Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Upping my credit score

Upping my credit score

Old Apr 25th 2016, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upping my credit score

Originally Posted by Hanco
Yes, around 700 you should get another credit product without much effort.

730 here and with a salary into a checking account I have the offer of a mortgage

(EDIT: Almost 2 years in the country)
After 6 months and similar score I also was able to take out a mortgage. This was in 2009 when the regulations were tightening down.
Old May 16th 2016, 2:48 am
Just Joined

SassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond repute

What do you do when you can"t even get approved for a secured credit card with your own bank??
Been in VA for one month now.
Old May 16th 2016, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SassoonGirl
What do you do when you can"t even get approved for a secured credit card with your own bank??
Been in VA for one month now.
Go to Bank of America. I had a SSN and $2000 deposit for the security. It was effortless. My other half, with no SSN but a letter from the DSS to say ineligible for SSN, and $1000 deposit, was able to open a secure card also.

Note, we both had checking accounts with Bank Of America too.
Old May 16th 2016, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Bank of America. I had a SSN and $2000 deposit for the security. It was effortless. My other half, with no SSN but a letter from the DSS to say ineligible for SSN, and $1000 deposit, was able to open a secure card also.

Note, we both had checking accounts with Bank Of America too.

Yes, BoA secured is probably the best bet. They returned my deposit after a year or so and converted it to a regular credit card.

Capital one do a secured card too, but they wouldn't convert it for me, I had to close the account to get my deposit back.
Old May 16th 2016, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Wells Fargo also has a good reputation for helping expats.
Old May 16th 2016, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatashaB
Yes, BoA secured is probably the best bet. They returned my deposit after a year or so and converted it to a regular credit card.

Capital one do a secured card too, but they wouldn't convert it for me, I had to close the account to get my deposit back.
BOA actually gave me my deposit back and left the card open plus opened me a new card. That wasn't what I expected!

What it meant of course was this:

1) They have annual fees from me for both accounts

2) Possibly helps credit rating to have two cards (one with original credit line limit plus new one)

3) Clerk at the bank notched up another account opened that day

4) You don't wanna close an account if you can avoid it because of the potential impact on your credit rating.
Old May 16th 2016, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

SassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSassoonGirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have now applied online for the Bank of America card. I joined Credit Karma and they recommended a few.
They couldn't give me a decision straight away though, they'll be in touch, which is what Citibank said then I got a rejection letter.
Does applying for a few then being rejected hinder a non existent credit score?
Old May 16th 2016, 1:49 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Wells Fargo will usually offer secured credit card once you have your social security number.

Advancial will also offer an unsecured credit card to new arrivals - they are targeting people like us. - and you don't need an account with them.

AIG Inbound for about $500 a year is usually a good deal - most people I know have saved this amount in the first 6 month's car insurance deals they find for you, they will also find the best credit card deals and mortgages.
Old May 16th 2016, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

I have now applied online for the Bank of America card. I joined Credit Karma and they recommended a few.
They couldn't give me a decision straight away though, they'll be in touch, which is what Citibank said then I got a rejection letter.
Go into the bank (make an appointment) would be my advice. Open a checking account, and ask to open a secured credit card.

I think you won't help the process of getting your credit score off the ground by applying on line and being rejected and then applying online for another!

If you want to know if you really have "no credit score at all" you could use the free annual check you can do online (once per year it is free).

The Experian website explains how to do this free here: How to Get Your Free Annual Credit Report from Experian

You can also pay Experian to do more than once a year. Checking your own credit score history etc does not affect your score. Running hard credit checks by applying for cards/loans etc does reduce your score. Having that happen and getting rejections makes no sense, so that's why I say, go see the bank and say you want to give them money to secure the card credit line you would like to have.

Then, always pay off your card every month, on time
Old May 16th 2016, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, I just noticed you show here as "Location: Leeds".

Are you still in the UK?

If so, wait until you get here, get an address, get an SSN (or letter from the DSS showing you are not entitled to one)

You can open a checking account easy without the SSN (or letter), but need an address perhaps. For me, I think I'm right recalling that the bank wanted something with my name and address on it. I posted a blank envelope to a friend's house with my name on it and their address. That worked fine. I wished I had opened a US account when I came here on holiday years before ... Still no harm done.

I'm from West Yorkshire too, and worked in Leeds. Send me a PM if you like and let me know where you are headed.
Old May 16th 2016, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

ked in Leeds. Send me a PM if you like and let me know where you are headed.
I worked in Pudsey for a while, some interesting times.
Old May 16th 2016, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Ah, I just noticed you show here as "Location: Leeds".

Are you still in the UK?

If so, wait until you get here, get an address, get an SSN (or letter from the DSS showing you are not entitled to one)

You can open a checking account easy without the SSN (or letter), but need an address perhaps. For me, I think I'm right recalling that the bank wanted something with my name and address on it. I posted a blank envelope to a friend's house with my name on it and their address. That worked fine. I wished I had opened a US account when I came here on holiday years before ... Still no harm done.

I'm from West Yorkshire too, and worked in Leeds. Send me a PM if you like and let me know where you are headed.

I moved about a month ago, just not changed my profile location. 😄

Yeah I will go into Citibank and ask personally if the BoA card doesn't work out.
Old May 17th 2016, 4:11 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I moved about a month ago, just not changed my profile location. 😄

Yeah I will go into Citibank and ask personally if the BoA card doesn't work out.
If the BoA card doesn't work out, I would wait for a bit. Nobody in the branch can authorise a credit card - they will refer it to the credit division who will do a credit check on you which will affect your credit score if you are refused again.

What you can do is phone up and ask about why they rejected you. A friend was rejected at first by British airways credit card but after she called them and gave them details of all the credit cards she could use even as just an authorised user, the "system" authorised the BA card.

A month is not a long time to have to wait either.
Old May 17th 2016, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
What you can do is phone up and ask about why they rejected you. A friend was rejected at first by British airways credit card but after she called them and gave them details of all the credit cards she could use even as just an authorised user, the "system" authorised the BA card.
Good idea to call up. I would ask to do it from within the bank.

If the card (BOA) you have applied for online is not a secured one then it may still be possible to get one in the bank. It does still involve credit pull.
Old May 17th 2016, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Are you being very clear that you are seeking a secured credit card and do you have a deposit for the security?

Personally I would go to Wells Fargo, who have a reputation for helping/understanding expats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.