Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Urgent Help Needed!

Wikiposts

Urgent Help Needed!

Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Help Needed!

Originally Posted by Usky
Hey Guys, get off LoopyLorns back ... after the reading the posts it sounds as if some people are trying to nail her to the wall for has happened. Lets not judge her, lets help her ...

Life is a compromise and one needs to be worked out here ... I am sure a reasonable middle ground can be found. I would suspect you must face the eality that you will have to swallow some of the cost.

However, for me this is a lesson learned. I am going to CA in about a month and really had thought I could rock up to a dealer lay down some readies and be off with a car ... I will need to re-think ... and most importantly budget this myself for now ... will try to get somew re-imbursement from employer as they have offered a one-off payment for relocation (this rental charge would blow that budget!!!!) ...

Let's not forget we are trying to achieve a life goal ... sometimes we have to invest to reap the reward ... Keep at it and you will win ....

Good Luck !!!!
Thank you!

yes they are on my back-mostly without even finding out the facts!

how many times has it been said you dont need a SSN?

Any way I think only 2 people have actually answered my question and as its 6am here hubby has just left for office and so boss will get in a 8/9 and we will have closure one way or another.

Last edited by loopylorns; Feb 25th 2007 at 10:00 pm. Reason: addition
Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:41 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if this is any help at this late stage but we got our insurance through AIG, they have a special section that deals with expats. You have to deal with that section or you will be quoted an astronomical rate, as a freind of ours found out.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Don't know if this is any help at this late stage but we got our insurance through AIG, they have a special section that deals with expats. You have to deal with that section or you will be quoted an astronomical rate, as a freind of ours found out.
Yes thats who we used to but thanks any-way.

AIG are fab, they set us up with a credit card too and deals on mobile phones as some networks here wanted $1000 deposit per line!!!!!!

we found AIG just before my car arrived.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Usky
Hey Guys, get off LoopyLorns back ... after the reading the posts it sounds as if some people are trying to nail her to the wall for has happened. Lets not judge her, lets help her ...

Life is a compromise and one needs to be worked out here ... I am sure a reasonable middle ground can be found. I would suspect you must face the eality that you will have to swallow some of the cost.

However, for me this is a lesson learned. I am going to CA in about a month and really had thought I could rock up to a dealer lay down some readies and be off with a car ... I will need to re-think ... and most importantly budget this myself for now ... will try to get somew re-imbursement from employer as they have offered a one-off payment for relocation (this rental charge would blow that budget!!!!) ...

Let's not forget we are trying to achieve a life goal ... sometimes we have to invest to reap the reward ... Keep at it and you will win ....

Good Luck !!!!
Excellent reply Usky, Gives those of us yet to arrive, a little more thoughts to ensure we try and think of every eventuality. To Loopylorns....Keep yours/husbands temper in check and be reasonable with the company.Hope it turns out OK in the best way possible for you.Best wishes for a good result
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Excellent reply Usky, Gives those of us yet to arrive, a little more thoughts to ensure we try and think of every eventuality. To Loopylorns....Keep yours/husbands temper in check and be reasonable with the company.Hope it turns out OK in the best way possible for you.Best wishes for a good result
many thanks!

our tempers are fine in fact we have been laughing about it-its the only way.

Our life back in Uk is still there, we have all our friends and family and a nice 5 bed house and I can return to work the day after landing so for us its not a problem to go back.

I must say I am upset by the fact that responses on here have been so critical, and more in particular that there are so many incorrect comments too.

The basic fact remains that they said they would pay for a rental until our car arrived, thats the long and the short and now they are welching.

My husband takes the approach of if you say it you do it.

If you are moving to the US your self PLEASE also be aware that you can not use health insurance without the SSN, this has cost me $4000 too, kids had to have loads of shots to get into school, broken ankle and stitches required.

Nightmare!!

good luck
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:55 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

If you are moving to the US your self PLEASE also be aware that you can not use health insurance without the SSN, this has cost me $4000 too, kids had to have loads of shots to get into school, broken ankle and stitches required.

Nightmare!!

