British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   United airlines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/united-airlines-770772/)

redarmy990 Sep 6th 2012 3:24 pm

United airlines

hi guys,
has anyone heard anything about the wasington dulles-manchester uk flights.

my parents came over last thursday on the flight and since monday there hasnt been a flight to or from either of the destinations.

has anyone heard if some flights have been cut. nothing on united website and my folks are due to fly back next week.

no contact from united at all.

thanks
dean h

Jerseygirl Sep 6th 2012 3:33 pm

Re: United airlines

Originally Posted by redarmy990 (Post 10267270)
hi guys,
has anyone heard anything about the wasington dulles-manchester uk flights.

my parents came over last thursday on the flight and since monday there hasnt been a flight to or from either of the destinations.

has anyone heard if some flights have been cut. nothing on united website and my folks are due to fly back next week.

no contact from united at all.

thanks
dean h

Have you called them to ask? I searched United's website for a flight next Thursday...from Wash Dulles to MAN and it offered 1 direct flight and several with a change at Newark or Germany.

I also looked at flights leaving last night and there was not a direct flight. Maybe if the direct flight is underbooked they change you to another flight.

redarmy990 Sep 6th 2012 3:38 pm

thanks its bringing up flights on thursdays and fridays

but it was a daily flight just a little confused,as to why

were going to call and just make sure there flight is fine.

SultanOfSwing Sep 6th 2012 3:52 pm

Did a quick check of the flight (flight number UAL100, if this matches the tickets) on Flight Aware. Quite weird as this is a daily flight but for some reason, the flight number was used for two internal flights (Chicago - Newark; Newark - Cleveland) on the 3rd and 4th this week.

Scheduled for today and tomorrow, though so probably good to go for next week.

Here is the link to this flight number so you can keep an eye on it.

Also, there may be a second flight number used, or a codeshare as well but it seems, at least at a glance, that it remains a daily service but for those two internal flights. Admin cock-up maybe?

lansbury Sep 6th 2012 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by redarmy990 (Post 10267295)

Let us know. I have reservations on that flight for later in the year. Having said that UA seem to be in a bit of a mess following the merger, and their cancellations and later arrivals are way higher than other airlines.

lansbury Sep 6th 2012 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10267323)

Scheduled for today and tomorrow, though so probably good to go for next week.

The 757 (#3111) flying the IAD - MAN flight tonight is currently in LAX. It should leave LAX at 10:16 operating a flight to IAD then the MAN flight tonight..

SultanOfSwing Sep 6th 2012 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10267337)
The 757 (#3111) flying the IAD - MAN flight tonight is currently in LAX. It should leave LAX at 10:16 operating a flight to IAD then the MAN flight tonight..

A busy aircraft :nod:

lansbury Sep 6th 2012 4:21 pm

I can't see the non stop IAD-MAN flight on a Tuesday or Wednesday in the timetable again until 15/16 Jan 2013.

SultanOfSwing Sep 6th 2012 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10267367)
I can't see the non stop IAD-MAN flight on a Tuesday or Wednesday in the timetable again until 15/16 Jan 2013.

Are there codeshares, perhaps?

Try searching a travel site for the date you are due to fly, to see if they are codesharing with another airline.

Jerseygirl Sep 6th 2012 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by redarmy990 (Post 10267295)

Best to do that IMO. It looks like they only run the direct flight on 'busy' days.

GeoffM Sep 6th 2012 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10267323)
Did a quick check of the flight (flight number UAL100, if this matches the tickets) on Flight Aware. Quite weird as this is a daily flight but for some reason, the flight number was used for two internal flights (Chicago - Newark; Newark - Cleveland) on the 3rd and 4th this week.

It's odd why they do that. I'm on a flight next week through Delta but on some other airline, Chavattack or something, and that flight doesn't come up on any flight tracking websites. Well, it does, but a completely different set of routes!

I remember Continental used to have a flight MSY-IAH-LGW, CO4 I think it was. But MSY-IAH was on a poncy 737, arrived at one terminal at IAH, and left as a shiny 777 from a different terminal. Also the reverse.

lansbury Sep 6th 2012 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10267376)
Are there codeshares, perhaps?

Try searching a travel site for the date you are due to fly, to see if they are codesharing with another airline.

Looked in UAs timetable. Five days a week until mid January. Looks like connect via the New York - MAN flight on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

SultanOfSwing Sep 6th 2012 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10267388)
It's odd why they do that. I'm on a flight next week through Delta but on some other airline, Chavattack or something, and that flight doesn't come up on any flight tracking websites. Well, it does, but a completely different set of routes!

I remember Continental used to have a flight MSY-IAH-LGW, CO4 I think it was. But MSY-IAH was on a poncy 737, arrived at one terminal at IAH, and left as a shiny 777 from a different terminal. Also the reverse.

They just tacked together a domestic flight and an international one by the looks of it. While (sadly) a 777 would never be used domestically these days, back in the 70s something like ORD-LAX would be a 747 or DC-10. Now it's an MD-80/737.

On the other end of the scale - can you imagine flying IAH-LGW on a 737 :eek:

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 10267399)
Looked in UAs timetable. Five days a week until mid January. Looks like connect via the New York - MAN flight on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Ah, OK - just not a direct flight every day, then. Got you now.

GeoffM Sep 6th 2012 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 10267406)
They just tacked together a domestic flight and an international one by the looks of it. While (sadly) a 777 would never be used domestically these days, back in the 70s something like ORD-LAX would be a 747 or DC-10. Now it's an MD-80/737.

On the other end of the scale - can you imagine flying IAH-LGW on a 737 :eek:

Yes, I just pity the poor passengers who thought they were on a direct flight to New Orleans (or to London from NO)! I'm not sure there was even time to connect from the international to the domestic flight anyway.

I'm on a 767 LAX-ATL next week, should be fun as it's been a while since going on a 767. Then a pocket rocket for the next leg. Anyway, waaay off topic, sorry OP!

SultanOfSwing Sep 6th 2012 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10267419)
Yes, I just pity the poor passengers who thought they were on a direct flight to New Orleans (or to London from NO)! I'm not sure there was even time to connect from the international to the domestic flight anyway.

I'm on a 767 LAX-ATL next week, should be fun as it's been a while since going on a 767. Then a pocket rocket for the next leg. Anyway, waaay off topic, sorry OP!

Some of those connections do leave it tight, don't they?

You're lucky to be getting the 767. Must be a busy route, I thought the only chance you'd have to fly a 767 internally was AA flight 1 (JFK-LAX). Yet they pack them into the single-aisled 757 on many of those eastern US - western UK routes :lol: