British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   URGENT - PLEASE HELP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/urgent-please-help-104912/)

myself_online May 13th 2001 6:07 am

Friends,

I'm on a H1B visa and working for a client from the past year and a half. Initially , my company ( Company A ) had sent me to this client through a middle company ( Company B ) . After sometime however, My company ( Company A ) had problems with the middle man ( Company B ) due to non payment and they formed a contract with the client directly. The result is that I'am now working for the
same client . but without the Middle man ( Company B ) in between.

Now, the middle man ( Company B ) has sent me a court notice for breach of contract and stuff like that . It names the middle man ( Company ) as the plaintiff and me as the defender. Is this legal..I did NOT sign any contract with the middle man ( Company B ) nor was I even aware
of who the middle man company was . In this circumstances, how can they file a suit against me ?

Can I take any legal actions ?. How will this impact me ? Please let me know. I asked my Company ( Company A )
about this and they tell me that there would be no problems since I did not sign any Contract with Company B.

Please help.

Thanks,
Ravi

Sylvia Ottemoeller May 17th 2001 10:49 pm

Maybe Company A is right, but you must defend yourself. You must do whatever any
court orders you to do, such as appearing at the appointed place and time at least,
or a warrant may be issued for your arrest for failure to appear.

You should consider hiring a lawyer. At least you should talk to a few lawyers. You
may be able to countersue Company B for your damages, including legal fees and
expenses in defending yourself.

myself_online wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

In the U.S., anybody can file a suit against anybody. The case will go to court. If
the case has no merit, the judge will throw it out. The problem is that you may have
to spend money to defend yourself against a frivolous lawsuit.

>
    >
    >

If Company A is also being sued, maybe you can consult with whatever attorneys
Company A is using to deal with the suit.

myself_online May 18th 2001 4:27 pm

Thanks for the reply Syvlia.

The best part of it is that The middle man ( Company B ) has sent a notice to me alone and it names myself and the end client as the defenders. Interestingly, there is no mention at all of my company ( Company A ) with which Company B had a contract .

What do I do in such a scenario.

Thanks,

Sylvia Ottemoeller May 18th 2001 5:01 pm

myself_online wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I told you exactly what I think you should do, and what I would do. Get referrals,
talk to lawyers, and depending on what you find out, consider hiring a lawyer to
defend you and to get back any damages to you caused by Company B. Since the end
client was also sued, ask them what they are going to do to defend themselves.