are two different entities, normally the Parole reports to the Governor of the state, and the parole officer to the state's department of corrections.

2. It is not unusual for male inmate to form pen-pals with females with females on the outside and when they get out to use that person until they are no longer of any value to them and then move on. Therefore I would suggest protecting any assets that could be siphoned off by this person as once the money has gone he will probably move on.

Just to give you and idea of how inmates target people here is training given to prison staff. Downing A Duck (An Inmate's Version)
That's was an interesting story
Old Sep 11th 2016, 4:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
A guy I used to work with, his wife met someone playing on line games and upped and left for N Ireland, all very weird.
How so? I met my husband in 1996 online and by the time we were going through the immigration process in 1998 I could tell you hair raising stories of online meet and date scenarios between one married person meeting another married person across the country and never returning to their spouses. Often they left their kids, clothes, extended families all for the love of someone they never met until they got off the plane. My husband personally met up with another Canadian who lived in Ottawa, as he did, who romanced a very naïve lady from Maine for as long as her money held out that is. Once she caught on and turned the lock on the bank door, he was gone in a flash. And in today's world, those two stories are mild and uninteresting. Should write a book about the more hideous ones as warnings to newbies to the world of chat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.