Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unpaid internships

Unpaid internships

Old Jan 19th 2006, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Lostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant future
Default Unpaid internships

Just wondering before I send out letters to companies in case people have experience, but what is the probability of being offered an unpaid internship while I wait for my EAD, will any compnay actually take me on? Thanks!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Unpaid internships

Originally Posted by Lostman
Just wondering before I send out letters to companies in case people have experience, but what is the probability of being offered an unpaid internship while I wait for my EAD, will any compnay actually take me on? Thanks!
Correct me if im wrong but I thought you cant even do voluntary work without work auth?
Old Jan 19th 2006, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Correct me if im wrong but I thought you cant even do voluntary work without work auth?
You can do voluntary work if it is of a type that would not be paid.

I doubt if most internships would fall into this category.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Boiler
You can do voluntary work if it is of a type that would not be paid.

I doubt if most internships would fall into this category.
Thats what I meant as in you cant work voluntarily for an otherwise paid position
Old Jan 19th 2006, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Lostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant futureLostman has a brilliant future

I called up USCIS although as we all pretty much know, different officials have given me different answers, but the last one said, I could do anything I wanted as long as I was not getting paid.........Do you reckon she was one of those (don't have a clue people that seem to dominate USCIS phonelines)

I just don't want to waste my time sending out letters to companies if I won't be able to do an unpaid internship.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

I called up USCIS although as we all pretty much know, different officials have given me different answers, but the last one said, I could do anything I wanted as long as I was not getting paid.........Do you reckon she was one of those (don't have a clue people that seem to dominate USCIS phonelines)

I just don't want to waste my time sending out letters to companies if I won't be able to do an unpaid internship.
Paid contractors, or maybe doing an internship.

They would need work authorisation, but not knowledge.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:26 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If you call up the 1-800 USCIS number, you speak in first instance to the staff of a contracted servicing company who, together with official USCIS staff, have no obligation to give you a correct answer. Pay no heed to what they say.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 12:09 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

If you are entitled to study in the US, and your internship is to be included as college credits/experience to be included in your college stuff then you can do an internship.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 12:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ben
If you are entitled to study in the US, and your internship is to be included as college credits/experience to be included in your college stuff then you can do an internship.
OP is a K1
Old Jan 20th 2006, 1:13 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
OP is a K1
I have no idea which visas allow you to do what. I know I could study but couldn't work when we first came over here.