Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

United States v. Windsor

United States v. Windsor

Old Jun 26th 2013, 9:58 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: United States v. Windsor

Originally Posted by bwatson
My spouse and I are contemplating being one of the first to attempt this. We are Canadian citizens and have been married for 3 years, together for 8. I have sponsorship for a TN VISA, and my partner WAS going to get a B2-Cohabitating, but now the TD VISA seems much more appropriate. Also the B2 requires a waiting & processing time while the TD can be acquired at the port of entry (no time apart, yay!!)

We are worried though that they may somehow reject us with prejudice and are considering just sticking to the B2 to keep things simple. What do you guys think?
Go for it - and good luck!
Old Jun 26th 2013, 10:14 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps they should all be forced to watch this film.. I Do, from 2012, about an English gay man who is on a study visa has his request for PR turned down, and the convolutions he has to go through, before finally throwing in the towel and moving to Spain.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2102499/?ref_=sr_2
Old Jun 27th 2013, 2:36 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

At last..........
Old Jun 27th 2013, 3:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

We used to have the Right of Kings, now we have the Right of a couple of judges.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Cadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of lightCadenza-93 is a glorious beacon of light

Well.... My partner & I are at least closer to being together than before! There is, a chance, that we will be in the same country for longer than 90 days at a time!

We're going to meet with our attorney in the next few days.

Wish us luck & let you know what happens..
Old Jun 27th 2013, 4:51 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cadenza-93
Well.... My partner & I are at least closer to being together than before! There is, a chance, that we will be in the same country for longer than 90 days at a time!

Please do! I hope that the journey is smooth for you
Old Jun 27th 2013, 5:07 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cadenza-93

Please keep us posted. I have a family member in the same situation and I'm hoping she'll be able to take advantage of this too.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all

Today's statement from Janet Napolitano (head of USCIS via DHS)

"“I applaud today’s Supreme Court decision in United States v. Windsor holding that the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional. This discriminatory law denied thousands of legally married same-sex couples many important federal benefits, including immigration benefits. I am pleased the Court agreed with the Administration’s position that DOMA’s restrictions violate the Constitution. Working with our federal partners, including the Department of Justice, we will implement today's decision so that all married couples will be treated equally and fairly in the administration of our immigration laws." (link here )

Like many other federal agencies USCIS is now going to have to work out the implications of DOMA repeal. I imagine they will release public statements about same-sex marriage eligibility for immigration benefits in the near future.

Guardian has more here
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:15 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

My attorney's office just sent this notice to us:

[begin]
In light of this development, it is now possible for foreign nationals who entered into a legal same sex marriage to immediately seek and obtain any benefits accorded to spouses under the immigration laws. These include, but are not limited to, the following:

• Applying for a green card on the basis of marriage to a US citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident;

• Acquiring green card status as the spouse of an applicant seeking a green card in an employment-based category (or self sponsored category such as EB-1A or NIW);

• Obtaining derivative status as the spouse of a nonimmigrant in F, J, H, L, or any other category;

• Seeking various waivers and other exceptions that apply only to spouses of US citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:17 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

• Applying for a green card on the basis of marriage to a US citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident;
If an attorney dosent even discribe the process correctly, we really are lost!
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by civilservant
You will have to educate me on what is wrong with the above statement?

btw - not to be a pedant, but they can probably spell 'doesn't' and 'describe' correctly.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:24 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace

btw - not to be a pedant, but they can probably spell 'doesn't' and 'describe' correctly.
There's nothing wrong with the above statement, it has just been stated in the way it is most commonly expressed and understood. Not the way the pedantic souls on BE might like.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I think civilservant is wrong because he has forgotten that a greencard holder may be here for work and be married to a same sex partner in their home country yet the partner would not have previously been eligible for anything more than a B2.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it that people say 'not to be xxxx' right before they go ahead and do it anyway.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:28 pm
Banned

Why is it that people say 'not to be xxxx' right before they go ahead and do it anyway.
Because the other person talks shit before putting their own house in order, perhaps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.