British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   University. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/university-908746/)

Lifer Feb 3rd 2018 10:45 am

University.

Hey.

I'm hoping this is in the right section, however I have come across something that I'm hoping someone else on here has gone through.

So hopefully by 2019 I should be in the USA via the fiance visa route.

I'm 22 and feel that I should've gone to uni much earlier in my life, however that's something I can't solve now. I left a BTEC halfway through, so I only have 1 A-Level equivalent of an A and I lack a GCSE in Maths (D).

Has anyone else gone to uni after moving to the USA. I assume as a green card holder, you aren't classed as an 'international' student. And my partner said that I'd have to do tests, but not a course?

If this would fail I have two other options which involve staying in the UK, but this would make a lot of complications (such as my partner having to come to the UK etc).

A unique circumstance, which I should hope someone on here has gone through, or knows about?

Thanks.

Noorah101 Feb 3rd 2018 11:17 am

Re: University.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to attend university once you are in the USA. You could even start out at community college.

As for entry requirements, look online at the community colleges and university in your fiance's area. The entry requirements should be there.

Rene

tom169 Feb 3rd 2018 1:31 pm

Universities will have in-state tuition fees and out of state fees.

You'll need to check residency requirements in your state. For example I think NC requires living here as a permanent resident for 1 year.

I'd recommend a 2 year community college and then transferring credits to a university. Do a lot of research and consult with counsellors to determine what credits you would need and make sure they transfer.

Rete Feb 3rd 2018 5:11 pm

No clue about A levels and GCSE's but if you are missing a passing grade in a class that will give you a high school diploma/certificate (if this is what is given when you graduate high school), can't you take the course now for that passing grade? After all you still have over a year before you get a K-1 visa to come to the US.

md95065 Feb 3rd 2018 5:27 pm

It's certainly possible and, initially at least, a Community College is probably the best place to start. Community Colleges will give you whatever additional classes you might need to qualify for entry to a University and, in many cases, you may be able to do the equivalent of the first year or two of University at a Community College and then transfer to a State University for the remainder of your course.

As already mentioned, there is typically a minimum residence period (often 1 year, sometimes more, seldom less) for you to qualify for "resident" tuition rates at a Community College. Even though you don't initially qualify for the lower rates you may find that it is still worth taking at least some classes during you first year - even the non-resident rates aren't usually too high and you can control the cost by choosing to take fewer classes initially.

Something that has not been mentioned is that both culturally and out of necessity (the number of jobs that require educational qualifications beyond high school) there is a very significant commitment to "life long learning" in the US and people almost never cease to take whatever opportunities are available to them to acquire more qualifications. As such you will not be in the least out of place as someone entering College or University in their 20's (or 30's or 40's or 50's for that matter) - people may (and probably will) be interested in the fact that you are continuing your education but nobody will be in the least bit surprised by it.

Good luck!

Lion in Winter Feb 3rd 2018 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lifer (Post 12433753)
Hey.

I'm hoping this is in the right section, however I have come across something that I'm hoping someone else on here has gone through.

So hopefully by 2019 I should be in the USA via the fiance visa route.

I'm 22 and feel that I should've gone to uni much earlier in my life, however that's something I can't solve now. I left a BTEC halfway through, so I only have 1 A-Level equivalent of an A and I lack a GCSE in Maths (D).

Has anyone else gone to uni after moving to the USA. I assume as a green card holder, you aren't classed as an 'international' student. And my partner said that I'd have to do tests, but not a course?

If this would fail I have two other options which involve staying in the UK, but this would make a lot of complications (such as my partner having to come to the UK etc).

A unique circumstance, which I should hope someone on here has gone through, or knows about?

Thanks.

It might also be worth taking the SAT and ACT tests, which high school students here typically take and so are understood by US colleges. They are largely but not exclusively multi-choice general English and maths questions and not nearly as demanding as A levels although you might want to brush up a bit on your maths if you haven't done any for a while. You can take them several times so if you don't do well at first you can try again.

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat

https://www.act.org

You can register for these as an individual, and there are a lot of books and online resources to help you prepare.

You might consider the GED

https://ged.com

And I just saw you may be in the Chicago area, in which case check out City Colleges and their entry requirements.

http://www.ccc.edu/Pages/default.aspx

ddsrph Feb 3rd 2018 5:57 pm

Your age will actually be an advantage and as previously mentioned a community college is the way to go. They go out of their way to help overcome any prior deficiency. Just research your final objective and make sure your choice of schools and courses are heading in right direction. Most universities have student health insurance plans that are very cheap.
One other thing to keep in mind is scholarships. There are many small obscure ones available that are there for the asking. I saw a recent article where a female student discovered this fact and ended up with 300,000 in scholarships. She went on to start a company providing counseling on how to apply for the hundreds if not thousands available.

robtuck Feb 5th 2018 2:47 pm

In some instances, only having GCSE's can be enough for College admission (to lesser Colleges), but having the A Level could provide a pathway in. Taking the SAT or ACT would probably help as well - despite not meeting the residency rules for Georgia, my daughter has been offered In State tuition rates following her GPA and SAT scores hitting a desired level.

The Math grade at D is probably closer to a C - you can get the grades translated, but a lot of Colleges will have a better understanding than the High School's would have done as they get International students every year. Essentially it wouldn't be seen in the same way you consider it in the UK, where everyone wants you to have Grade C or above.

