Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Upset about my dream of American immigration being shattered

Upset about my dream of American immigration being shattered

Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:28 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upset about my dream of American immigration being shattered

Originally Posted by penguinsix
You have so many options that most people who want to come to America but can't would kill or die to be in your shoes.

1) Education. If you can afford it, you can come to the US and study for University. If you can't afford it, you can go to Uni in the UK and do one year as an 'exchange' student in the US studying here. If that doesn't work, you can do a BUNAC visit for awhile. If that's not an option, you can come over for a one year master's degree after you finish your school there, and then work for a year getting "practical work training" in which you wow an employer and they sponsor you for something more.
+1. This was the basis of what I did. Undergraduate degree in the UK paid for by UKG (no longer completely possible, I believe), graduate degree in the US paid for by USG. It doesn't guarantee you the right to stay, but you get a much better shot, especially through networking while you're here. Also delays your career-limiting decisions by a few years, and is fully compatible with the HS method of accelerated immigration.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:34 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I should maybe add that I didn't even think of moving to the US until after my undergrad degree, and I've been here ever since that very same year (about 20 years now). You can still make this work, but don't make it the focus of your existence otherwise you may end up disappointed.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Don't understand how your dream has been 'shattered'
Then I suspect that you probably also don't remember what it was like to be 15 years old ...

[note that, for the purposes of this reply, I am suspending my natural skepticism and assuming, for the sake of argument, that the OP is genuine and actually is 15 years old - this should not be taken to mean that I actually believe that this is the case]
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:42 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Then I suspect that you probably also don't remember what it was like to be 15 years old ...
I can't remember much about being 15, but I can remember that my idea of long term planning went about as far as the weekend!
Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GranttGillingg
Hi,

I have wanted to move to America ever since I can remember. I am currently 15 and have decided to research Visas and have found out it's not as easy as I once imagined.

I am really stressed at the moment because my dream has been shattered.

Is there any path/career I can go down to move to preferably USA or Canada?

I want to be a journo but also an architect, and the latter is the best path for a Visa in the USA I've heard.

Thanks.
I suggest you move to Saudi Arabia and open up a Distillery.

Jim.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:25 am
Powder Maggot

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
I can't remember much about being 15, but I can remember that my idea of long term planning went about as far as the weekend!
Mine still does, if it's Thursday. Is that a problem?
Old Oct 20th 2011, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

[note that, for the purposes of this reply, I am suspending my natural skepticism and assuming, for the sake of argument, that the OP is genuine and actually is 15 years old - this should not be taken to mean that I actually believe that this is the case]
How could a 15-year-old emigrate anyway?
Old Oct 20th 2011, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

How could a 15-year-old emigrate anyway?
... but they can dream, and have their dream shattered, and have their entire life ruined, and get over it - sometimes several times in a single day ...

So, if the OP really is only 15 years old you shouldn't expect them to be entirely realistic or rational about any of this (and, of course, if it is just someone trolling and trying to wind us up then all bets are off ...)
Old Oct 20th 2011, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

... but they can dream, and have their dream shattered, and have their entire life ruined, and get over it - sometimes several times in a single day ...

So, if the OP really is only 15 years old you shouldn't expect them to be entirely realistic or rational about any of this (and, of course, if it is just someone trolling and trying to wind us up then all bets are off ...)
Yea, my dream of marrying Freddie Mercury was shattered
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Yea, my dream of marrying Freddie Mercury was shattered

I heard he never got over it either
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:20 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

It's that simple!
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:32 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

The very movie that convinced me to move to Minnesota! Oh the dissapointment!
Old Oct 20th 2011, 2:48 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
The very movie that convinced me to move to Minnesota! Oh the dissapointment!
Really?

You must be f *ck-ugly.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GranttGillingg
Hi,

I have wanted to move to America ever since I can remember. I am currently 15 and have decided to research Visas and have found out it's not as easy as I once imagined.

I am really stressed at the moment because my dream has been shattered.
I take it your dream was shattered because you realised you couldn't just sort of move over there, buy a house, and live there permanently. I remember discovering a similar thing at 13, and it was crushing. Ten years later I was living in the United States. It is possible. People on here are proof of that. Lots of good advice in this thread - look into what people have said. It requires determination, and a positive attitude.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

GranttGillingg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot everyone!

I am going to do well at school, go to college, then Uni then get some experience then hopefully move to News International (a multi-national company).

Or I might just do what Colin did

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.