British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Unpaid internships (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/unpaid-internships-349423/)

Lostman Jan 19th 2006 10:19 pm

Unpaid internships

Just wondering before I send out letters to companies in case people have experience, but what is the probability of being offered an unpaid internship while I wait for my EAD, will any compnay actually take me on? Thanks!

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 19th 2006 10:46 pm

Re: Unpaid internships

Originally Posted by Lostman
Just wondering before I send out letters to companies in case people have experience, but what is the probability of being offered an unpaid internship while I wait for my EAD, will any compnay actually take me on? Thanks!

Correct me if im wrong but I thought you cant even do voluntary work without work auth?

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 19th 2006 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Correct me if im wrong but I thought you cant even do voluntary work without work auth?

You can do voluntary work if it is of a type that would not be paid.

I doubt if most internships would fall into this category.

Angry White Pyjamas Jan 19th 2006 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
You can do voluntary work if it is of a type that would not be paid.

I doubt if most internships would fall into this category.

Thats what I meant as in you cant work voluntarily for an otherwise paid position

Lostman Jan 19th 2006 10:54 pm

I called up USCIS although as we all pretty much know, different officials have given me different answers, but the last one said, I could do anything I wanted as long as I was not getting paid.........Do you reckon she was one of those (don't have a clue people that seem to dominate USCIS phonelines)

I just don't want to waste my time sending out letters to companies if I won't be able to do an unpaid internship.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 19th 2006 11:15 pm

I called up USCIS although as we all pretty much know, different officials have given me different answers, but the last one said, I could do anything I wanted as long as I was not getting paid.........Do you reckon she was one of those (don't have a clue people that seem to dominate USCIS phonelines)

I just don't want to waste my time sending out letters to companies if I won't be able to do an unpaid internship.

Paid contractors, or maybe doing an internship.

They would need work authorisation, but not knowledge.

fatbrit Jan 19th 2006 11:26 pm

If you call up the 1-800 USCIS number, you speak in first instance to the staff of a contracted servicing company who, together with official USCIS staff, have no obligation to give you a correct answer. Pay no heed to what they say.

Ben Jan 20th 2006 12:09 am

If you are entitled to study in the US, and your internship is to be included as college credits/experience to be included in your college stuff then you can do an internship.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 20th 2006 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Ben
If you are entitled to study in the US, and your internship is to be included as college credits/experience to be included in your college stuff then you can do an internship.

OP is a K1

Ben Jan 20th 2006 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
OP is a K1

I have no idea which visas allow you to do what. I know I could study but couldn't work when we first came over here. :)