University.

Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University.

Originally Posted by Lifer

Edit:

I just looked into this website, and I'm not sure if this is entirely correct. It implies that you have to do an ACT and an SAT test to get into university, however no mention of any previous qualifications(transcripts)... Hmm

(www) savethestudent (.org) study-abroad/america/how-to-apply-for-american-universities.html
You don't need to do both, it's just that Colleges prefer one over the other, so check where you are applying for which one they want. It used to be that coastal regions preferred SAT and central regions the ACT but it's blending now.

You can do test papers online and you can also take the SAT multiple times and use your best score (paying for each sitting though).
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to clarify what you mean when you use the term "university".

In the US not all schools of higher education are universities. We have community colleges, private colleges, state universities, i.e. SUNY State University of New York, private universities such as Harvard or Yale or Princeton.

Each type of school will have its own criteria for entrance. Some are as little as a GED (general education diploma which can be obtained by those who did not graduate high school) while others will necessitate a SAT/PSAT high score to enroll. Some institutions will offer life experience credits towards your degree.

Yes, it is beneficial to have a degree in higher education to find employment which will pay well. What degree would you be pursuing? What specialty are you interested in? Will you need to work full or part time in order to help maintain a home for you and your spouse while you are attending school. Or will your spouse be gainfully employed and carry that burden alone while you pursue a 4 year degree? How much are you willing and/or capable of spending on tuition?

Lots, IMHO, to think about other than just getting a degree.

Last edited by Rete; Feb 7th 2018 at 4:07 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
You don't need to do both, it's just that Colleges prefer one over the other, so check where you are applying for which one they want. It used to be that coastal regions preferred SAT and central regions the ACT but it's blending now.

You can do test papers online and you can also take the SAT multiple times and use your best score (paying for each sitting though).
I'm not sure if this pertains to high school students only. It is definitely not a requirement for some private colleges or community colleges, at least not in my former State of New York and particularly for those attending the institution as an older student not a student fresh from high school. He really needs to decide on the type of degree he wants, what specialty is he going to pursue, what he can afford, whether he can take a full time student credit load (believe it is 120 credits for a Bachelor's Degree which usually take 4 years as a full time student and 60 credits for an Associate's Degree taking 2 years as a full time student). In my college days each class was 3 credits so 120 credits would equal 40 classes. 12 credits per semester is considered a full time student. If you went to school during the summer session you could conceivably earn 36 credits for one full year. Normal is 24 credits but some students will take an additional class each semester for 30 credits for the two school semesters.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:52 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Normal is 24 credits but some students will take an additional class each semester for 30 credits for the two school semesters.
Like my overachiever son, 6 for summer, 16 for fall and 15 in spring. =37
I swear he's trying to get out early.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

15 per semester is usually what students take. Four years eight semesters and you have 120 credits to graduate. I2 hours is technically full time but the minimum requiring summer school to graduate in four years. Many schools don't offer enough classes in summer sessions to make it work. In my nine years full time I never took less than 15 as I hated going to summer school.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 4:09 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by excpomea
Like my overachiever son, 6 for summer, 16 for fall and 15 in spring. =37
I swear he's trying to get out early.
I, too, took summer classes on top of carrying my 30 credits a year because I did want to get my degree in 4 years or under. As an adult with children and their sole support, it was super hard going but did it and very happy that I did.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm not sure if this pertains to high school students only. It is definitely not a requirement for some private colleges or community colleges, at least not in my former State of New York and particularly for those attending the institution as an older student not a student fresh from high school. He really needs to decide on the type of degree he wants, what specialty is he going to pursue, what he can afford, whether he can take a full time student credit load (believe it is 120 credits for a Bachelor's Degree which usually take 4 years as a full time student and 60 credits for an Associate's Degree taking 2 years as a full time student). In my college days each class was 3 credits so 120 credits would equal 40 classes. 12 credits per semester is considered a full time student. If you went to school during the summer session you could conceivably earn 36 credits for one full year. Normal is 24 credits but some students will take an additional class each semester for 30 credits for the two school semesters.
Was working off the assumption that at 22, post education experience will be minimal, given he stated he had completed an A Level that places a max of 4 years, maybe less given the BTEC is also noted.

You are right, the College system is much more diverse here, and unlike the UK which has a central application and clearing system, you do need to research the facilities entry requirements at a much more in depth level.