Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Urgent - fast track to a work permit?

Urgent - fast track to a work permit?

Old Dec 19th 2002, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

rain_king_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Urgent - fast track to a work permit?

Hi, wonder if someone can help me with some information.

I came to the US a few months ago from the UK on a visa waiver, and ended up marrying my girlfriend while I was here. I am in New York. I now want to stay here, and have a good job opportunity lined up. However I haven't filed my change of status yet, so I have no work permit. The job is due to start in early January but obviously I can't take it unless I can get a work permit.

I am hoping there is some quick way to get a work permit when filing for my change of status. I heard some offices will issue the work permit the same day as the application. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.
Old Dec 20th 2002, 1:56 pm
The Dogs bollox

southcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JANET MACLEOD
If you married an American citizen,that should be enough.On the other hand,if the people you are going to work for are really interested,they can file for a work permit for you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,On the other hand,,go to the site www.google.com type in work permit for USA there you will get all the rules and regulations

Marrying a American citizen does not mean you qualify for a instant work permit. You have to file for AOS, and apply for a employment card at the same time. Each state is VERY different in Texas, I had to wait 90 days from the very day that I applied for AOS to get a employment card. (If you haven't got your card within 90 days in the post, then on the 91 st you are entitled to walk into your local office and demand a employment card, it also cost me $100).

As for the company sponsoring you, that takes alot of paperwork and alot of money for that company, and in todays economy there are very few companys that are willing to do that.

Don't mean to dampen your fireworks rain-king, but you will have to work fast at filing for adjustment of status/employment card for that Jan start date, but it may be impossible. Maybe you can contact the company and explain your situation and explain that us Brits are hard workers and we are worth the hassle..

Good luck to you.
Old Dec 20th 2002, 2:48 pm
The Dogs bollox

Originally posted by JANET MACLEOD
I already said,,,,,,,go to www.google.com type in work permit U.S.A
Where all the legalities are posted.This comes straight from the horses mouth,,,,not what everyone else has done,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
sounds like you need to calm down there a little bit...

First of all you are the one that stated "If your married to a American Citizen, that should be enough"... .what you think getting married to a USC is a one way ticket to everything..... then you haven't gone through the process of AOS etc...

This forum is about people, informing other brits on personal experiences albeit right or wrong....My situation was very similar to Rain-kings...so I just wanted to point out a few things....

Going to a research site is a great idea...but sometimes personal experiences help too...if you really wanted to find the ins and outs of AOS then try www.ins.usdoj.gov "That is the horses mouth"..
Old Dec 20th 2002, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

rain_king_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses, I went to the INS office here in New York today and was told I have to mail my forms The immigration officer told me that I can expect a 90+ wait to get an EAD so unfortunately this job is going to slip away by then I think.

Thanks again everyone.
Old Dec 20th 2002, 8:10 pm
The Dogs bollox

Originally posted by rain_king_uk
Thanks for the responses, I went to the INS office here in New York today and was told I have to mail my forms The immigration officer told me that I can expect a 90+ wait to get an EAD so unfortunately this job is going to slip away by then I think.

Thanks again everyone.
Sorry to hear that Rain-king

Like I explained earlier, it is a huge hassle getting a EAD, and no matter how much you write letters or call them, you will have to wait the 90 days....BUT DONT FORGET, ON THE 91ST DAY YOU CAN WALK INTO THE OFFICE AND GET YOUR EAD....by law they have too..

Hang on in there, adjusting status and doing all the paperwork is a big pain in the arse, but it will be worth it.