Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Urgent! Help.

Urgent! Help.

Old Oct 14th 2002, 6:47 pm
  #1  
JBJ
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 42
JBJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Urgent! Help.

Hello People,
A letter just arrived in Delaware (I filed AOS to VSC with delaware address), and my sister-in-law told me that some application was rejected, I will ask her in details tonight.

The very important thing is that since my 90 day deadline is Oct 18th (on I797, it said both marriage and AOS occur within the date), I am wondering if I resubmit the AOS, will the old filing date (sep 27th) or the new date (perhaps a bit over Oct 18th) count?

Can i just assume though my AOS was rejected this time, however, AOS happens within 90 days already, hence, it is quite flexible for me to submit the new AOS without considering the deadline issue?

It totally determines whether I should spend hundreds of dollars on Amtrak (I don't drive, and my husband cannot ask for a leave from job on weekdays)

Thank you very much. Please help me. I must make a decision tomorrow, Oct 18th (Friday) is coming!

Best Regards,
JBJ
JBJ is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2002, 8:22 pm
  #2  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,266
Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent! Help.

Originally posted by JBJ:
Hello People,
A letter just arrived in Delaware (I filed AOS to VSC with delaware address), and my sister-in-law told me that some application was rejected, I will ask her in details tonight.

The very important thing is that since my 90 day deadline is Oct 18th (on I797, it said both marriage and AOS occur within the date), I am wondering if I resubmit the AOS, will the old filing date (sep 27th) or the new date (perhaps a bit over Oct 18th) count?

Can i just assume though my AOS was rejected this time, however, AOS happens within 90 days already, hence, it is quite flexible for me to submit the new AOS without considering the deadline issue?

It totally determines whether I should spend hundreds of dollars on Amtrak (I don't drive, and my husband cannot ask for a leave from job on weekdays)

Thank you very much. Please help me. I must make a decision tomorrow, Oct 18th (Friday) is coming!

Best Regards,
JBJ
Relax:

Only the marriage has to take place within the 90 day period. Resubmitt.
Folinskyinla is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2002, 8:35 pm
  #3  
JBJ
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 42
JBJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent! Help.

Folinskyinla,
Thanks a lot for the message. I do find a lot of people say like that, however, I-797 asked for both happen within 90 days.

No one ever got penalized for submitting it late?

Appreciate it.

Best,
JBJ
Originally posted by Folinskyinla:


Relax:

Only the marriage has to take place within the 90 day period. Resubmitt.
JBJ is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2002, 9:20 pm
  #4  
Banned
 
Matthew Udall's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 3,825
Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent! Help.

Originally posted by JBJ:
Hello People,
A letter just arrived in Delaware (I filed AOS to VSC with delaware address), and my sister-in-law told me that some application was rejected, I will ask her in details tonight.

The very important thing is that since my 90 day deadline is Oct 18th (on I797, it said both marriage and AOS occur within the date), I am wondering if I resubmit the AOS, will the old filing date (sep 27th) or the new date (perhaps a bit over Oct 18th) count?

Can i just assume though my AOS was rejected this time, however, AOS happens within 90 days already, hence, it is quite flexible for me to submit the new AOS without considering the deadline issue?

It totally determines whether I should spend hundreds of dollars on Amtrak (I don't drive, and my husband cannot ask for a leave from job on weekdays)

Thank you very much. Please help me. I must make a decision tomorrow, Oct 18th (Friday) is coming!

Best Regards,
JBJ
Why was it rejected? Did you file it at the wrong office? I agree with Folinskyinla, and think you need to just file it again, but make sure to not make the same mistake again. If you sent the wrong fees, make sure to send the correct amount(s), or if you tried filing it at the wrong INS office, make sure to file it at the correct office.

File it soon as its not "on-file" yet (even though you tried to file it already). The longer you wait to file, the more unlawful presence you could possibly accumulate (if you end up filing after your initial 90 days from your date of entry).

Good luck with your case.

Regards,
Matthew Udall
Attorney
http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm
Matthew Udall is offline  
Old Oct 14th 2002, 10:32 pm
  #5  
JBJ
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 42
JBJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent! Help.

Matthew,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I will make sure what's wrong with the case tonight.

