Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

urgent: passport stolen today, k1 interview next wednesday

urgent: passport stolen today, k1 interview next wednesday

Old May 11th 2001, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

misskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant future

i had the misfortune to have some petty opportunist thief snatch my purse today. the cash and cards i can do without or replace, but the most traumatic thing was the loss of my uk passport, needed for my k1 interview next wednesday.

i've ascertained that in worthy circumstances, the uk passport agency are prepared to issue passports if you're travelling in 2 weeks/48 hours/immediately, and i will be first in line on monday morning with visa appointment letter and plane tickets begging for 48 hour consideration.

however, i am extremely worried that i will be given new passport details along with the new passport. if so, these would be different from the ones which have been entered into all of the k1 forms on which my application has so far been successfully processed. in addition, none of the ins entry stamps which i'd accumulated since 1998 will be in there, nor my existing f-1 visa, which i have informed the embassy of.

can any of you reassure me that a new passport at this late stage is not likely to have a catastrophic effect on my k1 interview? i will of course be on the phone to the embassy first thing on monday morning, but if any of you can reassure me before then it will be greatly appreciated.

aaron says this is my bad karma quota for the week, and after this incident, the visa interview will be a breeze (touching every piece of wood in sight)

thanks,

kate
Old May 11th 2001, 8:04 pm
Amber Sebold

Kate, relax. I'm positive you're not the first person to have their passport stolen.
Did you file a police report or anything? I have no idea if you will need proof that
it was stolen but it can't do any harm. If you had a F-1 visa won't they have a copy
of your old passport in the files? I had an F-1 too and they copied all my stuff.

Good luck but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Amber.

misskate wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old May 11th 2001, 11:32 pm
British in Wisconsin

Jememennie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi hi miss Katy,

Just wanted to send some good calm vibes your way. Good to hear you can get a passport quickly in an emergency. Good luck with that.

As for the forms, I was thinking how I only remember writing my passport number on the OF-156 and I'm sure they'll let you fill that in again. I'm sure I read something once about London being decent enough to let you fill out forms again if you got them wrong...so they have to let them be filled out again in this case. Hmm, and it would make sense that they would have some record of you having an F-1. Plus hey remember how you had too much evidence of your relationship so they won't mind about you not being able to show a couple of passport times, I wouldn't think.

take care ~ miss Jennie
Old May 12th 2001, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

misskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant futuremisskate has a brilliant future
Default restored faith in human nature

well, almost... my purse was found behind a pub's fire escape in south london this morning. the landlord phoned the rsvp number printed on our draft wedding invitation inside and told me that he'd found the purse...along with passport intact and most definately there.

yippee!!

thanks for the advice though 8-)

kate