British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   URGENT AoS INTERVIEW TOMORROW (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/urgent-aos-interview-tomorrow-161865/)

Midian Jun 26th 2003 12:40 am

URGENT AoS INTERVIEW TOMORROW

Hi there Forum,

I came to the US last july and married my girl on the spur of the moment, we have filed all our papers and I have a work use SS#, my work autherisation card and my full drivers license for Indiana, I am working full time at Comcast and my wife and I have just bought a house together which we cannot move into untill after my Adjustment of Status Interview up in Indy tomorrow (6/26/03), we are also expecting our first child around Christmas.

My problem is this, I have sent off for my police cert from the UK, however the length of notice we got for my AoS interview was not enough for me to get my cert back from the UK... at the time of writing I dont even have my receipt. I am not a criminal and recieved a caution as a youngster for buying some dodgy ciggies, I have never had charges against me nor been prosecuted for anything and have only that one experience in my past.

Will the Immigration officials allow me some time for the cert to arrive? We have worked so hard and come so far that it is nuts for it all to fall apart at this last hurdle.

Any advice will be gratefully recieved as my interview is tomorrow morning Thursday 26th June 2003.

Midian

mark19964 Jun 26th 2003 8:00 am

Dont Panic, is the first piece of information.

The police certificates issued in the UK are taking time to come through. Mine arrived a week before my interview at US Embassy in London and only after I chased Herts constabulary.

Id applied for it the moment I got my Filing package for GC status, that was 2 months prior to interview.

Mine arrived after 42 days, the reciept came about 2 weeks before the interview.

Just inform the authorities there, the moment you turn up for the interview, dont sit around unless instructed to do so - nothing like sitting there for 3 hours to be told, sorry you dont have all your info please join that queue for new appointments.

Good luck - Mark

Midian Jun 26th 2003 8:42 pm

Thanks for that Mark,

As it turned out all my worry was for nothing, my wife and I turned up to interview with all our other supporting documentation to support our house purchase, relationship etc... the interviewing officer asked us both some simple questions and confirmed what I had already declared about my caution, he didnt even ask for the cert although I told him at the outset of interview I would need time to get it to him.

15 Minutes later I walked out of interview a Legal Permanent Resident.

My experience with INS has been nothing but positive and the whole process from filing to LPR status has taken 9 months from within the States.

My thanks to those on these forums that have helped me with their advice over the months, you are all gems.

All I can advise, is treat INS as you would wish to be treated, smile and remember your please and thankyou's... and above all else... DO NOT TELL LIES AT ANY POINT... they may return to haunt you later.

Thanks all and take care

Drew LPR Status granted 6/26/03

Originally posted by mark19964
Dont Panic, is the first piece of information.

The police certificates issued in the UK are taking time to come through. Mine arrived a week before my interview at US Embassy in London and only after I chased Herts constabulary.

Id applied for it the moment I got my Filing package for GC status, that was 2 months prior to interview.

Mine arrived after 42 days, the reciept came about 2 weeks before the interview.

Just inform the authorities there, the moment you turn up for the interview, dont sit around unless instructed to do so - nothing like sitting there for 3 hours to be told, sorry you dont have all your info please join that queue for new appointments.

Good luck - Mark

debs36 Jun 27th 2003 6:37 pm

Originally posted by Midian
Thanks for that Mark,

As it turned out all my worry was for nothing, my wife and I turned up to interview with all our other supporting documentation to support our house purchase, relationship etc... the interviewing officer asked us both some simple questions and confirmed what I had already declared about my caution, he didnt even ask for the cert although I told him at the outset of interview I would need time to get it to him.

15 Minutes later I walked out of interview a Legal Permanent Resident.

My experience with INS has been nothing but positive and the whole process from filing to LPR status has taken 9 months from within the States.

My thanks to those on these forums that have helped me with their advice over the months, you are all gems.

All I can advise, is treat INS as you would wish to be treated, smile and remember your please and thankyou's... and above all else... DO NOT TELL LIES AT ANY POINT... they may return to haunt you later.

Thanks all and take care

Drew LPR Status granted 6/26/03
Pleased as punch for you and yours, well done.

All the best - Mark - debs36 is my other half(sorry if confused)