As mentioned by others, Community College is a good route, where you can transfer credits after 2 years into the State Colleges. Some State Colleges will also have a two tier system, having a sort of feeder version like Community College but as an integral part. Students can then move across once hitting the required standards.

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 5th 2018 3:28 pm

You have a year to catch up, would look to see what you can do in that time to set you for when you move.

Lifer Feb 5th 2018 5:43 pm

Hello everyone,

Thank you all so much for your responses.

Doing SAT & ACT sounds more desirable but I need to do my own research now to see which is the best option for me now that I have a bit more information regarding the 'process'.

Thanks all once again :)

Rete Feb 5th 2018 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Lifer (Post 12435469)
Hello everyone,

Thank you all so much for your responses.

Doing SAT & ACT sounds more desirable but I need to do my own research now to see which is the best option for me now that I have a bit more information regarding the 'process'.

Thanks all once again :)

My advice is to take a few practice tests for the SAT and then decide if that is best for you. Since you have difficulties with Math, it might not be the best course for getting into college.

I enrolled in college when I was 27 and graduated when I was 31. I did not take the SAT or ACT but I did have a high school diploma as well as a regent's diploma which is awarded to those who have aced all the regent's classes throughout high school (back in the '60s)in New York State.

Also note that several people over the years on the forum have been able to get in-state tuition at their community colleges without having lived in state for the requirement amount of time simply by virtue of marriage to a USC and their new immigration status. The only thing that might hold you back on that is that as a K-1 recipient you will not be a legal permanent resident of the US for anywhere from 3 months to over one year from application after your marriage and filing for adjustment of status.

Lifer Feb 5th 2018 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12435629)
My advice is to take a few practice tests for the SAT and then decide if that is best for you. Since you have difficulties with Math, it might not be the best course for getting into college.

I enrolled in college when I was 27 and graduated when I was 31. I did not take the SAT or ACT but I did have a high school diploma as well as a regent's diploma which is awarded to those who have aced all the regent's classes throughout high school (back in the '60s)in New York State.

Also note that several people over the years on the forum have been able to get in-state tuition at their community colleges without having lived in state for the requirement amount of time simply by virtue of marriage to a USC and their new immigration status. The only thing that might hold you back on that is that as a K-1 recipient you will not be a legal permanent resident of the US for anywhere from 3 months to over one year from application after your marriage and filing for adjustment of status.

I'm not too focused on time as long as it's within the next 2 years or so.

As my options in the UK to do an access course and get into uni through that route would only last until I'm 24 as you then have to pay for the access course.

(I mean, I can always afford it I guess, but it's better to do things whilst they're free).

I'm going to look into the SAT tests, thank you

Edit:

I just looked into this website, and I'm not sure if this is entirely correct. It implies that you have to do an ACT and an SAT test to get into university, however no mention of any previous qualifications(transcripts)... Hmm

(www) savethestudent (.org) study-abroad/america/how-to-apply-for-american-universities.html

scottyvisa Feb 6th 2018 6:13 am

I attend a US University (some courses face to face and some online), my mediocre GCSE results were translated as equivalent of a US High School Diploma, so I was able to use that to meet the entry requirements without taking any other tests. Of course some universities might have higher entry requirements, but I'd imagine you'll be able to enroll in community college. Green Card holders can also apply for financial aid.

Lion in Winter Feb 6th 2018 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Lifer (Post 12435630)
I'm not too focused on time as long as it's within the next 2 years or so.

As my options in the UK to do an access course and get into uni through that route would only last until I'm 24 as you then have to pay for the access course.

(I mean, I can always afford it I guess, but it's better to do things whilst they're free).

I'm going to look into the SAT tests, thank you

Edit:

I just looked into this website, and I'm not sure if this is entirely correct. It implies that you have to do an ACT and an SAT test to get into university, however no mention of any previous qualifications(transcripts)... Hmm

(www) savethestudent (.org) study-abroad/america/how-to-apply-for-american-universities.html

Email some specific colleges, explain your situation, and ask. Colleges make their own rules, and as an international mature student (ie not just out of high school) there is likely to be even more flexibility. But you must contact them directly - general websites will not give you these answers.

For example, I went to uni here after working for a while. With three good A levels they let me skip a whole year and do my degree in 3. I also did the SAT, got a super high score in English and a super low one in maths, but for my degree they didn't care. Moral of story - email the individual uni.

excpomea Feb 6th 2018 12:58 pm

It's all been well covered.
You will at least need a High School diploma; your UK education may cover this.
It will cost you a few hundred to get it all transposed for US evaluation.
If not then you will need a GED, do a search.
Then the SAT or ACT will be of help. You can just do one, no need to do both.
As mentioned a community college for 2 years, then transfer to a full University.
Here in FL and I believe most states you need to be a resident for a year to qualify for in State tuition. $117 per credit hour as opposed to $350 per credit hour (Just estimates)

So, by the time you get to Uni you will be paying the lower rate.

Financial aid is a tricky one. I don't believe as an immigrant you cannot rely on government assistance, the University may help, you may be able to get some student loans.

Costs, my kid is in a State University FSU. His costs run about $6000 per semester, mostly covered by scholarships. So, 2 x 4 years = $48K. Then onto medical school :(