Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

In urgent need of Dean's help, seriously worried, no passport renewal yet!!

In urgent need of Dean's help, seriously worried, no passport renewal yet!!

Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation In urgent need of Dean's help, seriously worried, no passport renewal yet!!

I am leaving for the uk next Tuesday for the first time in five years, have spent thousands of hard earned cash on accommodation and air fare for myself and two children. I sent off my passport to be renewed in mid February, well it still is not here and my nerves are in shreds. I called the embassy in Boston and they were not helpful, in fact they told me that there is a strong possibility I will have to travel to Boston on Monday and pay $150 for emergency travel documents. Very impractical as I live in Maine. My children got their US passports back within a couple of weeks. I'm very worried indeed. I have heard of Dean being very helpful to people in similar situations...Dean if you read this message if you have any suggestions I would be ever so grateful.
Caroline
Old Apr 5th 2011, 2:09 am
Just Joined

GGTrek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: In urgent need of Dean's help, seriously worried, no passport renewal yet!!

I know that it is of little help to your urgent need, but have you noticed how many threads were opened lately about delays in issuing British passports in the US? The embassy in Washington received the application for my recently born child on the 25th of Feb and they have not charged my credit card yet or contacted me. I give them 2 more weeks and then I am emailing and calling directly the FCO in London and sending a letter the UK House of Commons since they have created this mess with their stupid decision to "rationalize" the passport processing.

The parliament already warned the FCO in 2009 that:
"We conclude that it is vital that the merger of the FCO's overseas passport operation with the Home Office's Identity and Passport Service is carefully managed to ensure that neither the quality nor the scope of the existing service are compromised and that the FCO's reputation is not damaged."
http://www.parliament.the-stationery.../195/19508.htm

Decisions are taken by bureaucrats without listening to anyone since they do not pay the consequences. Please follow this process to complain:
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...rts/contact-us

I paid a ton of taxes while I was working in the UK (11 long years), received almost nothing back (no family, no school, almost no healthcare) and I shall not accept this cr---y service for my son's basic right to travel.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

steevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nice
Default Re: In urgent need of Dean's help, seriously worried, no passport renewal yet!!

Isn't IPS in the UK supposed to take over all passport applications from April 1? I am curious if the Washington Regional Processing Centre has already begun shipping all of these applications to the UK, or if this only includes applications signed for after April 1??

I see this causing even more delay..

Last edited by steevun; Apr 5th 2011 at 1:46 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steevun
Isn't IPS in the UK supposed to take over all passport applications from April 1? I am curious if the Washington Regional Processing Centre has already begun shipping all of these applications to the UK, or if this only includes applications signed for after April 1??

Yes, my fear is that to avoid work the embassy in Washington is sending all the non-processed passports applications to the IPS in the UK (so they can be free from work!) and then blaming the IPS for the delay! The absurd thing is that I live in Brazil, why should I go through Washington to send my passport application to the UK!!! Couldn't I just post it to the IPS in the UK, it would be much more efficient or worst case just send it to the British Consulates in Brazil. The system has become a disaster!
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GGTrek
I shall not accept this cr---y service for my son's basic right to travel.
I don't want to take this off topic too much and I understand your frustration, but I'm not sure you fully understand the meaning of the term "basic right".

Ian
Old Apr 5th 2011, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I don't want to take this off topic too much and I understand your frustration, but I'm not sure you fully understand the meaning of the term "basic right".

Ian
I beg to differ, I very much understand the nature of a basic right, I would strongly suggest to read this (article 2):
http://conventions.coe.int/treaty/en...s/html/046.htm

Not issuing a passport to a national of the country can be used to sue based on freedom of movement grounds.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: In urgent need of Dean's help, seriously worried, no passport renewal yet!!

