Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

United airlines

United airlines

Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: United airlines

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Best to do that IMO. It looks like they only run the direct flight on 'busy' days.
my parents fly out next thursday 1 week from today.
so they should be fine.

just confused as to why there knocking flights off without nothing on there website
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redarmy990
so they should be fine.

just confused as to why there knocking flights off without nothing on there website
According to UA's website, flight 100 is operating direct IAD-MAN next Thursday so you're all good ...
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

I just came back on that flight on Sunday evening. It does look like it has about four different codeshares.

The flight was fine - check in at LHR smooth and quick, security efficient, but US passport control took an age. Must have been a number of flights arriving at once. The flight attendants were less than welcoming - everything seemed to be too much trouble for them, and I didn't ask for anything outside of the normal offerings... they rocked up with the trolley, asked me if I wanted a drink, and then acted all put out when I asked for something they had to open a draw to find.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:31 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The flights are not in the timetable, so there wouldn't be anything on the web site. The flight now operates 5 days a week, until mid January.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

so they should be fine.

But are they? I suspect they only fly the direct route on busy days...on the quieter days you have to fly via Newark etc.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:07 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

But are they? I suspect they only fly the direct route on busy days...on the quieter days you have to fly via Newark etc.
If you're lucky. For the purpose of research, I did a random Tuesday flight on the UA website (chose Nov 13). That one has you connecting to Boston first, then Newark before going on to Manchester

So you can still fly IAD-MAN on other days, just not direct as you and lansbury have said.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The busy days have been 7 days a week. That flight goes out most days sold out or with just a handful of empty seats. Business first rarely has an empty seats, and hardly any upgrades.

The reason I know is because I have been watching it in order to get a mileage upgrade to business first on it. It's one of the hardest flights to get an upgrade on, unless you are a top tier frequent flyer on UA. I've just managed to get a swap from arriving at LHR to MAN on that flight from IAD for next May, and guess what it is a Tuesday flight. Hopefully it will go back to 7 days a week in January as the timetable shows.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
The busy days have been 7 days a week. That flight goes out most days sold out or with just a handful of empty seats. Business first rarely has an empty seats, and hardly any upgrades.

The reason I know is because I have been watching it in order to get a mileage upgrade to business first on it. It's one of the hardest flights to get an upgrade on, unless you are a top tier frequent flyer on UA. I've just managed to get a swap from arriving at LHR to MAN on that flight from IAD for next May, and guess what it is a Tuesday flight. Hopefully it will go back to 7 days a week in January as the timetable shows.
Which flight are you referring to...the direct or non direct flight from Dulles to Manchester?
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:18 pm

Which flight are you referring to...the direct or non direct flight from Dulles to Manchester?
The direct UA100
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury

The return flights from Manchester are pretty full too. I just booked for the return direct flight 101 back from Manchester towards the end of the month and seat availability was relatively low. Odd that they would reduce the flights to five days a week when they seem to be getting such high passenger loadings.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:15 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I did BRS-EWR on a Continental 757. Never again. Transatlantic was terrible.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:24 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by civilservant
Yeah, I did BFS-EWR on a CO 757 when I was moving here. I'd have been way better flying BA and connecting in Heathrow, then I'd have had a 777 or 747 instead.

Well, you live and learn
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by civilservant
That's the plane they fly to Manchester from Newark. I'd rather fly on that than change at Heathrow...I hate non direct flights.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yeah, I did BFS-EWR on a CO 757
EWR-LIM several years ago on CO, similar time actually. Only niggle was the trolley getting in the way, oh and the lack of IFE (at the time - might be different now).

I'd have been way better flying BA

and connecting in Heathrow

Been there, done that. I've only been in BA business class a couple of times internationally and it was still rubbish. Ever heard of a business class running out of food? Or asking a steward for a drink because the snack bar is empty, and getting an "I'm busy, give me a few minutes"? Welcome to BA.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:37 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Been there, done that. I've only been in BA business class a couple of times internationally and it was still rubbish. Ever heard of a business class running out of food? Or asking a steward for a drink because the snack bar is empty, and getting an "I'm busy, give me a few minutes"? Welcome to BA.
I fly Club World a lot and quite like it. It's one of the best business class seats in the sky according to Business Traveler Magazine, but BA's service can be patchy (which can be said about most airlines I think, maybe apart from some Asia-based ones).

I frequent the BA forum on Flyertalk quite a bit, and I've never heard of reports of them running out of food. Do you mean running our of your first or second choices of main course, or totally out of any kind of food? (Bit of a horrifying thought).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.