Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unlicensed driver moving to US

Unlicensed driver moving to US

Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:46 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unlicensed driver moving to US

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I'm guessing here, but he says he hasn't had a car or driven for 3-years. It's not as though they take away your license if you don't use it...

No judgement at all, but I assume his license was revoked after an altercation with the law...
Either that or he/she was driving without one..
Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulham
I am currently not licensed in the UK.
Bit of a leap perhaps, but the above suggests he/she was licensed at some point. But who knows!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough - a little more info on the most likely scenario. Moving to the Washington DC area in a year. I am currently not licensed in the UK. Will I be stuck hitching rides around the DC area for a month or so until I have a permanent address?
Every Sate has their own driving regulations, so "Washington DC area" isn't enough to get you an answer, as several states and the DC are involved.
Most states require some evidence of your local residence to issue a license--they are used for much more than driving here.

What visa are you using to come to the US? That matters too.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I live in London and haven't had a car or driven in 3 years. I will be relocating soon to the US, but am still unclear exactly where I will be living. During my job search in the US I will likely need to drive a car at some point. Any advice on getting a temporary license of some type in the US? Which state(s) could this work in? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
Job search? Are you a USC...married to a USC...got a visa? If not you can't come here and search for a job.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Job search? Are you a USC...married to a USC...got a visa? If not you can't come here and search for a job.
If you want to nitpick, you can job search on the VWP but you can't accept employment and you generally can not get a driver's license.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:11 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I never had a full British driving licence but this didn't make a difference once I moved to the US. My spouse (USC) and I both had to take the test except I did all three parts including the practical. Even if you work in DC and commute by public transport from wherever you live (even neighboring states), if I were you, I'd get a driver's license from whichever state you live in.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

So you've not driven in three years?? I wouldn't worry, you'll still be better than most people on US roads!

Anyhoo... When I moved over here, I decided that I would take a number of driving lessons to get used to driving on the right and the differences between US and UK rules of the road.

Those five lessons were the best things I did to get me going on the roads over here as there were a number of things which I would have never thought of after driving in England which would be laws to driving over here.

Aside from that, the hoops which you will need to jump through to get a US license vary from state to state, so best figure out where you're going to end up and look up the DMV for that state.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:27 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unlicensed driver moving to US...

... nothing new, fit right in.