British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Upload Digital Photo from Internet cafe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/upload-digital-photo-internet-cafe-106322/)

peyej Jan 17th 2002 3:18 pm

Hi

My wife and i are planning a 5 month trip to the USA. We are thinking about buying a digital camera and to maintain a home page.

Now my questions is, if it's possible to go to a internet cafe and upload the pictures to our Provider.

I looked a little bit around and have seen several different storage system on the DC.

There are DC which can be connected to a USB Port.(Needed W98 or W2K).

- Can I connect to the USB Port of the PC in a internet cafe?

Other use Smartcards.

- If you wanna connect directly you need to install some SW on the PC. Is that possible ?

There are USB- or Floppy- Adapter for these cards

Can I use the Floppy drive in a internet cafe?

Thanks in Advance for your help

I wish you all a nice day

Regards
Jan

Steve B. Jan 17th 2002 4:53 pm

What ever you do, you'll need to load drivers. When I travelled in the US I would
edit my photos on a laptop and save the .jpg images of 480 by 320 resolution to
floppies which most library and cafe internet access points wouldn't mind. I wouldn't
count on libraries letting you load drivers for a usb device.

Steve

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Thijs Roes Jan 18th 2002 11:30 am

This will only work if you're in a small Internet Café. Libraries, big Internet Cafes
and such, usually have strict rules and a strippid Operating System.

Your best chance of succeeding is probably using floppies, although I would recommend
a USB device, so that you can use it later on.

Again: Look for small internet points, that's your best bet.

Thijs

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Ted Bell Jan 19th 2002 9:36 am

Hi Jan

Yes, you can load pictures from an Internet cafe, but...

I had the same idea on two international holidays (Fiji & London) last year (about 2
weeks each). I learnt a lot on the first trip and applied it on the second trip; they
were a LOT shorter than your trip, but the principles are the same.

My suggestions: 1 - At all times remember - THIS IS A HOLIDAY!!! Don't make yourself
a slave to a web diary - you can do that when you come back home. 2 - You'll need
drivers to load photos from your camera to the PC. It's not worth trying at an
internet cafe, particularly if you're moving around. In addition, bandwidth will most
likely be an issue. 3 - Yes, internet cafes will let you load stuff from a floppy. I
found that this is the best way to upload to the net. 4 - Take your own notebook
computer (beg, borrow or buy one) to down load your photos EVERY DAY from your
camera. Make it a habit. If you're lucky, you might even take a portable CD writer (I
borrowed one) to make backups every so often. In 2x2week holidays, I took 800 shots
and that's after I deleted the duds on the fly. OK not every one was an absolute gem,
but often it's the no-so-good ones that will bring back special memories. 5 - I
thought that I'd keep a web diary for family and friends at home (that's what I
started in Fiji), but after a short time (3 days) I found that I was spending as much
time at my PC as at the pool (not good!!). 6 - When we went to London, I choose a
"photo-of-the-day" and attached it to a descriptive e-mail to family and friends.
Some days I sent 2 e-mails if there was something special I wanted to cover. You can
choose and compress the photo on your own PC and copy it to a floppy to take to the
internet cafe. Actually, you can also draft your e-mail (in Notepad or Wordpad) on
your notebook too - saves more time. 7 - I used a yahoo e-mail account and created an
address list before I left home (you can add to it later-it just saves time while you
on the road). Hotmail is good too, but its "address book" feature isn't as good.

Hope that there's something helpful for you here.

Ted from Sydney

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Miguel Cruz Jan 26th 2002 5:07 pm

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I just dealt with this in the Netherlands, UK, Spain, and Morocco.

Only in the smaller places, principally in Morocco, though occasionally in Spain,
could I load drivers from a CD-ROM. Most of the more advanced places had software
locks to prevent that.

The flip side was that the smaller places had connections too slow to feasibly upload
1.5M image files (this is not likely to be an issue in the USA, as broadband
connections are very cheap here).

So the only situations that really worked for me were the fancier places that had
Windows XP installed, because it happens to include drivers that work with my
card reader.

None of the places had any problem with me plugging in to the USB port, though not
all places had them (or had them accessible, if the machines were locked into
position or inside cabinets). They also all made the floppy drive available, if you
can get such an adapter for your camera media.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world: http://travel.u.nu

Brian Jan 26th 2002 9:46 pm

peyej wrote:

>
    >
    >

I can only think of one Internet Cafe in Vatican City that would make it possible to
send pictures to your Provider. Maybe if you went to Mecca or hooked up with the Dali
Lama's server... My Provider usually responds to Prayer. But, I'll have to give it a
try getting in touch with Him via the 'net. <g>

--
Brian M. Kochera "Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!"
---
Email: mailto:[email protected] View My Web Page:
http://home.earthlink.net/~brian1951

To Reply, Edit "" from my email address.
----

Netguy Jan 26th 2002 10:36 pm

[usenetquote2]> > My wife and i are planning a 5 month trip to the USA. We are thinking about[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > buying a digital camera and to maintain a home page.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Now my questions is, if it's possible to go to a internet cafe and upload the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > pictures to our Provider.[/usenetquote2]

There are various places in the US, Kinkos comes to mind, but perhaps other office
supply stores that you can go to and they will burn your pics to cd-rom. Perhaps this
would help?