Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Urgent help needed - Sick sister. How do I get a Passport quickly?

Urgent help needed - Sick sister. How do I get a Passport quickly?

Old May 28th 2011, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent help needed - Sick sister. How do I get a Passport quickly?

My Wife (US Citizen) needed to get a Passport 18 Months ago for short-notice travel to the UK.

We went down to our local Post Office and got a standard US Passport Application. On it, was a 1-800 Number, for Emergencies. We called and set up an appointment at our nearest Passport Office, which for us was 180 miles away in Chicago.

She was told by the Operator which documents to bring and to ensure that she was there in good time for the appointment. No one, except the applicant is allowed on the floor of the Passport Office.

The Appointment was made for first thing in the morning, and she had the Passport by 4pm on the same day. We had to hang around Chicago, all day, but what the hell????

There is an increased cost for this service, and Passports are only issued in this manner by Appointment Only. Do not show up at the building without an appointment, or you are up the creek without a Paddle.

The OP is indeed an example that we all need to ensure our Passports are upto date, and easily accessible, when the need arises. You never know, when misfortune will come to your family or friends.

Jim.

Last edited by Scouse Express; May 28th 2011 at 5:50 pm.
Old May 28th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Urgent help needed - Sick sister. How do I get a Passport quickly?

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
This thread emphasizes how important it is for ex-pats always to maintain a current passport that allows them to exit and enter the US. You never know when you might need it.
Old May 28th 2011, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Sleepy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
This thread emphasizes how important it is for ex-pats always to maintain a current passport that allows them to exit and enter the US. You never know when you might need it.
Yep..but believe me I though about it many times over the years but I have had many things going on and really have never had the $200 plus to spare and get one, my husband is disabled, I had a near fatal car accident in 97, the list goes on and time went on too of course.

No, not a US citizen, again so much has happened over the years, I swear we turn around and it's something else, usually money, eg: not having enough, so my mind has always been elsewhere.

I am sending off all the papers on Monday with an attached letter and hope the passport arrives soon, thank you for all your help and advice x
Old May 28th 2011, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

http://travel.state.gov/passport/hurry/hurry_831.html

This is what a US Citizen needs to do, in order to get a Passport in a hurry. Follow the link, for "Life or Death" Emergencies.

Jim.
Old May 28th 2011, 10:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleepy1
Yep..but believe me I though about it many times over the years but I have had many things going on and really have never had the $200 plus to spare and get one, my husband is disabled, I had a near fatal car accident in 97, the list goes on and time went on too of course.

No, not a US citizen, again so much has happened over the years, I swear we turn around and it's something else, usually money, eg: not having enough, so my mind has always been elsewhere.

I am sending off all the papers on Monday with an attached letter and hope the passport arrives soon, thank you for all your help and advice x
Why are you doing that if you need to return to the UK for an emergency...you must have read that it will take months to obtain a new PP?

Have you read the sticky threads at the top of this forum's index page...in particular the one about UK PPs? There is a link in there where Dean, British Consul gives step by step advice on how to obtain an emergency UK PP.
Old May 28th 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
http://travel.state.gov/passport/hurry/hurry_831.html

This is what a US Citizen needs to do, in order to get a Passport in a hurry. Follow the link, for "Life or Death" Emergencies.
She is not a US citizen.
Old May 28th 2011, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Sleepy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I've read it, the office in Denver told me they can't give me an emergency pp as my expired one is too old, one of the old Blue ones, if I had a new one that had expired they can do that but not with the Blue ones, they cannot retrieve any info on the Blue pp's on their computers, so I must apply for a brand new one, I'd love to hear from someone if what I'm being told is wrong but I've also called the Embassy (in the UK) and everytime they've told me the exact same thing so I am stuck.

Think I'm still going to see if there's something else I can do though Monday.
will call the Embassy again too.
Old May 29th 2011, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Marocco
She is not a US citizen.
I know that. I posted the link for the benefit of others, who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Jim.
Old May 29th 2011, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I've read it, the office in Denver told me they can't give me an emergency pp as my expired one is too old, one of the old Blue ones, if I had a new one that had expired they can do that but not with the Blue ones, they cannot retrieve any info on the Blue pp's on their computers, so I must apply for a brand new one, I'd love to hear from someone if what I'm being told is wrong but I've also called the Embassy (in the UK) and everytime they've told me the exact same thing so I am stuck.

If you can afford it, I would recommend applying for naturalization as well. You are effectively applying for a first time British passport, and from recent reports we've seen that can take longer than three months (not only that, but if you are selected for an interview you will have to travel to Washington DC, with additional expenses and delays). At the same time, we've had reports of people who managed to naturalize in less than 3 months. And, as meauxna already mentioned, once you are a US citizen you can get a passport on the same day.

Last edited by Marocco; May 29th 2011 at 8:46 am.
Old May 29th 2011, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Could she go to the actual Consulate in Washington with the passport paperwork and see if they could expedite the passport, given the direness of the situation?
Old May 29th 2011, 2:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Could she go to the actual Consulate in Washington with the passport paperwork and see if they could expedite the passport, given the direness of the situation?
not any more.
Old May 29th 2011, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if it'd work or if you have to go in person, but could you not send all the paperwork you need to a relative in the UK and get them to make an in-person application? I had my UK passport stolen in NYC and was due to go to FRance within a couple of weeks of getting home. I got an appointment for a replacement passport on the Monday at the UK Passport Office behind Victoria Station and was able to pick up the new passport the following Monday (and I noticed it had actually been ready since the previous Thursday).

I don't think living in the US means you HAVE to applyt for your UK passport in the US.

Last edited by Squirrel; May 29th 2011 at 7:33 pm. Reason: correction
Old May 29th 2011, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Squirrel
Not sure if it'd work or if you have to go in person, but could you not send all the paperwork you need to a relative in the UK and get them to make an in-person application? I had my UK passport stolen in NYC and was due to go to FRance within a couple of weeks of getting home. I got an appointment for a replacement passport on the Monday at the UK Passport Office behind Victoria Station and was able to pick up the new passport the following Monday (and I noticed it had actually been ready since the previous Thursday).

I don't think living in the US means you HAVE to applyt for your UK passport in the US.
That's a possibility - but only if there is no chance of the IPS wanting her to attend a "passport interview". According to this they shouldn't, but you never know. If her last British passport was an Old Blue, she may not be in their system.
Old May 30th 2011, 4:06 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Urgent help needed - Sick sister. How do I get a Passport quickly?

Originally Posted by Squirrel

How did you manage to leave the US and enter the UK to get your new British passport behind Victoria Station in London? Do you also have a US or other country passport?
Old May 30th 2011, 4:08 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Urgent help needed - Sick sister. How do I get a Passport quickly?

It's a public holiday in the UK and the US on Monday, so I doubt that you will be able to speak with anyone, unless they have staff on hand to deal with emergencies...?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.