Best,
JBJ
Originally posted by Matthew Udall:


Why was it rejected? Did you file it at the wrong office? I agree with Folinskyinla, and think you need to just file it again, but make sure to not make the same mistake again. If you sent the wrong fees, make sure to send the correct amount(s), or if you tried filing it at the wrong INS office, make sure to file it at the correct office.

File it soon as its not "on-file" yet (even though you tried to file it already). The longer you wait to file, the more unlawful presence you could possibly accumulate (if you end up filing after your initial 90 days from your date of entry).

Good luck with your case.

Regards,
Matthew Udall
Attorney
http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/instimes.htm
JBJ is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2002, 2:24 am
  #6  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43,743
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent! Help.

JBJ

The two attorneys who answered your post are not familiar with your situation. You are the young lady who lives in Maryland and filed correctly with Vermont Service Center for your AOS, EAD and A/P. However, because you live in an apartment and felt you might move before your AOS appointment letter arrives you erroneously sought to circumvent the problem by putting your parents' Delaware address on the I-485 and your correct Maryland address on the EAD and A/P. I am sure that what your sister is going to read you tonight is a rejection of your AOS application stating that you filed at the wrong INS office and should have filed in Philly instead since you list a Delaware address.

One of two things will have occurred with an off the cuff suggestion if #2 has occurred:

1. You will have to refile the application, again with Vermont, and if the EAD and A/P are not returned hope that they match up somewhere along the way if they have not been returned as well.

2. Vermont forwarded your petition(s) on to Philadelphia for you and then you will have to get them reassigned back to Vermont.

3. You can abandon everything and start fresh all over again with Vermont giving your correct address on all the applications.

Rete

R
Rete is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2002, 3:35 pm
  #7  
Chris Parker
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Urgent! Help.

    > The two attorneys who answered your post are not familiar with your
    > situation. You are the young lady who lives in Maryland and filed
    > correctly with Vermont Service Center for your AOS, EAD and A/P.
    > However, because you live in an apartment and felt you might move before
    > your AOS appointment letter arrives you erroneously sought to circumvent
    > the problem by putting your parents' Delaware address on the I-485 and
    > your correct Maryland address on the EAD and A/P. I am sure that what
    > your sister is going to read you tonight is a rejection of your AOS
    > application stating that you filed at the wrong INS office and should
    > have filed in Philly instead since you list a Delaware address.
    > One of two things will have occurred with an off the cuff suggestion if
    > #2 has occurred:
    > 1. You will have to refile the application, again with Vermont, and if
    > the EAD and A/P are not returned hope that they match up somewhere
    > along the way if they have not been returned as well.
    >2. Vermont forwarded your petition(s) on to Philadelphia for you and
    > then you will have to get them reassigned back to Vermont.
    > 3. You can abandon everything and start fresh all over again with
    > Vermont giving your correct address on all the applications.

If the G-325A misrepresented her residence as being in Delaware, she
could face an inadmissibility charge which will effectively bar
adjustment approval. Or, they might not notice any misrepresentation
at all (if everything is consistent) and instead actually process it
to completion in Delaware and she'll have a little skeleton in the
closet.

In general, abandonment and re-filing is the best way out of this
situation.
CP
 
Old Oct 15th 2002, 3:38 pm
  #8  
JBJ
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 42
JBJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent! Help.

Rete,
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation on this. You are right, my sister-in-law read it to me, the INS rejected the application and say I should send it to District Office in Philidelphia. On the letter, it also said, because I-485 is unacceptable, I-765 was returned too. So I guess all the stuff were returned.

Though I haven't seen the whole package yet, however, according to my sister, everything was returned including the checks etc. I asked her to send them to me by FedEX and I can just change the address and include the copy of the rejection letter and resubmit them.

The things are clarified now, and I think I paid a price for not being cautious on the address issue.

Sincerely appreciate it, later on, I will post this experience on the kayma thing to remind other people about address issue.

