British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Update on life in North Carolina. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/update-life-north-carolina-906945/)

elizabethsmum Dec 18th 2017 1:57 am

Update on life in North Carolina.

Hi all, I have not been about much life is pretty amazing apart from missing the NHS when I got an ear infection which cost me $300 without insurance 🤤. Apart from that we are loving life! And looking forward to our first Christmas back.

The weather is great most days yes it does get chilly here in NC but nothing like the UK and it looks like we may hit 70 this week!There is always something going on like winter festivals and craft fairs.
We are 30 mins away from the beach and everyone is friendly.

Lots of religion but then I'm in the South so expected it.

We are all settled and I have found a great group of friends, my daughter is just finishing up her first semester in High school and she has also found some great friends. My son has a job as does my hubby, we bought a car and are trying to build credit.

I know some people get home sick but I've been here for nearly 5 months and so far so good! My sister sent me over some British foods etc but apart from missing a few foods we are living it here. Social media makes things much easier to keep in touch.

So my question is what do you love about where you live?
Do you get home sick and if so is that for things, people or just England in general.

I came here knowing the big picture and I know the streets of America are not paved in gold and once you start working life becomes life but I'm enjoying exploring on my days off!

Merry Christmas all x

quiltman Dec 18th 2017 3:53 am

Re: Update on life in North Carolina.

Thanks for the update elizabethsmum. Nice of you to take the time and pleased life in NC seems to be suiting you!

tom169 Dec 18th 2017 10:18 am

Good to see you checking in. Glad things are working out for you and the family!

KK85 Dec 18th 2017 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by elizabethsmum (Post 12401318)
... we are loving life!
So my question is what do you love about where you live?
Do you get home sick and if so is that for things, people or just England in general.

This is such a lovely post! How wonderful to hear that you've settled in so well - I've noticed that we so often hear the horror/sad stories, so it's gorgeous to read a positive one.

I'm newer to the USA than you (I've been here for a month and a day) but so far my favourite things about where I live are the Midtown Scholar bookstore (a massive, used book store in midtown Harrisburg - it doubles as a coffee shop and hosts readings and open mic nights and all sorts - wonderful place, especially for a writer and newbie English graduate like me), the enormous Broad Street Market directly opposite the book shop, the occasional, surreal pangs of "I live here now!", which still come as such a novelty and make me feel very lucky indeed, and my husband's enormous coffee maker thing. Waking up and brewing some coffee to drink with my husband when he comes home from a night shift is absolutely the favourite part of my day. (That sounds quite naff. :rofl: I'm still looking for work!)

I haven't felt overly homesick yet either. I did get a tiny bit tearful the other day when my almost-three-year-old, UK-based nephew sent a voice clip to my dad in our family WhatsApp group, asking if Grandpa would come to his birthday party. His birthday is on the 23rd and he is the biggest love of my life, and I am sad to miss the first of what will likely be many missed birthday parties, but I signed up for all this, I know. And so I'm trying not to be a giant baby about it. We'll have a great big Skype and I'm sure that'll soften the blow. You're absolutely correct in saying that social media makes this so much easier!

Merry Christmas to you and your family! I hope 2018 continues to bring you such happiness and contentment where you are. :)

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 18th 2017 11:20 pm

I have heard North Carolina is wonderful, sadly have not had the opportunity to visit it.

robtuck Dec 19th 2017 12:20 pm

Great to hear a good news story - oddly enough, I am pretty sure most people come here with the intent to improve their life somehow, experience something different. I spent 41 years living in the same Town in England!

15 months into our journey, and it is a journey, I'm still pinching myself. It's like every day is a holiday - and yes, I am working full time, even that is fun and it is the same company doing the same role. It's just everything is a little different, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way, but always different and that keeps me interested.

I'd be lying if I said the weather wasn't a big bonus as well, although the four hours of snow last week was fun.

In our first 15 months we have stepped into 6 different States so far, from Wisconsin to Florida.

I wasn't sure if Skype would be our friend or make things worse, but it's been a godsend keeping the kids in touch with their grand parents and Uncle. We have just sold our house in the UK, the parents are due over in 3 days and again in May for Graduation, before we go back for 4 weeks in late June. We'll end up seeing each other for more actual full days, and we lived within 5 miles of each other before!

Much of that I think boils down to how you view it all - even changing the HVAC filter remains a novelty - we need AC :-)

viitav Dec 21st 2017 8:35 pm

Hey! Glad all is well for you guys and you aren't homesick!

I've been in NYC for nearly 2 months and so far so good! Horrendous when looking for apartments as so many scamming realtors however now all settled & back to work (transferred to our Wall Street office).

I have moments of feeling like OMG I live in NYC! lol.. But as you its now everyday life.
Feels weird having Xmas here and not seeing my mum on boxing day (and missing a long Xmas break!) but embracing our new life.

Have a great Xmas!!

SueZ_1 Dec 28th 2017 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12401833)
I have heard North Carolina is wonderful

You heard wrong. It's a place stuck in the 1800's in so many ways. It's also completely red politically, which says everything.

tom169 Dec 28th 2017 1:43 am

Originally Posted by SueZ_1 (Post 12405940)
You heard wrong. It's a place stuck in the 1800's in so many ways. It's also completely red politically, which says everything.

Please share your experiences of NC. :)

SueZ_1 Dec 28th 2017 1:58 am

Do you really need it explaining? I would hope not.

tom169 Dec 28th 2017 2:05 am

Originally Posted by SueZ_1 (Post 12405956)
Do you really need it explaining? I would hope not.

You seem to have quite the loud opinion. Might be worth it. :nod:

SueZ_1 Dec 28th 2017 2:12 am

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12405957)
You seem to have quite the loud opinion. Might be worth it. :nod:

Should we start with the open hostility in law to the LGBT community? Or should we talk about the hostile racial divide that engulfes both Carolinas?

tom169 Dec 28th 2017 2:14 am

Originally Posted by SueZ_1 (Post 12405960)
Should we start with the open hostility in law to the LGBT community? Or should we talk about the hostile racial divide that engulfes both Carolinas?

More interested if this is what you read in certain media outlets or if it's what you experience as a North Carolinian resident and expert? :unsure:

SueZ_1 Dec 28th 2017 2:27 am

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12405961)
More interested if this is what you read in certain media outlets or if it's what you experience as a North Carolinian resident and expert? :unsure:

I didn't experience the holocaust, yet I'm not ignorant enough to deny it.

Do you follow yet?

tom169 Dec 28th 2017 2:38 am

Originally Posted by SueZ_1 (Post 12405963)
I didn't experience the holocaust, yet I'm not ignorant enough to deny it.

Do you follow yet?

No, I don't compare the absolute travesty of the holocaust or the ridiculous nature of holocaust denial to what you wrote about some view of North Carolina.

You appear to be newly signed up and spouting off in threads seemingly up for a fight.

May I suggest a simple post in the welcome inn introducing yourself.

I assume based on your response you aren't an NC resident.