Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Urgent help- health insurance

Urgent help- health insurance

Old Oct 15th 2022, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

michen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Urgent help- health insurance

Hi all. I just found out my work health insurance doesn’t kick in until 30 days post start date. So I’m about to land in the USA on an E2 visa with only travel insurance through a CC.

I am struggling to find insurance that covers those on a work visa aka not a visitor? Any advice?
Old Oct 15th 2022, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent help- health insurance

Google short term health insurance

Patriot health insurance is one company that offers short term insurance for different situations.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 5:08 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered going back to your employer and requesting that they make an exception? If they have waited for you, and paid visa fees, one suspects they may waive the requirement. It's routine for most employers when hiring high level employees.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 6:17 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

E2 visa suggests a large investment in, or by you. A month of health insurance withheld seems contradictory.

That said, I went well over a month with no coverage when I arrived on K1 in 2004. Luckily I did not get sick till recently.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 7:58 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
E2 visa suggests a large investment in, or by you. A month of health insurance withheld seems contradictory.

That said, I went well over a month with no coverage when I arrived on K1 in 2004. Luckily I did not get sick till recently.
I’m aware that most E-2 people posting in BE are posting in regards to their own investments ( e.g. “the visa from hell” discussions which we need not go into). That said, most E-2 visa involve multinational enterprises.

Among the immigration bar, the case of Walsh and Pollard is quite famous. I attended a lecture by attorney Ron Klasko back in1989. He described the investment as $15,000, a desk, telephone and a potted plant. In the context of the substantial contract involved, that $15K was “substantial.” Note that Mssrs. Walsh and Pollard were non-degreed relatively junior workers. Hence no possibility of H-1 as then constituted.

My point is that we know next to nothing about OP and the job. It can very well be an entry position.

OP’s question is a fair one. I would hesitate to assume any underlying facts.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Oct 15th 2022 at 8:00 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 8:18 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I’m aware that most E-2 people posting in BE are posting in regards to their own investments ( e.g. “the visa from hell” discussions which we need not go into). That said, most E-2 visa involve multinational enterprises.

Among the immigration bar, the case of Walsh and Pollard is quite famous. I attended a lecture by attorney Ron Klasko back in1989. He described the investment as $15,000, a desk, telephone and a potted plant. In the context of the substantial contract involved, that $15K was “substantial.” Note that Mssrs. Walsh and Pollard were non-degreed relatively junior workers. Hence no possibility of H-1 as then constituted.

My point is that we know next to nothing about OP and the job. It can very well be an entry position.

OP’s question is a fair one. I would hesitate to assume any underlying facts.
I agree we know next t nothing about OP. I also know next to nothing about Health Insurance, and simply passed on my experience. Sorry if I implied OP was wealthy and should know better! A month or 2 without health insurance should not generate any anxiety!
Old Oct 15th 2022, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

It’s absolutely not an entry level job and I have no issue finding my own insurance for a month I’m just struggling to find any that’s not travel insurance, as I’m worried I wouldn’t be covered if something happened but they knew I was here on a visa.

Company don’t seem to think they can early activate the insurance.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

This suggests I can’t get it anyway…I am in Colorado. I’ve asked the company again but it makes me nervous as accidents happen and I’ve shipped my horse too- they definitely happen around them!! 🙈

https://www.healthinsurance.org/shor...ance/colorado/
Old Oct 16th 2022, 12:09 am
BE Irregular

I suppose it is to much to ask what kind of coverage you will get after the 30 days?. I suspect it will not be as much as you think!
Old Oct 16th 2022, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

I suppose it is to much to ask what kind of coverage you will get after the 30 days?. I suspect it will not be as much as you think!
I’ve elected for the highest coverage. The company I’m working for are one of the top ten largest employers in the world so I’d like to think it’s pretty decent!

I assumed I could just sort this in the airport- silly me- it seems you literally can’t get short term medical cover in Colorado. What on earth!
Old Oct 16th 2022, 12:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michen
I’ve elected for the highest coverage. The company I’m working for are one of the top ten largest employers in the world so I’d like to think it’s pretty decent!

I assumed I could just sort this in the airport- silly me- it seems you literally can’t get short term medical cover in Colorado. What on earth!
In that case I would have thought your company would carry some weight with the insurers. We encountered similar but the company made sure we were covered from the day we set foot in the US.
Old Oct 16th 2022, 12:37 am
BE Irregular

I work for one of the top 5 banks in USA and the health insurance options in my opinion are not good!
Old Oct 16th 2022, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In that case I would have thought your company would carry some weight with the insurers. We encountered similar but the company made sure we were covered from the day we set foot in the US.
I have asked the question again. Alternatively maybe a travel policy would cover me for a certain amount of time.
Old Oct 16th 2022, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

I work for one of the top 5 banks in USA and the health insurance options in my opinion are not good!
Whats your solution did you take out your own?
Old Oct 16th 2022, 1:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michen
I have asked the question again. Alternatively maybe a travel policy would cover me for a certain amount of time.
Travel insurance is not an option. You will not be traveling…you will be living in the US. You have entered the US on a visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.