Reload this Page >

Urgent - Foreign Exchange Conversion

Urgent - Foreign Exchange Conversion

Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Delzchateau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Urgent - Foreign Exchange Conversion

Hi Everyone...

Can anyone recommend the best way to convert a sum of £ into $. I am moving to Westchester county and need to put a deposit down (2 months rent) for a house. I suspect my bank in the UK will rip me off for the transaction - any suggestions and hints gratefully received!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent - Foreign Exchange Conversion

The bank will rip you off....but for amounts that small you may have no option.

UKForex and XEtrade are two commonly used entities on here, but you are usually subject to a minimum transation amount.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36

UKForex and XEtrade are two commonly used entities on here, but you are usually subject to a minimum transation amount.
2 months rent in westchester could be a sizeable amount - $12k easily in some places
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

There is no minimum transaction on XE that I know of - if there is, it is small.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:56 am
Just Joined

CelticLC is an unknown quantity at this point

I found that by opening an account in USA and UK for HSBC I can transfer money between the accounts without a fee, I simply have the conversion rate. I am not sure how much time you have, however.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:33 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CelticLC
I found that by opening an account in USA and UK for HSBC I can transfer money between the accounts without a fee, I simply have the conversion rate. I am not sure how much time you have, however.
...and have you noticed how they screw you on the conversion rate? You are aware that you're paying for the "no fee" convenience through them taking a significant cut on the exchange, right?
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
...and have you noticed how they screw you on the conversion rate? You are aware that you're paying for the "no fee" convenience through them taking a significant cut on the exchange, right?
I have a US Citibank account and UK Abbey. I haven't noticed anything screwy about the exchange.

I'm just careful when about the moment when I choose to transfer money.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Delzchateau is an unknown quantity at this point

OK - thx. I have set up an account with ukforex.co.uk as my bank gave me an awful rate of exchange and were going to charge me £25 per transfer on top of that. ukforex had slightly better rates and no one off charges - money in the a/c the following business day. Thx everyone...
Old Oct 14th 2008, 1:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
2 months rent in westchester could be a sizeable amount - $12k easily in some places

Thank you. Was just about to write that the rental on a house in Westchester could be as low as $3,500 a month to $10,000 a month depending on size of house and location.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Delzchateau
I have set up an account with ukforex.co.uk
Easy to set up as well wasn't it?

I don't know why XE are so popular, their exchange rates aren't as good as UKForex and XE is a ballache to get set up.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 4:12 am
sas
Forum Regular

sas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nice

Easy to set up as well wasn't it?

I don't know why XE are so popular, their exchange rates aren't as good as UKForex and XE is a ballache to get set up.

My only problem with UKForex/OZForex is that they never reply to e-mails, I've never tried a transaction with them yet because I normally use XE
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:06 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
I have a US Citibank account and UK Abbey. I haven't noticed anything screwy about the exchange.

I'm just careful when about the moment when I choose to transfer money.
Really? Have you compared the rate on a given transaction with the rate offered by UKForex or XE.com on that same day?

The banks don't to anything for free. They take their fee from the rate spread.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Really? Have you compared the rate on a given transaction with the rate offered by UKForex or XE.com on that same day?

The banks don't to anything for free. They take their fee from the rate spread.
Well, I recorded the exchange rate at the time that I requested the transfer - all good when I calculated the exchange for the money received into my US account. Secondly, I can transfer any amount I want without charge - in that there is no minimum amount like £1000 to transfer funds. I've done as little as £20 without problems.

I can't see anything wrong so far.