Reload this Page >

Unpaid parking fines and a court date

Unpaid parking fines and a court date

Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

tilley7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unpaid parking fines and a court date

hi Guys,

I live in the States and I have a friend who wants to come and visit me but he is wooried has he lived in the states for three years and built up $2000 worth of parking tickets that he didn't pay and was meant to go for court for speeding but was already back in his home country. Will he have a problem traveling here who do you think he will be ok. He left the states almost 4 years ago. Will he still face problems.

Any advice would be appreciated

thanks
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:06 am
Just Joined

spiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to allspiderv6 is a name known to all
Default Re: Unpaid parking fines and a court date

Originally Posted by tilley7
hi Guys,

I live in the States and I have a friend who wants to come and visit me but he is wooried has he lived in the states for three years and built up $2000 worth of parking tickets that he didn't pay and was meant to go for court for speeding but was already back in his home country. Will he have a problem traveling here who do you think he will be ok. He left the states almost 4 years ago. Will he still face problems.

Any advice would be appreciated

thanks
There seems to be no end to these kind of questions these days.

Simple answer is that there has to be (at best) a 50/50 chance that he will have a problem. If a warrant for his arrest was issued (and if he didn't turn up at court when ordered to do so I would have to assume there was) then there is a good chance he will be detained.

His issue is going to be that there is no way of knowing until he turns up at the border (probably sweating profusely and looking very nervous at this point). Personally I see it as a big risk.

If he gets across the border, he has to then hope he isn't stopped by the police at any time (e.g., a simple traffic stop) cos at that point it is cuffs and a cosy cell for the night. For sure the cops will have him flagged on the system.

His only real option is to contact a lawyer and take care of his responsibities. Thats going to be expensive and painful.

My opinion only. Seek professional advice.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unpaid parking fines and a court date

There isn't any federal database for parking/speeding citations so it would be highly unlikely that he would be stopped at the border. If he is not going to the state that the parking/speeding citations were given, again it is unlikely that he would be arrested since parking/speeding citations are not an extraditable offence between states.