Best,
JBJ

Originally posted by Rete:
JBJ

The two attorneys who answered your post are not familiar with your situation. You are the young lady who lives in Maryland and filed correctly with Vermont Service Center for your AOS, EAD and A/P. However, because you live in an apartment and felt you might move before your AOS appointment letter arrives you erroneously sought to circumvent the problem by putting your parents' Delaware address on the I-485 and your correct Maryland address on the EAD and A/P. I am sure that what your sister is going to read you tonight is a rejection of your AOS application stating that you filed at the wrong INS office and should have filed in Philly instead since you list a Delaware address.

One of two things will have occurred with an off the cuff suggestion if #2 has occurred:

1. You will have to refile the application, again with Vermont, and if the EAD and A/P are not returned hope that they match up somewhere along the way if they have not been returned as well.

2. Vermont forwarded your petition(s) on to Philadelphia for you and then you will have to get them reassigned back to Vermont.

3. You can abandon everything and start fresh all over again with Vermont giving your correct address on all the applications.

Rete

R
JBJ is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2002, 3:40 pm
  #9  
Chris Parker
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Urgent! Help.

    > The very important thing is that since my 90 day deadline is Oct 18th
    > (on I797, it said both marriage and AOS occur within the date), I am
    > wondering if I resubmit the AOS, will the old filing date (sep 27th)
    > or the new date (perhaps a bit over Oct 18th) count?

The 90 day deadline is for concluding a valid marriage following
admission with a K1 visa. After that, a pending adjustment
application is necessary to maintain continued lawful status. You
are, however, permanently eligible to file for adjustment at any time
following the marriage, and may renew the adjustment application as
needed. If you refile, the new filing date will then apply. This is
irrelevant, however, since your green card will not be dated until the
date of application approval (i.e. adjustment interview).


CP
 
Old Oct 15th 2002, 5:45 pm
  #10  
Paulgani
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Urgent! Help.

"Chris Parker" wrote in message
news:cebf7f45.0210150735-
[email protected]
...
    > If the G-325A misrepresented her residence as being in Delaware, she
    > could face an inadmissibility charge which will effectively bar
    > adjustment approval.

It must be a "material" misrepresentation for a bar to kick in.

Paulgani
 
Old Oct 16th 2002, 4:35 pm
  #11  
JBJ
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 42
JBJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent! Help.

Thank you guys,
I have received the package from Delaware, and everything is included ( I found INS people actually reorganized my files, and stapled&bunched here and there).

I will refilled in the I-485 with the new address and resubmit it to VSC, cause my residence is in Maryland.

Anyway, I think i can submit it by Oct 18th, therefore, I wouldn't worry about the deadline issue now.

Best,
JBJ



Originally posted by Paulgani:
"Chris Parker" wrote in message
news:cebf7f45.0210150735-
[email protected]
...
    > If the G-325A misrepresented her residence as being in Delaware, she
    > could face an inadmissibility charge which will effectively bar
    > adjustment approval.

It must be a "material" misrepresentation for a bar to kick in.

Paulgani
JBJ is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2002, 6:17 pm
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Melbourne Fl
Posts: 458
simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Urgent! Help.

Originally posted by JBJ:
Thank you guys,
I have received the package from Delaware, and everything is included ( I found INS people actually reorganized my files, and stapled&bunched here and there).

I will refilled in the I-485 with the new address and resubmit it to VSC, cause my residence is in Maryland.

Anyway, I think i can submit it by Oct 18th, therefore, I wouldn't worry about the deadline issue now.

Best,
JBJ



It's been a while since I filed for AOS, but I thought there was a space on the forms to list an agent. If this is the case then list your family member and the Delaware address as your agent, I think this means that both addresses will get any NOA's etc.

Hope I'm right, but it's worth looking into anyway, if the chances are that you will move from your present address

Good Luck

Simon
simon bland is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2002, 6:55 pm
  #13  
JBJ
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 42
JBJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Urgent! Help.

Simon,
Thanks a lot for the information. I am not sure if the forms have been changed, I didn't see space for agent.

Anyway, appreciate your sharing the tips.

Have a good one.

Best,
JBJ
Originally posted by simon bland:


It's been a while since I filed for AOS, but I thought there was a space on the forms to list an agent. If this is the case then list your family member and the Delaware address as your agent, I think this means that both addresses will get any NOA's etc.

Hope I'm right, but it's worth looking into anyway, if the chances are that you will move from your present address

Good Luck

Simon
JBJ is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.