British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Urgent help – Temporary health insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/urgent-help-%E2%80%93-temporary-health-insurance-883963/)

UK2toUSA Sep 29th 2016 3:46 am

Urgent help – Temporary health insurance

Hi All,

We (family of 3 ) require temporary health insurance for the month of October only and from November onwards my employer health cover will start.

I am unable to find any info on www.healthcare.gov so please if someone know any companies or any agents in new jersey who provide temporary health covers then please let me know ( we are healthy family and I have got the certificates from our GP confirming the same + our medical records from the UK)

Thanks in advance.

Wintersong Sep 29th 2016 4:48 am

Re: Urgent help – Temporary health insurance

It looks as though you can cancel a marketplace plan at any time - Can I Cancel Marketplace Insurance When I Get a Job? - Obamacare Facts

MrSunu Sep 29th 2016 10:08 am

Hi all, I would be interested too if anyone has information for NY. Strangely enough the healthcare.gov redirects you to nystateofhealth.ny.gov for NY but it does not work for me, is that the case for someone on BE browsing from the states?

MidAtlantic Sep 29th 2016 11:41 am

Originally Posted by UK2toUSA (Post 12064014)
Hi All,

We (family of 3 ) require temporary health insurance for the month of October only and from November onwards my employer health cover will start.

I am unable to find any info on www.healthcare.gov so please if someone know any companies or any agents in new jersey who provide temporary health covers then please let me know ( we are healthy family and I have got the certificates from our GP confirming the same + our medical records from the UK)

Thanks in advance.

When I first came, several years ago now, I signed up with a short term policy with Blue Cross Blue Shield. It looks like they still do short term policies.

Pulaski Sep 29th 2016 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by MrSunu (Post 12064192)
Hi all, I would be interested too if anyone has information for NY. Strangely enough the healthcare.gov redirects you to nystateofhealth.ny.gov for NY but it does not work for me, is that the case for someone on BE browsing from the states?

The federal healthcare portal does that - directs you to the state portal if there is one, and only offers insurance policies to those in states without a state portal.

The background is that the federal government had expected that all states would leap to support the Affordable Care Act by developing their own portals, but about one third of states decided not to do so. The Federal government was left with little choice to develop a fully functional federal insurance marketplace to plug the gap left by non-participating states.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 29th 2016 12:32 pm

Welcome to NJ FamilyCare

kins Sep 30th 2016 3:09 am

Try ehealtth.com. It will only list plans for you if you put in that you are moving to a new area and give a move date that's in the past.

Once you have a list of companies that sells health insurance in your state then I would call the companies direct to find out about buying a plan.

BTW it doesn't make any difference how healthy you are.

MidAtlantic Sep 30th 2016 11:28 am

Originally Posted by kins (Post 12065036)
BTW it doesn't make any difference how healthy you are.

Except that you may choose to take a higher deductible on the basis that the risk of claiming is lower.

kins Sep 30th 2016 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12065228)
Except that you may choose to take a higher deductible on the basis that the risk of claiming is lower.

True... although I was healthy until the year I wasn't :-)

I was responding to the fact that the OP seems to think that records showing the family is healthy will make a difference to the availability or price of the family's insurance. It's a common misconception.

MidAtlantic Sep 30th 2016 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by kins (Post 12065276)
True... although I was healthy until the year I wasn't :-)

:rofl:

Pulaski Sep 30th 2016 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by kins (Post 12065276)
..... I was responding to the fact that the OP seems to think that records showing the family is healthy will make a difference to the availability or price of the family's insurance. It's a common misconception.

Well it does, but as MidAtlantic pointed out it is you that gets to take on the risk by way of a higher deductible, the insurance companies don't offer lower premiums (with the same deductible) for those with a good health record.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 30th 2016 9:19 pm

I clicked on ehealth, seems only non compliant plans.

kins Oct 1st 2016 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12065718)
I clicked on ehealth, seems only non compliant plans.

How odd - when I look it shows me all the same plans I see on healthcare.gov. You do need to have had a major life event have happen in the recent past to see the compliant plans, as I recall. Otherwise it just shows you non-compliant short term plans.

kins Oct 1st 2016 6:04 pm

But really, IMO you're just looking at ehealth to see which companies offer plans at all in your state, then you can call them to buy the plan directly. At least... that's how it works in Maine...

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 1st 2016 6:06 pm

I was looking for short term policies.

As far as O Care is concerned much of CO only has one provider.