Reload this Page >

Upper Saddle River, NJ or Wilton CT

Upper Saddle River, NJ or Wilton CT

Old May 3rd 2013, 7:29 am
Just Joined

TheGriswalds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Upper Saddle River, NJ or Wilton CT

Hi all

I'm in discussions with my company re a relocation to the New York area. I've narrowed down my choices of areas to live based on research of school districts and proximity to my company's 2 main offices namely Fairfield County Ct (Wilton) and Bergen County NJ (Uper Saddle River or similar). My initial preference is Wilton CT as we've friends in the area, the schools look great and I like the area. However for practical (work) reasons, Bergen County might be the sensible option so I'm looking for any independent views based on personal experience. My kids are 14 (would enter 1st Year of High School) and 12 (would enter Middle school)

thanks in advance
Old May 3rd 2013, 2:30 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upper Saddle River, NJ or Wilton CT

Wilton is a lovely place, and the adjacent towns of Ridgefield and Redding are also attractive upscale New England areas with excellent school systems. You can't go wrong with any one of them. They are within commuter distance of NYC, so house prices are expensive -- but not as bad as they were a few years ago. Wish you could see the area right now -- spring has arrived, the blossom is out, and it is really beautiful!
Old May 3rd 2013, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

If your Manhattan office is nearer GCT than Penn, then consider CT, if it's nearer Penn, consider NJ.
Old May 4th 2013, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

CA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Ridgewood, Bergen County which is a fantastic town with great schools. Glen Rock next door is also nice. Upper Saddle River has some huge houses and is a very wealthy area with some major real estate. I don't think USR has a walkable town center as such whereas somewhere like Ridgewood has a thriving town center with stores, bars, restaurants. You might note that USR has no train station to NYC so you'd have to drive to maybe Ramsey to get a train. Other towns up there are nice like Ho-Ho-Kus, Ramsey, Allendale, Franklin Lakes but the further north you go, the further away you are from NYC.

Most of the towns in northern Bergen County are nice, family oriented towns, good schools, near good shopping. Just think how far you're happy commuting into NYC.

Happy to help with any other specific questions on Bergen County.
Old May 4th 2013, 6:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks all. I'm planing a trip across shortly so will spend some time looking at Ridgewood and surrounding towns before making a final decision. One additional slightly more personal question if I may. The proposed salary is somewhere between $260-270k, on the face of it based on my research and calculations this seems ok for a decent (not excessive) quality of life but again I'd be interested in a view from folks on the ground.
Thanks again
Old May 4th 2013, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

CA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond reputeCA-NY has a reputation beyond repute

That salary should give you a nice lifestyle. Take a look at www.njmls.com to start getting a feel for rental prices. Assuming you want a good sized single family home, you might be somewhere in the $3500 a month plus range.

We have about half that to play with, we have no children, husband is 2 miles cheap his office so commuting costs are negligible and we are managing just fine so far. We pay $1895 rent per month, lease on a new Ford Edge is $320, insurance is high at $245 a month, grocery shopping I've got it comparable to UK once you know where to go. Internet/tv is around $130 for full package, gas and electric averaging about $100 a month.

Hope those numbers help a bit.
Old May 4th 2013, 7:40 am
Just Joined

thats very helpful thanks
Old May 6th 2013, 2:43 am
Just Joined

SherylEpsteinRomano is an unknown quantity at this point

As a resident of Upper Saddle River, and having had my children go through the local school system, I am partial to that town. It is one of 2 towns in Bergen County that have zoning which guarantees every resident (with few exceptions) minimum lot sizes, so if you like land, Upper Saddle River (about 1 acre) or Saddle River (about 2 acres) would be the town of choice.
As previous post said, most of the towns in the area have good school systems, so there it would be hard to go wrong...small differences, like ratio (students per teacher) in each classroom.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 6th 2013 at 2:50 am. Reason: A little spammy for a first post. Plse read the Site Rules
Old May 7th 2013, 11:44 am
Just Joined

thanks for the input. all useful data to help drive a decision