Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Urgent! New Cargo (Pet) restrictions

Wikiposts

Urgent! New Cargo (Pet) restrictions

Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent! New Cargo (Pet) restrictions

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes.. I am also thinking that this could be a Virgin-specific policy for the moment. They see the full list of cargo restrictions from TSA (which is holding it close to the vest for security reasons) and made the decision to just cut off pet shipments.

I expect we'll see clarification soon. The "established business relationship" could be the clause under which Virgin told you the 'must have shipped with us before' rule, and I notice Continental being specifically named in the PetRelocation site article.
It was definitely on the news here in CA the other night, shame I don't pay attention, which leads me to think its not just Virgin.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:23 am
Just Joined

baylily will become famous soon enough

I would find it difficult to believe that the restrictions would only apply to Virgin, or that Virgin would be the only airline complying with the regulations. Pet cargo is big money, and depending on the length of this embargo, could mean huge loss for the airlines.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:27 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

What about if you're flying with pets OUT of the USA? I have friends returning to the UK with their two cats next month, and I'm sure they'd be interested in this.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gingerert
What about if you're flying with pets OUT of the USA? I have friends returning to the UK with their two cats next month, and I'm sure they'd be interested in this.
Does not apply. According to my guy at Virgin cargo, the US has better security than the rest of the world (I denoted a hint of sarcasm).
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

Looking at the limited info - I'd say it's just affecting flights into the US.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baylily
You shouldn't take this the wrong way, but I think you are incredibly presumptuous. I'll just sit back and wait for my moment to post "I told you so"...
Thanks to the others for posting constructively to a new member of the forum, as opposed to critiquing my rationale for posting "urgently" this clearly still developing piece of news.
Well, if it is presumptuous to point out to you the realities of posting messages to a public forum and the way that people will likely react to them then so be it.

My response was not directed at the substance or veracity your original post but at your reaction to some of the responses to it.

Saying "I told you so" doesn't really seem to be relevant.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 12:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I would find it difficult to believe that the restrictions would only apply to Virgin, or that Virgin would be the only airline complying with the regulations. Pet cargo is big money, and depending on the length of this embargo, could mean huge loss for the airlines.
That isn't what I said. I would also find what you posted to be difficult to believe.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

I don't know what my motivation woul be for posting this infomation, had I not sincerely believed this information as credible. But I also don't
think it's fair for people (more senior members of this forum
no less) to contribute nothing but nasty remarks to the thread. In any event, I have also posted the contact number for you to verify yourself, and others have also
given supporting information.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

babybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to all

just spoken to a colleague who has pet transportation as part of his job and he basically said same as the link from chocolatebabez

its all been very sudden and very unclear
the airlines themselves are trying to work through the new regulations
to transport an animal you have to have had a business relationship with the airline over the last 30 days and if you previously used say AA to ship the animal you can not now change carriers and switch to say BA
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

babybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to allbabybyrd is a name known to all

just a thought

baylily were you sending your pet on a different flight to you? ie unaccomanied? or is he/she going to be on teh same plane as yourself?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by babybyrd
just a thought

baylily were you sending your pet on a different flight to you? ie unaccomanied? or is he/she going to be on teh same plane as yourself?
I brought my dog over with Virgin on the same
flight that I traveled on. I am going back to the States on Tuesday, flying with Virgin and taking my dog with me. I therefore fall into the category of existing business relatioship with Virgin. The cargo rep said they are now only flying 2 dogs into the US next week.
I just can't imagine how many people are vert devastated with this seemingly very abrupt change in policy by the TSA. Also, with the new luggage restrictions as well (no cargo is to fly unaccompanied past Monday), I have to
imagine this is very wide reaching!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

King Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant futureKing Gimp has a brilliant future

Virgin have booked our cat on based on the flight to the US - Based on us having a 'business relationship' with Virgin - We have flown with Virgin a few times previously so maybe this has swayed in our favour.

This is the official line from Virgin below.

Dear Sir,

Please be advised that it is due to the new TSA regulations that came into place on Tuesday the 9th November we are currently unable to take ANY pets bookings for pets travelling to the USA.

We understand it is frustrating for you , however we currently do not have any further information from the TSA apart from the above statement & we will inform you of any charges as soon as we have more information.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused but please bear with us & we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best Regards

<snip>
Shipping Officer, Virgin Atlantic Cargo Shipping
Virgin Atlantic Cargo, Number One Cargopoint,
Bedfont Road, Stanwell, TW19 7NZ, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 844 873 8000
Ext: <snip>
Fax: +44 (0) 844 209 8306

Last edited by Sue; Nov 10th 2010 at 11:47 pm. Reason: Please don't post a person's name and extension. Thanks
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I just received a frantic call from the staff at Virgin informing me of new travel restrictions that apply to cargo as of Monday Nov.11!
Umm... today, Thursday, is November 11. Is this supposed to be effective from November 11, or Monday? Please clarify.

Ian
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Umm... today, Thursday, is November 11. Is this supposed to be effective from November 11, or Monday? Please clarify.

Ian

From Monday the 15th.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

We're planning to move to the US and take our cat with us just before Christmas. Having seen this thread, I contacted one of the pet travel services (in this case Airpets) for a quote today and specifically asked about the impact of the new regulations and they replied

With regards to your question, there are now restrictions with flying to America with pets, which is basically us (the agent) needs to have a business relationship with our customers (you) for at least 30 days before flying.

As we have made contact by sending out a quote for your cat, your flying date for the 22 December would not be affected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.