Reload this Page >

University (in the UK)

University (in the UK)

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

tweakr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default University (in the UK)

Hey everyone,

I'm probably one of the younger people that reads these forums (nearly 17), please allow me to explain my situation.

Moving to the USA is something I'd really like to do, not because of the usual "kid likes American TV stereotypes and wants to be there" scenario, from visits to New York and from what other people around these forums say, I genuinely do love most aspects of the American way of life (especially the optimism they seem to have) and feel a lot happier there.

Of course these are early days yet, I'm just finishing High School here in Glasgow and will soon be applying for University (in the British English sense of the word) courses. Obviously keeping within my interests is something I intend to do, but can anyone here tell me if there are any particular courses that would make me more attractive to US employers? Would American Studies, for example, be beneficial or do I totally have the wrong idea?

Thanks for reading!
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

swingin scot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: University (in the UK)

Hi there,
I was pretty much in the same situation when I was finishing up high school. I REALLY wanted to come over to America and ended up taking 2 years out to work 2 jobs to save money, and then applied directly to US universities on a student visa ... so that is one option, although it can definately get pricey and then you still have to worry about what to do once you graduate. You get a years grace period, called the "practical training year" and then you either have to go back to school or get sponsored by an American employer.
Another route might be to enroll in university in the UK and then do a year out in the states. As far as subjects ... the only things that might help are skills in great demand such as nursing, or IT (not so sure about that one anymore though since it seems there are tonnes of people who do it). Basically something in short supply gives you a decent chance. They make it really tough but there are ways to go about it and it's good you're thinking about it now. Just remember if there's a will there's a way ... when I started talking about it 8 years ago everyone told me I was nuts but now my life is over here. Good luck with everything, lemme know if you have any other questions

Originally posted by Lyris
Hey everyone,

I'm probably one of the younger people that reads these forums (nearly 17), please allow me to explain my situation.

Moving to the USA is something I'd really like to do, not because of the usual "kid likes American TV stereotypes and wants to be there" scenario, from visits to New York and from what other people around these forums say, I genuinely do love most aspects of the American way of life (especially the optimism they seem to have) and feel a lot happier there.

Of course these are early days yet, I'm just finishing High School here in Glasgow and will soon be applying for University (in the British English sense of the word) courses. Obviously keeping within my interests is something I intend to do, but can anyone here tell me if there are any particular courses that would make me more attractive to US employers? Would American Studies, for example, be beneficial or do I totally have the wrong idea?

Thanks for reading!
Old Sep 24th 2003, 12:07 am
Corpsicle

nathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the roughnathan barley is a jewel in the rough

I think, when you come to the US to study at Uni, that you are not allowed to work to support yourself, which is a bit odd.
If you don't have the oodles of cash, go to Uni in Britain studying towards what you want to establish a career in. American Studies won't matter a damn to the average employer unless you apply to museums and the like .

During your UK degree, if you work hard, you may be fortunate enough to be taken on by a multi-national or US based company during your work experience year. It's happened to a few friends of mine during their placement year, and the US company hired them when they graduated.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 12:26 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

When I left school and did A levels i wanted to go to American to work. I then studied Business got my degree and got a job with an anglo american company.

I was lucky and progressed quickly and managed to get a job over here in one of the US offices. (Im 23)

Though from reading other forums within this site the norm to work here is with a lot of experience in a particular skill having skills or knowledge that americans dont have and/or reaching a senior level within a company. Both can take a long time.

What a few of my friends have done is got their degree in the UK and then done a masters at a US uni. A masters is a shorter course than a typical degree and therefore the costs can (not always) be cheaper than a bachelors degree. One of them was lucky enough to be sponsered by the US uni. That then leaves you with the issue of how do you stay here when you finish!

Good luck with whatever you do.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

lins77 will become famous soon enough

Hi

I would try out a university exchange for a year at an American university - it was an option at my university for my course (Sheffield University - Economics & Politics). I did an exchange to Sweden for a semester, the USA was also an option for a year. I think that would give you a good stint at living over here to see how well you like it longer term.

I'd see if it's an option at the universities you're thinking of applying too and then go and see the relevant person as early as you can in your first year - I think at Sheffield you had to apply pretty early on.

Then, like as already been said, a job with a big mulitnational firm might be the way to go.

Lindsey
Old Sep 24th 2003, 2:26 am
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nathan barley
I think, when you come to the US to study at Uni, that you are not allowed to work to support yourself, which is a bit odd.
My understanding is that you can work on campus, but not in the wider community. There are loads of uni. courses with at least one year in the States, although you pay for it. A year as an impoverished student should give you a better idea as to whether this is indeed the place for you.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University (in the UK)

Originally posted by Lyris
Hey everyone,

Thanks for reading!
If you're interested in the medical field, nurses, docotors etc are in great demand still and (at the moment) the easiest way to get employment authorisation. Someone else has said it, but no American Studies will do nothing for you.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

tweakr is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright, I'll keep this in mind for when I'm in university, thanks a lot for all the responses!
Old Sep 24th 2003, 5:23 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

I would say study whatever you find interesting and enjoyable. Trying to determine the future, and earning qualifications to try fit a hypothetical future employer's requirements is a potentially limiting strategy. What if by the time you get your degree your life has changed to the point where you want to try somewhere other than the US?

The degree I got in England wasn't relevant in the slightest to what I do for a living in the US, nor has it really been an obstacle to gaining employment here. Having said this, I am married to an American and gained permanent residency in that way.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

swingin scot is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by JerseyBoy
My understanding is that you can work on campus, but not in the wider community. There are loads of uni. courses with at least one year in the States, although you pay for it. A year as an impoverished student should give you a better idea as to whether this is indeed the place for you.

Yeah, they only let you work 20 hours per week on the campus of the college you are enrolled in. You can work full time during school breaks. Also, you have to be enrolled in a minimum of 12 units per quarter so you are considered a full-time student. A tough break, but they're really strict about it unfortunately.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 9:09 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by swingin scot
Yeah, they only let you work 20 hours per week on the campus of the college you are enrolled in. You can work full time during school breaks. Also, you have to be enrolled in a minimum of 12 units per quarter so you are considered a full-time student. A tough break, but they're really strict about it unfortunately.
If you are a full-time student, you can't really afford to work more than 20 hours a week. That's why the regulation is there.

Too often I counsel students who are on academic probation because of failing grades. The number one reason why they are failing? They're trying to work full time as well as study full-time.

In response to the original query, I think the suggestion of doing an exchange is the best option, especially if you haven't been to the States, or aren't sure this is where you want to be. Until you live here, it's difficult to get a realistic picture (from a vacation in Orlando, for example). It woud be tough to go through all the work of getting into a US uni, start a 4-year degree at a US uni, and realize after a semester or two that you don't like it (also, at the undergraduate level, I think you'll get a better education in the U.K.)

Find a U.K. university that has a non-fee based exchange program with one or more US universities. That way, you just pay your fees at the U.K. university, rather than the US university (US fees are usually higher).

Be aware that most exchange agreements are with specific partner institutions in the US. So, if you really fancy studying in NY, make sure the U.K. uni has an exchange agreement with a uni in NY.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 4:50 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this site:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk

It has info on studying courses with placements overseas and future job prospects in the UK and abroad.