Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Up to 70 people killed in explosion in Texas

Up to 70 people killed in explosion in Texas

Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:12 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Up to 70 people killed in explosion in Texas

A number of people have been killed and hundreds injured after an explosion at a fertiliser plant in Texas.

The blast happened in West, near Waco. More than half of the town has been evacuated.

It was so powerful a nearby block of flats was destroyed and a number of residents of a local nursing home were injured.

As many as 75 homes were damaged by the blast as well as a local school.

A number of people are also suffering from "respiratory distress due to chemical inhalation".

Officials have said firefighters have stopped trying to tackle the blaze as there are fears of another explosion.

The explosion happened shortly before 8pm local time on Wednesday and could be heard as far away as 45 miles.

Tommy Muska, West's mayor, said a number of firefighters are unaccounted for.

Texas Governor Rick Perry said: "Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of West, and the first responders on the scene."

Debby Marak told The Associated Press she noticed a lot of smoke coming from the area across town near the plant, which is near a nursing home.

She said she drove over to see what was happening, and when she got out of her car two boys ran towards her screaming that officials told them to leave because the plant was going to explode.

Moments later the blast happened.

"It was like being in a tornado," the 58-year-old said. "Stuff was flying everywhere. It blew out my windshield.

"It was like the whole earth shook."

Police officers have reportedly been transporting the injured to local hospitals in their patrol cars.

As many as a dozen helicopters have been sent to the West High School stadium where ambulances are waiting to transport victims to hospitals.

Glenn Robinson, chief executive of Hillcrest Baptist Medical Centre, in Waco, told CNN his hospital had received 66 injured people for treatment, including 38 who were seriously hurt.

He said the injuries included blast injuries, orthopedic injuries, large wounds and a lot of lacerations and cuts.

American Red Cross crews from across Texas are being sent to the site.

The explosion comes on the eve of the 20th anniversary of the Waco siege - a deadly confrontation between federal authorities and heavily armed locals.
My God

Thoughts to everyone affected, it never rains but it pours
Old Apr 18th 2013, 6:18 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Up to 70 people killed in explosion in Texas

Very sad indeed. Thoughts are with anyone involved.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 7:11 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Sad news. West is a nice little place as well. Lots of Czech heritage.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:23 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

News now reporting 5-15 deaths. Terrible, but alot better than the initial 'up to 70' reports.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 11:19 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

A friend in Northampton was so worried about me in Texas, but the explosion is so far west of me I'd literally fly there if I had to go. Yes, everyone is hearing "60-70" killed, but that is probably a misreport of the number of people initially reported hurt on the scene. The Houston Chronicle http://www.chron.com was reporting that the factory was known to be lax about safety and reporting. Nobody is reporting this as any sort of terrorist activity.

It's terrible about the apartment complex that was gravely damaged; initial pictures are so distressing. Offers of help from nearby Waco city are pouring in, and everyone's on scene. My heart goes out to the injured and families of the dead.

I was reading about it last night before I went to bed. No wonder I had a dream about walking with my husband in his village in Northern Ireland and hearing an explosion. Our thoughts fly to the ones we love when a disaster happens. I'm sure I have no other reason to dream about the Troubles.

Last edited by Speedwell; Apr 18th 2013 at 11:23 am.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:09 pm
Often not so civil...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...her-child.html

Video of the actual explosion, no surprise it destroyed such a large area.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:30 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant View Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...her-child.html

Video of the actual explosion, no surprise it destroyed such a large area.
Area now being treated as a 'crime scene'. In the light of the fact it's the 18th anniversary of the Waco disaster that's no surprize.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:35 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Area now being treated as a 'crime scene'. In the light of the fact it's the 18th anniversary of the Waco disaster that's no surprize.
No, not a surprise. May still be a coincidence though; the real crime might have been the laxity in safety and proper controls on site.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:34 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Rescue efforts are still ongoing to try and find people in the rubble. So sad.

Some reports of looting as well.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:42 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
A crime scene? Surely it was a result of potentially explosive chemicals and human error that caused the explosion.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:52 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
A crime scene? Surely it was a result of potentially explosive chemicals and human error that caused the explosion.
Probably, but until they know that for sure it's best to treat it as a crime scene so no potential evidence is lost. Makes sense.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:52 pm
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
They always treat them as crime scenes until they can reasonably rule out a crime. Routine.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:57 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof View Post
Probably, but until they know that for sure it's best to treat it as a crime scene so no potential evidence is lost. Makes sense.
OK.

Rather cynical of me to dismiss it as a knee jerk response, I suppose. Sign of the times, that ...