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I am leaving for the uk next Tuesday for the first time in five years, have spent thousands of hard earned cash on accommodation and air fare for myself and two children. I sent off my passport to be renewed in mid February, well it still is not here and my nerves are in shreds. I called the embassy in Boston and they were not helpful, in fact they told me that there is a strong possibility I will have to travel to Boston on Monday and pay $150 for emergency travel documents. Very impractical as I live in Maine. My children got their US passports back within a couple of weeks. I'm very worried indeed. I have heard of Dean being very helpful to people in similar situations...Dean if you read this message if you have any suggestions I would be ever so grateful.
Caroline
Caroline,

Sorry you feel the Consulate in Boston wasn't helpful (your call would have actually been answered by my team in Florida, so I'm sorry about that). Can you PM me your details, including your flight itinerary and I'll see what I can do about your application.

Dean

Last edited by British Consul; Apr 6th 2011 at 2:13 am.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: In urgent need of Dean's help, seriously worried, no passport renewal yet!!

Originally Posted by steevun

No, the passports are still being processed in Washington and will be for a good few months yet.

Dean
Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

I know that it is of little help to your urgent need, but have you noticed how many threads were opened lately about delays in issuing British passports in the US? The embassy in Washington received the application for my recently born child on the 25th of Feb and they have not charged my credit card yet or contacted me. I give them 2 more weeks and then I am emailing and calling directly the FCO in London and sending a letter the UK House of Commons since they have created this mess with their stupid decision to "rationalize" the passport processing.

The parliament already warned the FCO in 2009 that:
"We conclude that it is vital that the merger of the FCO's overseas passport operation with the Home Office's Identity and Passport Service is carefully managed to ensure that neither the quality nor the scope of the existing service are compromised and that the FCO's reputation is not damaged."
http://www.parliament.the-stationery.../195/19508.htm

Decisions are taken by bureaucrats without listening to anyone since they do not pay the consequences. Please follow this process to complain:
http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...rts/contact-us

I paid a ton of taxes while I was working in the UK (11 long years), received almost nothing back (no family, no school, almost no healthcare) and I shall not accept this cr---y service for my son's basic right to travel.
It takes from 6-8 weeks for a first time issue. You can generally start counting from the day your credit card was charged. If you haven't heard anything yet, consider asking the Passport Information Helpline to escalate it.

Dean

Last edited by British Consul; Apr 6th 2011 at 2:07 am.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 2:16 am
Just Joined

steevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nicesteevun is just really nice

Originally Posted by British Consul
No, the passports are still being processed in Washington and will be for a good few months yet.

Dean
Thanks.. My sister asked me today when to expect sending applications to the UK.. I didn't know what she was talking about til she sent me the link.. This'll help though.. I'll encourage her to send in the application to Washington in the next couple weeks and ignore the UK processing for now..
Old Apr 6th 2011, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I would strongly suggest to read this (article 2):
Well then, I've learned something new today! Thanks!

Not issuing a passport to a national of the country can be used to sue based on freedom of movement grounds.
Deliberately not issuing a passport could be grounds for suit... but that's different from not issuing a passport in a timely manner based on someone's emergent need. There's no way to control how many passport applications are received at any given time... so processing - even with the best of intentions - is going to be hit and miss.

Ian
Old Apr 6th 2011, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I have heard of Dean being very helpful to people in similar situations...Dean if you read this message if you have any suggestions I would be ever so grateful.
Just so you know, you'll need to make 3 posts before you can PM Dean.

Ian
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Dean, thanks so much I will try and pm you, not sure if I can though as I'm a new member. I am seriously in a panic now after learning that you can expect your renewed passport 6 weeks after you have been charged. My account was charged two weeks ago!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

In addition I was told it should get here before Tuesday but they were not interested in taking any of my details so it's hard to believe how they could be so sure it would arrive on time...
Old Apr 7th 2011, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

I beg to differ, I very much understand the nature of a basic right, I would strongly suggest to read this (article 2):

Not in the UK, since it never ratified protocol 4. British passports are issued under the Royal Prerogative, which was invoked just a few years ago to prevent two former Guantanamo detainees from leaving the country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.