You really have had a rough ride. Our relocation company were crap with a capital c but our realtor was like a motherhen and did so much for us.
We are here on H1B and H4 so we had to get ssn for my OH and letters saying the rest of us couldn't have one. We had the letters the day after we arrived and OH got his number about 6 weeks later.
Our health ins is with the company and we could use it immediately but luckily my kids didn't need any shots for school as they had had them all.

If I still had my house back in the UK I would probably be on the next plane home
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:05 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loopylorns
many thanks!

our tempers are fine in fact we have been laughing about it-its the only way.

Our life back in Uk is still there, we have all our friends and family and a nice 5 bed house and I can return to work the day after landing so for us its not a problem to go back.

I must say I am upset by the fact that responses on here have been so critical, and more in particular that there are so many incorrect comments too.

The basic fact remains that they said they would pay for a rental until our car arrived, thats the long and the short and now they are welching.

My husband takes the approach of if you say it you do it.

Nightmare!!

good luck
If the insurance policy was in force at time of injury, but you didn't have SS number, you can go back and make the claim when you get the number.

If you didn't have insurance, school shots are free, for children who are underinsured or not insured. Given at the Public Health Dept.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mallory
If the insurance policy was in force at time of injury, but you didn't have SS number, you can go back and make the claim when you get the number.

If you didn't have insurance, school shots are free, for children who are underinsured or not insured. Given at the Public Health Dept.
Yeah, we are awaiting the money back but Im sure youll know how long it can take!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

You really have had a rough ride. Our relocation company were crap with a capital c but our realtor was like a motherhen and did so much for us.
We are here on H1B and H4 so we had to get ssn for my OH and letters saying the rest of us couldn't have one. We had the letters the day after we arrived and OH got his number about 6 weeks later.
Our health ins is with the company and we could use it immediately but luckily my kids didn't need any shots for school as they had had them all.

If I still had my house back in the UK I would probably be on the next plane home
The company did not use a relocation expert, think this is half the problem.

My kids had to have stuff like hep B !! chicken pox? (id never have in Uk)
and various other shots, any one would think we from the jungle!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:14 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

any one would think we from the jungle!
you're right there ...i guess after all we are aliens
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:43 am
Who?

The company did not use a relocation expert, think this is half the problem.

My kids had to have stuff like hep B !! chicken pox? (id never have in Uk)
and various other shots, any one would think we from the jungle!
I have always given blood in the UK, since I was 20. I can't give here because of mad cow disease. I didn't realise that and trotted off to donate, thinking it would while away some dull H4 time. I was made to feel like a leper
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

I have always given blood in the UK, since I was 20. I can't give here because of mad cow disease. I didn't realise that and trotted off to donate, thinking it would while away some dull H4 time. I was made to feel like a leper
haha, thats very funny!

you are assumed to have CJD because your English wow!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 2:01 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

but they have mad cow here
Old Feb 26th 2007, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

haha, thats very funny!

cant give blood in Germany either...... Not if u have visited Uk inthe past 20 years.... for a period of time.... So now u know .. Mad cows is just in the UK, no where else in the world just UK....Explains a lot dont it ... As for the kids shots.. I was lucky.. i went on the internet before i got here an just kept picking up bits.. so when we got here we didnt need shots, the chicken pox tho was a bummer, because the kids already had chicken pox in kindergarten and then they had to have blood taken to check they had the anti bodies... My TB was worse.. I had the vaccine at school and then the skin test makes it positive... Explain that one!!!!! So I think no one can afford to come here blind.. I think research needs to be done and it doesnt matter how daft the question seems there is someone that will answer it with the correct information....... You have stepped on a few land mines with this move.... and my heart goes out to u.. I am lucky i am in a state where i dont need a ssn for a license.... found it a problem tho getting a telephone and putting my name on the utilities bills..... so it hasnt been completely plain sailing ....so let us know the outcome of what the boss says....I hope it goes ok..... fingers crossed.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 2:06 am
Who?

Originally Posted by TruBrit
but they have mad cow here
I looked on the blood doning website (I can't think what it's called) and, yes, if you have lived in certain countries you cannot donate because of the diseases those places are riddled with.
Dear old Blighty is on the list.
Sorry for the thread hijack, loopy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.