Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Urgent Help Needed - Lost H1b

Urgent Help Needed - Lost H1b

Old Dec 9th 2002, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

static76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Urgent Help Needed - Lost H1b

I lost my UK passport, with my H1B attached to the inside. I'm in the process of reapplying for the passport, but can't find any information anywhere about what to do about the visa.

I need help with this urgently as I'm worried that if I don't get the H1B replaced before Christmas I'm not going to be able to return to the UK for the holidays, and then not be able to come back the U.S. after Christmas to carry on working.

Anyone know what to do?
Old Dec 14th 2002, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Michael E. Piston is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent Help Needed - Lost H1b

You will have to apply at a consulate for a visa to be reissued. Usually London will issue visas by mail to those in a lawful status in the U.S. You must have a passport to apply for a visa though.
Old Dec 17th 2002, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Default Passport returned, new one issued

Well, someone returned my lost passport to me, but my application for a new one has also been approved. This means that I have the old one with my H1b visa in my possession, and also a new one without the visa.

What should I do?
Old Dec 17th 2002, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Well once the consulate issue your new passport they will cancel the old one. All you have to do is carry both passports with you. No need to transfer the visa to your new passport. My husband did this when he got his new passport.
Old Dec 17th 2002, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Default That's good news

So basically, when entering the UK I use the new one. When returning to the US, I use the old one?

Is that right? Sorry to sound like an idiot, but customs people always give me the fear. I don't know what it is that they do, exactly, but they always make me feel like a criminal.
Old Dec 17th 2002, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

No when you enter both countries you will need to use the new passport. However when you enter the US you will need to show them both passports - the valid passport and the one with your visa in it.
Old Dec 17th 2002, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

That sounds simple enough. And you promise they won't take me into a little room and search my cavities or anything?
Old Dec 17th 2002, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fortunately for some things in life there is such a thing as a simple solution. Can't promise you anything about the cavity search. However if that is your type of thing you might want to mention the word drugs and I am sure one will soon be arranged.
Old Dec 17th 2002, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Well, that's a great weight off my mind. I was starting to panic a little bit.

Regarding the cavity search, while all new experiences have their merits, I think I'll pass on that one.

Thanks for your help.