Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

United Fit to Fly for Cats - What Did You Do?

United Fit to Fly for Cats - What Did You Do?

Old Aug 25th 2012, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

LilInIl will become famous soon enough
Default United Fit to Fly for Cats - What Did You Do?

We are flying to London on Wednesday, have all of the rabies paperwork ready to go so should have no problems with quarantine (fingers crossed!). At this point the problem is the fit to fly certificate. When I called United to ask if there was a specific form, they said the vet had to create something. When I asked what if should say, they couldn't tell me (although they did insist it had to be a form, not a letter).

The vet gave me the standard letter they always do, an acclimatization certificate, and of course the USDA health certificate that they had to do for the UK gov't. My guess is that the person at the call center didn't know what they were talking about and the standard letter is fine, but of course now I'm worried.

Have any of you flown pets on United recently, and what did you show them to prove the pets were certified fit to fly?

Thanks!
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: United Fit to Fly for Cats - What Did You Do?

Maybe call United again and see what they say this time. Explain that you have a letter from your vet but they dont have an official form for this kind of thing. I am looking at flying Virgin with my dog and they actually send you their own form to have completed by the vet.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: United Fit to Fly for Cats - What Did You Do?

Copied this from the DEFRA website for you. Hope it helps:

Fitness for travel

The transport company that you use to bring your pet into the UK may require you to provide a veterinary statement that it is healthy and fit to travel before they will allow it to board.

It is advised that before you bring your pet into the UK to check with the transport company if they need this statement and the form which it should take. It may be provided either by:

completion of section IX of the EU Pet Passport by a veterinarian confirming that ‘the animal is in good health and able to withstand carriage to its destination.’ or
a private statement from a veterinarian stating that: ‘On [date], I examined the animal described in EU Pet Passport/third country official veterinary certificate numbered [enter serial number] and found it to be free from clinical signs of infectious or contagious disease, including external parasites, and in my opinion, is fit to travel.’
Share this:
Email
Print

Page last modified: 16 January 2012

You may also be interested in:

Contact us