Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unoccupied UK home insurance - HELP!

Unoccupied UK home insurance - HELP!

Old Oct 22nd 2009, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

rkstacey is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Unoccupied UK home insurance - HELP!

Has anyone left their house in the UK unoccupied? What did you do about insurance? We're coming to the US for long enough that our home insurance will be invalid, but not so long that it's worth renting our house out! But I can't seem to find a company willing to insure our home while we're in the US! Anyone got any advice?

We're leaving in 2 weeks and this is really causing me a headache!

Thanks

Rachel
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 5:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unoccupied UK home insurance - HELP!

Originally Posted by rkstacey
Has anyone left their house in the UK unoccupied? What did you do about insurance? We're coming to the US for long enough that our home insurance will be invalid, but not so long that it's worth renting our house out! But I can't seem to find a company willing to insure our home while we're in the US! Anyone got any advice?

Thanks

Rachel
I couldn't find an insurance company that would insure a property if it was unoccupied for more than 30 days. I got around that because my sister lives next door and she pops into my house most days. It is written into the policy she will visit the house at least once every 30 days. I also had an alarm installed linked to a security company.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I couldn't find an insurance company that would insure a property if it was unoccupied for more than 30 days. I got around that because my sister lives next door and she pops into my house most days. It is written into the policy she will visit the house at least once every 30 days. I also had an alarm installed linked to a security company.
Thanks for your reply. We could do something like that with our next door neighbour - what insurance company do you use, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply. We could do something like that with our next door neighbour - what insurance company do you use, if you don't mind me asking?
Sorry I must have the documents in the UK...I think it was Direct Line but can't say for sure.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Unoccupied UK home insurance - HELP!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sorry I must have the documents in the UK...I think it was Direct Line but can't say for sure.
Thanks for your help
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:23 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Rachel
Adrian Flux advertise that they do this. I've used them for car insurance never for home so can't comment as to if it is any good.

http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/unoccupied-homes/
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any friends or family who could house sit for you?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 11:14 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Rachel
Some insurers will continue the existing policy, up to the end of the 12 month period. So, if you renewed recently, you might be OK.

Oddly, when I told our insurers we were moving, they refused and said that they would cancel the policy and refund the rest of the premium after 45 days. It's been several months, now and no refund has shown up. So I'm assuming we're still covered...