Reload this Page >

Urgent Advice Required

Urgent Advice Required

Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:04 am
Just Joined

EmaP1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Urgent Advice Required

Good morning everyone

This is my first post so please bear with me.

My boyfriend has just been told he has secured a 3 year contract in Texas, I am naturally devastated but very happy for him as it has been his dream for many years. I would like to move over there with him , I am experienced recruitment manager however I do not have a degree I am finding that companies will not even look at my CV.

I would be grateful for any advice you could give me , I will quite happily put myself through a degree however it will take me longer than what he is going to be out there for.

thanks

Ema
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent Advice Required

Realistically your choices are (i) get married if you want to work, (ii) B2 if you're a cohabiting partner, but working is not possible, or (iii) stay in the UK.

There are other theoretical possibilities such as F1 student visa, but likely not helpful for you.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmaP1981
Good morning everyone

This is my first post so please bear with me.

My boyfriend has just been told he has secured a 3 year contract in Texas, I am naturally devastated but very happy for him as it has been his dream for many years. I would like to move over there with him , I am experienced recruitment manager however I do not have a degree I am finding that companies will not even look at my CV.

I would be grateful for any advice you could give me , I will quite happily put myself through a degree however it will take me longer than what he is going to be out there for.

thanks

Ema
There are only very limited options.

1. Get married. If he is on a L-1 visa (company transfer) you will get a L2 visa and can work at any job you please once you get your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) which generally takes 60-90 days after arrival. If he is on a H1-B visa (new employee), you'll get a H4 visa which doesn't allow your to work.

2. Apply for a B2 cohabiting visa if you were previously living together. You can live in the US but cannot work.

3. Apply for F1 visa and attend college in the US.

Without a degree or equivalent work experience in a specialty field or company transfer, there isn't any other visas to work except seasonal visas (H2 visas). Even with requirements for a H-1B visa, applications aren't accepted until April 1 for work starting no earlier than October and this year the visas were oversubscribed as soon as applications were accepted. Also companies are reluctant to hire a foreigner on a H-1B visa unless they can't find an American with the skills needed due to the wait time and cost (several thousand dollars).

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00b92ca60aRCRD

Last edited by Michael; Jun 20th 2013 at 10:32 am.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your help guys. It looks like going back to School is my only option. Where do I start to even apply for courses within Texas and will they accept me ?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help guys. It looks like going back to School is my only option. Where do I start to even apply for courses within Texas and will they accept me ?
You usually have to be a full time student (usually that is a minimum of 12 credits or 3 courses 5 days per week). Usually community colleges (2 year associate degree that can be credited towards a 4 year college or university to get a bachelors or masters degree) are the most inexpensive but you'll have to pay out of state fees.

The following is a list of community colleges in Texas. You should be able to click on any of the listed colleges and find information about the college and tuition fees.

http://www.tacc.org/tcc_links.htm

Once you decide on the college, then you'll have to work with the college to get accepted on a F-1 visa. See the following link for an example of the requirements for Alamo colleges.

http://www.alamo.edu/mainwide.aspx?id=506
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:21 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Please note you're going to have to show the financial capability to support yourself in school without having to work (more or less). Generally I think that means you have to show a little more than a year's worth of expenses (tuition and living expenses) in the bank.

http://www.internationalstudentforum...php?f=9&t=9116
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your help , there is so much to take in I feeling rather lost. Does it or will it make a difference if my father has a dual citizenship with Hong Kong I don't think it will but I thought I would ask. Also do you feel I would be more successful looking for temporary work?.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you for your help , there is so much to take in I feeling rather lost. Does it or will it make a difference if my father has a dual citizenship with Hong Kong I don't think it will but I thought I would ask. Also do you feel I would be more successful looking for temporary work?.
No and No. Seasonal work is for ski resorts and other seasonal work and you have to leave the US after the job is over.

http://usvisa.com/h-2_visa.shtml

My suggestion is to get married unless you are a same sex couple and then that won't help.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 12:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that if your boyfriend's contract is only for three years, you likely won't have completed a four year degree. Theoretically, with a heavy course load, including "summer school" during the summer holiday, it is possible, but it sounds like there is a good chance you'll study for three years and only have a collection of study credits to show for it.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 2:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Very limited work opportunity on a student visa, after first semester and limited to on campus, but realistically, you won't be getting it over work study students who get those jobs first.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 3:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Does it or will it make a difference if my father has a dual citizenship with Hong Kong...
No.

Also do you feel I would be more successful looking for temporary work?.
No.

Is there a reason you're against marriage? That would be the easiest way of accompanying your SO to the USA.

Rene
Old Jun 20th 2013, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

If you guys love each other get married. If it works out it will be a wonderful experience.
If not, get divorced.

That's the way my wife and I approached it. It's now our 10th anniversary and we're very much strongly in love and I could never imagine being apart.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Just had to tell you, Hotscot....that spontaneous public declaration made me smile.

I hope your wife gets to see it
Old Jun 20th 2013, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
There are only very limited options.

1. Get married. If he is on a L-1 visa (company transfer) you will get a L2 visa and can work at any job you please once you get your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) which generally takes 60-90 days after arrival. If he is on a H1-B visa (new employee), you'll get a H4 visa which doesn't allow your to work.

2. Apply for a B2 cohabiting visa if you were previously living together. You can live in the US but cannot work.

3. Apply for F1 visa and attend college in the US.

Without a degree or equivalent work experience in a specialty field or company transfer, there isn't any other visas to work except seasonal visas (H2 visas). Even with requirements for a H-1B visa, applications aren't accepted until April 1 for work starting no earlier than October and this year the visas were oversubscribed as soon as applications were accepted. Also companies are reluctant to hire a foreigner on a H-1B visa unless they can't find an American with the skills needed due to the wait time and cost (several thousand dollars).

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00b92ca60aRCRD
And the 4th option: long distance relationship. It has worked for some of us on here.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
Just had to tell you, Hotscot....that spontaneous public declaration made me smile.

I hope your wife gets to see it
Damn...I'll have to show her now
Cute teacher with a brain and is a gourmet cook...believe me, I'm in heaven, every day.

Thanks.