British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   unlocked a UK mobile & used in the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/unlocked-uk-mobile-used-us-258886/)

meauxna Oct 7th 2004 6:58 pm

unlocked a UK mobile & used in the US?

OK, before I get my blood pressure up too much, may as well ask here. I've read the previous discussions, done a little research and still need it distilled to the simple question:

Has anyone here brought a UK mobile over, unlocked it and purchased a US network SIM and been successful?

We have an old Nokia 5110 that is listed as 'able to be unlocked' according to all the sites. Neither spouse nor self have a lot of use for mobiles, but I'll be doing some regular distance commuting and it would be handy for *occasional* use. A pal tells me about unlocking and I've spent my morning learning more than I cared to about it.

(grrr...don't get me started on the rates and idjit rules for pay as you go... I'll work that out next)

Basically, I do not want to buy a phone (have a used one that will dial 911 in the worst case) but if we can make this Nokia work, well, dandy. If not, I'm still not buying a new phone.

The only weirdness (maybe) with it is that while it was originally a UK phone, the SIM card is Greek, so I don't know what the 'locked' network might be, or if that matters.

Anyone? :)

mattbutt Oct 7th 2004 7:08 pm

Re: unlocked a UK mobile & used in the US?

Originally Posted by meauxna
OK, before I get my blood pressure up too much, may as well ask here. I've read the previous discussions, done a little research and still need it distilled to the simple question:

Has anyone here brought a UK mobile over, unlocked it and purchased a US network SIM and been successful?

We have an old Nokia 5110 that is listed as 'able to be unlocked' according to all the sites. Neither spouse nor self have a lot of use for mobiles, but I'll be doing some regular distance commuting and it would be handy for *occasional* use. A pal tells me about unlocking and I've spent my morning learning more than I cared to about it.

(grrr...don't get me started on the rates and idjit rules for pay as you go... I'll work that out next)

Basically, I do not want to buy a phone (have a used one that will dial 911 in the worst case) but if we can make this Nokia work, well, dandy. If not, I'm still not buying a new phone.

The only weirdness (maybe) with it is that while it was originally a UK phone, the SIM card is Greek, so I don't know what the 'locked' network might be, or if that matters.

Anyone? :)

I have a sony ericsson T600? and have had a T68i on Vodafone in the UK and didnt do anything in the US to it and have been able to use a Verizon and T Mobile Sim card in it no problems.

Just spoke to colleage who says she has a Nokia 6210 and had to have it unlocked but she has used virgin and Vodafone in the UK and T Moblie and Verizon here.

Alot of phones in the US dont even use sim cards though so you will have to check with whatever network, also some networks are really funny about credit and want huge deposits upfront, so shop around and check what coveage is like in the area you are in. Ive been on Verizon and T Mobile all over the NYC Tri state area and Coverage is varied on both networks, though Verizon seems to be the better of the two. Oh another thing make sure its a tri band phone otherwise its useless anyway!

BritGuyTN Oct 7th 2004 7:24 pm

using a Uk mobile is not an issue - as long as its tri-band

the 5110 isn't - so you are SOL

sorry :o

I use my Uk sony erisson p800 and i used to use my uk ericsson t68 with no issues - in fact with better resuts than most of my friends

Its possible that you 5110 is not even locked - typically when the 5110 was popuar only orange locked their phones - voda/cellnet etc didn't

pedro66 Oct 8th 2004 12:38 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
using a Uk mobile is not an issue - as long as its tri-band

the 5110 isn't - so you are SOL

sorry :o

I use my Uk sony erisson p800 and i used to use my uk ericsson t68 with no issues - in fact with better resuts than most of my friends

Its possible that you 5110 is not even locked - typically when the 5110 was popuar only orange locked their phones - voda/cellnet etc didn't

Hi

Sorry to say that even if the phone is unlocked it will not work in the US as it is a single band phone i.e. GSM 900

All of the other phones mentioned in this thread are Tri-Band and which is the requiremnt for UK phones to work in the US.

If you are looking for a alternative could I suggest you buy a pay as you go tri-band Nokia in the UK (Tesco is cheap) then unlock it or get one in the US

Mad Max7 Oct 8th 2004 10:17 pm

Don't get me started on this one!!! I bought a new tri-band as I wanted one to work here as well as the UK. I was sold it saying I could unlock it etc. I ended up just buying a new phone here!! The natives looked at me as if I was talking a new language when I told them I just needed a new sim card.

CaliforniaBride Oct 8th 2004 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mad Max7
Don't get me started on this one!!! I bought a new tri-band as I wanted one to work here as well as the UK. I was sold it saying I could unlock it etc. I ended up just buying a new phone here!! The natives looked at me as if I was talking a new language when I told them I just needed a new sim card.

Best to buy a tri-band phone here and use it in the UK. I bought my Sony Ericsson tri-band here, unlocked (they knew what that mean't when I asked). Then when I go to the Uk I just change the sim card over to an old pay as you go sim card I had from a while back. It's really convenient as I get to use the phone I am familiar with and my mobile number in the UK is always the same so everyone who has can always get in touch.

Only downside is that I spend a fortune on top up cards while I'm there as getting in touch seems more important than cost.

meauxna Oct 9th 2004 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by pedro66
Sorry to say that even if the phone is unlocked it will not work in the US as it is a single band phone i.e. GSM 900

Thanks all, for the ideas and finally the definative answer! I figured this phone has to be way too old for this to work. What do you want to be we'll end up buying a phone now that the subject has come up? :rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone :)